• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Job Mountain 9/27/2005

Skier75

Date(s) Hiked: September 27,2005

Trails(s) Hiked: Blue Job Mountain

Total Distance: 1 mile(?) 1357'

Difficulty: easy

Conditions: clear, windy

Special Required Equipment: day pack, lunch, drink, camera, dog, dog leash

Trip Report:

The day started out as taking care of my work search endeavors. I initially considered doing a bike ride along the coast(Porstmouth), since I was going to be in that area in the morning. When I got up in the morning, I decovered that it was pretty windy, so I opted out of the bike ride. Not that I couldn't do it, but my right quad was still a little sore from the previous weekends hiking.

Well, after taking care of my morning business, I drove to the area where the website said the trail was to begin. Now, I knew this was going to be easy, that's another reason I decided to do this instead of biking, but I didn't know how "easy" it was going to be. The website didn't give a whole lot of information about the two trails leading to the top. So I figured I'd just wing it to see what I could find.

Here's what the website said: "Blue Job Mountain serves up rugged terrain to those ready to mix abandoned roads with steep climbing. The route travels up the exposed, sometimes windswept granite surface of Little Blue Job, stopping in the midst of low bush blueberry fields. You'll have a climbing option to the top of Blue Job Mountain itself, and pass other spots of local renown, including Little Niagara and Barn Door Gap. Trail Surface: Singletrack, doubletrack, 4WD roads, gravel roads, and pavement..."

Our dog(Suzy) and I arrived at the parking lot about 12:30pm and I hadn't had lunch yet, so I figured I'd try to wait until I got to the top for a view to eat. The two trails started out in the same area, one went to the left and one to the right. I started out to the right, but the trail wasn't as well marked as most trails are, so I turned around and went the other way. I figured I'd better stick to easily marked trails, so I wouldn't get lost, not that I would, but just to be cautious. Suzy was pretty anxious to get going, she loves to go for walks. She seems to always know which way to go...she just starts out, on up the trail.

Shortly I came upon a sign saying "Fire Tower", so of course I wanted to go that way. After about 5 min I came to a view that had a cell tower and thought, is this it??? I checked it out, but the trail continued on, so off I went. Most of the trail had a lot of pines with the needles laying all over and was a very open area so it just looked like a walk through the woods. I came upon what looked like part an old paved roadway leading up the "trail". I could see another cell tower from there with the Fire Tower along with it. This was actually kinda steep, but obviously not that bad. Well I got to the towers and thought, WOW, this is it??? All of this took me about a whole 20 min. to reach it. I though well this is kinda boring, but I wanted to get some exercise in for the day, so I figured what the heck?

The two towers were perched on a rocky area with a cabin(ranger station?) and an outhouse off to the side. There was a little bit of a view, but wasn't too exciting. I thought about going up the Fire Tower to check it out, but still haven't eaten yet, so I stopped on a rock and had my lunch. I figured if I could go up the tower, there would probably be a better view. After I finished I wanted to go up the tower, but didn't want Suzy to, so I tied her at the bottom, because of course she thought I was going to let her go up. I made it up to the second landing, that was it for me. This was about the time I wished my husband was with me, he would've made me feel more secure and would've attempted to go all the way up. I'm such a scaredy-cat...can't help it.

After I came down to see if there was anything else to see, a woman came up with her two dogs and we chatted for a bit. She informed me that there was another peak with a better view with a pond and she was heading that way, so I asked her if I could tag along since I didn't know the area. I was going to go that way anyway, but I wouldn't have known about that if it wasn't for her. The trail went up a short way, then down a little bit where there was a rock wall with signs saying that part of this was private land, separating the trail from the privately owned portion. You were still able to stay along the trail without bothering the private area.

From the rock wall there was open, exposed ledges leading to an area that was the other peak. Just before the other peak was a small pond that Suzy wanted to go in, but I didn't want her to get all wet. There was a trail that went around the pond going either left or right, so we opted going to the left of the pond leading up to the "top". Boy was it windy up there! For such a small, easy hike it had a great view! There was a 360 degree view from there. The direction of where the sea was, you could see how flat it was and in the other direction you could see the White Mountains! I thought, I've got to get my husband up here! This would be an awsome quick get-away for snowshoeing. Great reward for such an easy hike! Standing there you could see that the Fire Tower wasn't that far away. We didn't hang around there for very long since it was so windy, a little chilly because of the exposed area. Just as we were getting ready to leave another guy showed up with two Chocolate Labs, very pretty well behaved dogs.

On our way back past the pond, Suzy went ahead of me(I don't leash her unless I have to), she listens(usually) very well that I don't need to.....but she ended up getting her underside wet from going in the pond. I scolded her a little, but she seemed happy to cool off a bit, silly dog. The woman I met, her two dogs, Suzy, and I left for the Fire Tower, then down the "other" trail from the top, to check that part out. This is the trail she came up with her two dogs. I wanted to see how this trail was, it was more rockier and just a little bit steeper than the other side(if you want to call this mountain steep), nonetheless it was steeper. I think it took all of about 15 min to get down, only because I was looking around to see if there were any other views to be had. Not much of views going up or coming down, but the second peak was well worth the trip.

I told my husband this mountain reminded me of a mountain in Maine(Bradberry Mtn) that had similarities, but only with a better view. Just a short, easy jaunt through the woods to the top for some moderate exercise. I really think this would be a great mountain for snowshoeing or just a small hike, to get a quick fix or yearning for a hike that's so close by us without having to drive for two hours.

Well I realize this is a pretty long story for such a small (hill)mountain, but it was my first solo(except for dog)hike, ever. I wanted to experience what it would be like to do it alone. :beer: I still like to hike with someone(husband, friend, whoever) to share the experiences.