• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Auction: 173 cm K2 Cabrawler mogul skis w/ Look PX12s

2knees

Out of curiosity, why are you ditching the cabrawlers? you're just breaking them in now and poof, time for a new pair? i'm not effin around for once either, i'm asking a real adult question here....

Greg

Staff member
Out of curiosity, why are you ditching the cabrawlers? you're just breaking them in now and poof, time for a new pair? i'm not effin around for once either, i'm asking a real adult question here....

When I was seriously considering bump skis, I wanted the Twister based on the overwhelming positive reviews, but they (the green ones) were impossible to find at the time. I got a decent deal on the Cabrawlers which was second on my list so I went with that. "Just breaking them in?" I've skied them for 2 years and probably have 60+ days on them so I figure I got my money's worth already. Would they last me another year? Yes, but when I saw the Twister was released in a LE this year, I said to myself if they still have 175s in the spring, I'm going to buy a pair for the spring bump season. Part of justifying that purchase is hoping I could sell the Cabs to someone that would like to try a pair of bump skis on the cheap. If I don't sell them, no big deal, but I figure go for the Twisters now hoping I could sell them while there is still life left in them vs. buying new bump skis sometime next year and throwing the Cabs in the garbage.

2knees

When I was seriously considering bump skis, I wanted the Twister based on the overwhelming positive reviews, but they (the green ones) were impossible to find at the time. I got a decent deal on the Cabrawlers which was second on my list so I went with that. "Just breaking them in?" I've skied them for 2 years and probably have 60+ days on them so I figure I got my money's worth already. Would they last me another year? Yes, but when I saw the Twister was released in a LE this year, I said to myself if they still have 175s in the spring, I'm going to buy a pair for the spring bump season. Part of justifying that purchase is hoping I could sell the Cabs to someone that would like to try a pair of bump skis on the cheap. If I don't sell them, no big deal, but I figure go for the Twisters now hoping I could sell them while there is still life left in them vs. buying new bump skis sometime next year and throwing the Cabs in the garbage.

got it. i really meant just getting used to them, but i didnt realize you had that many days on them either.

Greg

Staff member
got it. i really meant just getting used to them, but i didnt realize you had that many days on them either.

It surprised me too when I really thought about it, but it's the only ski I ski on at Sundown and even skied them elsewhere from time to time too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
. A bump ski does better on groomers than a race ski does in the bumps.

I don't think you can quantifiable say that. It really depends. Back when I had race skis; both GS or SL, I had no issues skiing them in the bumps....now we're talking 15 years ago. Back when I had bump skis, I did have big issues with chatter taking those over 40 mph......but we're also talking 15 years ago :lol:

If I was to chose between a GS ski with a softer tip or a bump ski for all mountain use, the GS ski would be my choice.

2knees

I don't think you can quantifiable say that. It really depends. Back when I had race skis; both GS or SL, I had no issues skiing them in the bumps....now we're talking 15 years ago. Back when I had bump skis, I did have big issues with chatter taking those over 40 mph......but we're also talking 15 years ago :lol:

If I was to chose between a GS ski with a softer tip or a bump ski for all mountain use, the GS ski would be my choice.

best bump ski i ever owned was the old K2 Comps. a pure slalom ski.

deadheadskier

Staff member
best bump ski i ever owned was the old K2 Comps. a pure slalom ski.

I would say the Rossi 4M for me, which were basically the same skis as the the 4S (which I also had) with a slightly softer tip. I also skied a set of 203 7G's in the bumps without much issue. The other bump ski I had back then were Salomon Force 9 3s's, which were great for the first 20 days in the bumps, then turned into total noodles.

bvibert

Staff member
Hmm. We have the same BSL right? :idea: You could crank the DIN a bit and be on your way! ;) Plus they're nice and untuned just the way you like them. :lol:

I know, that's why they're tempting... BTW, I ski my bump skis at a DIN of 6, mostly because I don't have the right screw driver to adjust the heel setting. :oops: I recently upped the toe setting to 7 though, since I keep popping out of the toe..

If I had an extra $150 hanging around I'd probably pick them up just to compare to the Heads.

2knees

I would say the Rossi 4M for me, which were basically the same skis as the the 4S (which I also had) with a slightly softer tip. I also skied a set of 203 7G's in the bumps without much issue. The other bump ski I had back then were Salomon Force 9 3s's, which were great for the first 20 days in the bumps, then turned into total noodles.

the 4M's and the 4S's (the teal ones) were a staple back in the 80's. Desovitch, Aldegheri et al were all using them at one point.

