• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

For ski history buffs....re: my site

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Thanks to all of you who have sent me emails, PM's and AIM's regarding my site being down. I am aware that it is once again down. It was down a good part of Sunday and then came on for a while. It went down again on Monday some time and has been down since. The PROBLEM is with the SERVER. I have asked them for an ETA but can not get one, they just say soon. They have been saying this since about 6 last night.

For those who asked...NO, I have not given up on the site...Yes, I have paid my bill, and NO, I do not want to sell the site....

Thanks for asking and thanks for letting me know the site is down.

Laurie

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I JUST got this!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED: SEPT. 27, 2005 @ 4:00PM PT - We regret to inform you that the recent security update of our Windows servers did not complete successfully on one of the machines. We are currently investigating to find out why the update failed to install properly and are getting ready to reinstall the update once again while taking additional precautions to ensure a problem-free installation. We estimate about 12 hours until the update is finalized and tested. Sites should start popping back up during this time.

Greg

Staff member
Pretty unacceptable. Get a new host. JaguarPC has been great for us.

bvibert

Staff member
I hope they get it back up soon, though I think I'd be looking for a more reliable host.

bvibert

Staff member
If you are looking for a new host take a look at Site5. Their rates seem pretty good (at least they were when I ordered, haven't shopped around recently) and their service has been excellent.

If you decide to switch don't let the price be the only factor, there are hosting review sites out there where you can people's first hand experiences with a particular company.

bvibert

Staff member
ozskier said:
Hell, go nuts. Do it yourself! Buy a static IP internet connection and get yourself a cheap Mac Mini ;-)

Or, for the more hardcore, run a red-hat box ;-)

I always thought it would be cool to do something like that... :)

ozskier

Website
instagram.com
bvibert said:
ozskier said:
Hell, go nuts. Do it yourself! Buy a static IP internet connection and get yourself a cheap Mac Mini ;-)

Or, for the more hardcore, run a red-hat box ;-)

I always thought it would be cool to do something like that... :)

It really couldn't be any easier with the Mac Mini. You simply enable it in the system preferences, instant webserver!

kcyanks1

teachski said:
I JUST got this!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED: SEPT. 27, 2005 @ 4:00PM PT - We regret to inform you that the recent security update of our Windows servers did not complete successfully on one of the machines. We are currently investigating to find out why the update failed to install properly and are getting ready to reinstall the update once again while taking additional precautions to ensure a problem-free installation. We estimate about 12 hours until the update is finalized and tested. Sites should start popping back up during this time.

Windows?? :-(

ozskier

Website
instagram.com
kcyanks1 said:
teachski said:
I JUST got this!

Windows?? :-(

I'm going to put on my I.T. hat for a minute and call these chumps out. If your IIS server is waxed because of an update you simply restore from the last good known backup. It is common sense.

Not to mention, if you've got paying customers that host sites off your IIS box and you don't have a disaster recovery plan / backup IIS box and some sort of disaster recovery backup software... You're in the wrong business.

Sorry to subject the non geeks to that rant.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I have all of my materials backed up here! My stuff was NOT the issue. It is NOW back up. They gave us a free month for the hassle. I am going to look though...this is happening WAY too much.

Also, about the windows...when I got the site I didn't know any better!

bvibert

Staff member
teachski said:
I have 6000MB of space here.

But how much of that do you actually use? No use paying for space you're not going to use...

Not that I'm one to talk, I have 3GB and am only using about 800MB... My wife is working really hard at filling it up though... ;)

teachski

Website
teachski.com
3000 right now and I have a lot more stuff to upload...if I can get that part of my site working again...I am trying to upload some now and it is not working...I have a ticket in and a live chat too.