• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anybody still not wear a helmet???

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I don't wear a helmet.

I've been meaning to get one for a few years now, but I haven't found one that I liked, fit well, and was on sale. It's basically buy a helmet or go skiing 2 extra days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm curious, and not being judgemental even if it looks like it. Do non-helmet users, buckle up when driving? To be honest, I don't buckle 100% of the time, more like 90%.

If I've had a few too many beers, I sometimes forget to buckle up. Other than that, I always wear my seat belt.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Haha. I always wear my seat belt. But the better analogy is why don't any of you wear a helmet when you're driving? There isn't a NASCAR driver alive who doesn't wear one on the track. That's about the same as comparing what I do to a Freerider, XGames athlete, racer, etc.

I don't mind you guys getting sanctimonious and dickish about this, but I guess I'm not interested in getting into this argument again. I just saw the thread and answered the question. It'd be better if you just let people make their own decisions when it comes to how they treat themselves. Do you accost everyone you see smoking a cigarette in a parking lot for their decisions? No? Then don't bother me.

(And, for the record, I own 3 helmets and wear one of them when I'm doing stupid stuff in the park)

Cannonball

Haha. I always wear my seat belt. But the better analogy is why don't any of you wear a helmet when you're driving? There isn't a NASCAR driver alive who doesn't wear one on the track. That's about the same as comparing what I do to a Freerider, XGames athlete, racer, etc.

I don't mind you guys getting sanctimonious and dickish about this, but I guess I'm not interested in getting into this argument again. I just saw the thread and answered the question. It'd be better if you just let people make their own decisions when it comes to how they treat themselves. Do you accost everyone you see smoking a cigarette in a parking lot for their decisions? No? Then don't bother me.

Not all of them. Only the ones that call me a douchey, smarmy gaper for protecting my vital organs.

But I 100% agree that personal responsibility is where it's at. Totally cool with me if you don't wear a helmet. And I'm sincere when I say I hope it never ends up mattering, and most likely it won't. My helmets have bailed me out a few times so I like wearing them. And not a bad point about the analogy of wearing one while driving. I've done that a couple of times on the very short ride from my house to the slopes. Every time I've thought, "man this would add a TON of protection in a crash". But still I don't typically wear one for driving, so I guess I'm kinda a hypocritical.

MadMadWorld

(And, for the record, I own 3 helmets and wear one of them when I'm doing stupid stuff in the park)

Where a helmet or not it's your right. I just found it funny that your main reason for not wearing one is because it's not fashionable. For not trying to look like a gaper, you sure sound like one.

And the car analogy is terribly flawed. Most cars these days have a frame and airbags to protect you in an emergency. A better analogy would be riding a motorcycle. I don't want to throw numbers out there but I'm pretty confident at least 90% of riders wear helmets these days. And a lot wear more than that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

mattchuck2

Website
Where a helmet or not it's your right. I just found it funny that your main reason for not wearing one is because it's not fashionable. For not trying to look like a gaper, you sure sound like one.

And the car analogy is terribly flawed. Most cars these days have a frame and airbags to protect you in an emergency. A better analogy would be riding a motorcycle. I don't want to throw numbers out there but I'm pretty confident at least 90% of riders wear helmets these days. And a lot wear more than that.

I sound like a gaper, but you don't know how to spell "wear"? Okay...

And regardless of whether cars have airbags, there's no doubt that you'd be safer if you wore a helmet. Just like you'd be safer if you wore a bulletproof vest everywhere you went. Or wore a big rubber bubble around yourself when you ski so you just bounce off of things. You've made a decision that the increase in safety you get isn't worth looking weird. I make the same decision.

dlague

I sound like a gaper, but you don't know how to spell "wear"? Okay...

And regardless of whether cars have airbags, there's no doubt that you'd be safer if you wore a helmet. Just like you'd be safer if you wore a bulletproof vest everywhere you went. Or wore a big rubber bubble around yourself when you ski so you just bounce off of things. You've made a decision that the increase in safety you get isn't worth looking weird. I make the same decision.

Funny I think wearing a helmet is very common place. I do look at those who do not wear one the same way I look at some one who is wearing jeans to ski! Is it because they can't afford it? Is it because if somethig happens to them - well they got that way doing some thing fun?

I liken no helmets to a seventies look!

In any case it is your choice - your head - your brain!

On a seperate note -

The next generation will be used to it since some states and others are following are requiring helment for minors age 17 and under. For them as adults it will be common place! In the near future and in the eyes of our kids as they get older - no helmet = gaper!

dmc

There's lot's of pro big mountain skiers that don't wear them..

Hawkshot99

I cant see where you live, so dont know the laws for bikes. I live in NY were helmets are the law so they are always worn. As soon as I cross over into CT (helmets not required) I would say 80% of all the bikes I see are not wearing helmets.
Helmets should never be required for anybody on any form of motion, but I will always choose to wear mine, and respect the choices of others to jot wear them.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

MadMadWorld

I cant see where you live, so dont know the laws for bikes. I live in NY were helmets are the law so they are always worn. As soon as I cross over into CT (helmets not required) I would say 80% of all the bikes I see are not wearing helmets.
Helmets should never be required for anybody on any form of motion, but I will always choose to wear mine, and respect the choices of others to jot wear them.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

I'll take your word that just seems incredibly low but I agree no one should be forced to wear a helmet. If someone wants to risk their own life that is their business.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Disagree on helmets for motorcycles not being a requirement by law. Sorry but even though an individual is riding you are part of a group pool regarding vehicle and health insurance rates. If a rider's risky behavior of not wearing a helmet raises the rates of all, then I think its more than fair that a law mandates the use of a helmet. UNLESS the rider is willing to forfeit their personal coverage of vehicle and health insurance should they choose to not wear a helmet.

hammer

I couldn't imagine not wearing a helmet at this point. It would be like not wearing gloves for me.
That's how I am...always wore one from the time I started skiing on a regular basis.

When it comes to safety equipment of any kind, I never have a problem with people who decide not to use it. My only beef is when those same people do have an accident and then try to make others pay for the risk they took.

You don't wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle and then get into an accident with my car? I don't care if I'm at fault, if the helmet could have saved you serious head injuries and you decided not to wear it then I should not be liable for your medical bills.

:stirpot:

MadMadWorld

Disagree on helmets for motorcycles not being a requirement by law. Sorry but even though an individual is riding you are part of a group pool regarding vehicle and health insurance rates. If a rider's risky behavior of not wearing a helmet raises the rates of all, then I think its more than fair that a law mandates the use of a helmet. UNLESS the rider is willing to forfeit their personal coverage of vehicle and health insurance should they choose to not wear a helmet.

I like that idea a lot.

mattchuck2

Website
Kind of weird to bring up group health insurance rates. Rates for health insurance would be lower if people didn't ski. Does that mean we should ban skiing? Or force people to forego health insurance if they partake in a "dangerous" activity like skiing or driving a car? One of the most basic freedoms is the freedom to be an idiot if you're not affecting other people. Yes, group health insurance rates are slightly higher if a few people don't wear helmets on motorcycles, but they're a lot higher because half the country is obese. Should we go around slapping burgers out of people's hands?