I could never get into the 4S or the 4M. it always felt like the ski was shooting out from under me. I'm definitely in the minority on that opinion though.

2knees

If I had an extra $150 hanging around I'd probably pick them up just to compare to the Heads.

if you had an extra $150 laying around, you'd buy them just so you could sleep with gregs skis.

bet you'd spoon 'em every night too........

:wink: :lol: :razz: :flame: :smash:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Think Carmichael was on the 4 then 7M to, perhaps Chuck Martin too. I believe Edgar was on Harts though. I actually had an autographed poster by Steve back in the day.

Ahh, my skiing idols as a kid. It's funny, I could name half a dozen competitive bump skiers from the 80's, but the only one that comes to mind today is Dale Begg Smith. Same goes for 'extreme' skiers :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
if you had an extra $150 laying around, you'd buy them just so you could sleep with gregs skis.

bet you'd spoon 'em every night too........

Yeah that's right... :roll:

I guess this is a bad time to admit that I just bought a pair poles like Greg's :lol:

Greg

Staff member
mondeo and I are tied in the "they want to be like me" contest. :razz:

2knees

Think Carmichael was on the 4 then 7M to, perhaps Chuck Martin too. I believe Edgar was on Harts though. I actually had an autographed poster by Steve back in the day.

Ahh, my skiing idols as a kid. It's funny, I could name half a dozen competitive bump skiers from the 80's, but the only one that comes to mind today is Dale Begg Smith. Same goes for 'extreme' skiers :lol:

I'm the same way. and i only know of Dale Begg Smith cause of the mogul board.

Grospiron and Desovitch were my favorites though. i still can watch video of those guys. I was on outer limits one day back in the 80's and Desovitch was there screwing around. he was ripping the shit out of it and threw a spread twist off just a regular bump in his line. i was standing about 10 feet away and just about passed out from excitement. the guy was literally above my head on these huge skis. just incredible to watch.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm the same way. and i only know of Dale Begg Smith cause of the mogul board.

Grospiron and Desovitch were my favorites though. i still can watch video of those guys. I was on outer limits one day back in the 80's and Desovitch was there screwing around. he was ripping the shit out of it and threw a spread twist off just a regular bump in his line. i was standing about 10 feet away and just about passed out from excitement. the guy was literally above my head on these huge skis. just incredible to watch.

That's where I got Steve to sign a poster of him that the ski shop on the corner of 4 and 100 gave to me. In the lodge at Bear after drooling over him ripping it up. Who knows, could've been the same day you were there. Used to see all those guys as well as Donna, whom I still had the hots for even though she kind of looked like a man :lol:

Part of me wishes they'd do competitions without the standard airs like most of the amateur ones in the 80's were like. The first couple bumps and bamboo comps at Okemo didn't have airs and you just had to take air wherever you could. As impressive as the arrials are that the competitors do today, I'm always equally as impressed by some one who goes big just right in the the middle of the field and lands without missing a beat.

powbmps

That's where I got Steve to sign a poster of him that the ski shop on the corner of 4 and 100 gave to me. In the lodge at Bear after drooling over him ripping it up. Who knows, could've been the same day you were there. Used to see all those guys as well as Donna, whom I still had the hots for even though she kind of looked like a man :lol:

Part of me wishes they'd do competitions without the standard airs like most of the amateur ones in the 80's were like. The first couple bumps and bamboo comps at Okemo didn't have airs and you just had to take air wherever you could. As impressive as the arrials are that the competitors do today, I'm always equally as impressed by some one who goes big just right in the the middle of the field and lands without missing a beat.

I remember seeing Donna at Killington when I was in high school. Donna told me she liked my earring. I had to go spend some quality time alone after that.

The Bumpalooza Sugarbush comp this Sunday is supposed to be set up old school. No built jumps I believe. Just catching whatever air you can off of the moguls.

powbmps

the 4M's and the 4S's (the teal ones) were a staple back in the 80's. Desovitch, Aldegheri et al were all using them at one point.

I could never get into the 4S or the 4M. it always felt like the ski was shooting out from under me. I'm definitely in the minority on that opinion though.

I'm with you on that. I never was into the 4M. Stuck to the Vertical/Assault until I destroyed one at Killington. Back then they were foam core, so I switched to a wood core ski.

powbmps

You're right about those Salomons. I had a pair of Super Force 9 3s's (I think that's what they were called). Didn't even last half of a season. Foam was hanging out the sidewall.