• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anybody still not wear a helmet???

Geoff

helmet use

Along with the "I'm cooler than you, I don't wear one".

So according to you, I'm risking certain death by leaving the helmet in the car on sunny spring days? I'm amazed you ever get out of bed in the morning without putting on your helmet. It's a frightening world out there. How do you wash your hair? You could slip in the bath tub so a helmet is obviously essential there. Far more deaths from slipping in the bathtub than the 40 or so deaths on the slopes every year.

Like driving a SUV?

That's a pretty good analogy. The same guys who are upside-down in the median strip are also wearing helmets and skiing beyond their control envelope. At 30 mph, a helmet ain't gonna do a heck of a lot if you hit something. The embalmer might have a little less cleanup to do.

One of the reasons I wear a helmet, if I get hit by one of these people, it is just more protection I have.

"Those people" aren't usually found on steeper mush bumps. They're found on the boring Okemo-style groomers. I don't ski that terrain. When they do venture onto the ungroomed terrain, they're usually stationary.

I happen to ski Okemo among other areas, but do not where a speed suit, so who are you talking about?

I assumed you must be one of those speed suit guys. I figured you would go out of your mind with boredom otherwise. I guess I made a bad assumption.

This is one area, I agree with you on. But Ms. Richardson was on a beginner green trail in the similar type spring conditions, the same argument could be said for that terrain.

I'm more likely to get a concussion walking across an icy parking lot.

But if you have an issue with anyone, talk to GS, he started the thread questioning people who don't.

GSS didn't flame me for saying that I don't wear a helmet on sunny spring days. You did. I'm not condemning you for wearing a helmet and I think you should STFU about my choice to leave it in the car on warm days. I'm going out to ski some trees with my helmet. They were pretty fun yesterday after the surprise snow. When it's 50 and sunny later this week, my head gear will be sunglasses and coppertone. Enjoy your week in your flatland cubicle.

Enough flames. I suggest you avoid that rolling eyes icon. It pisses me off.

Philpug

Enough flames. I suggest you avoid that rolling eyes icon. It pisses me off.
There were NO flames, just points. There was not ONE :roll: in that post.

Besides, I wouldn't want to piss YOU off.:roll: :wink::wink::wink:

As far as my upcoming week, it is not in a cubicle, I am headed out to Steamboat for a couple of days of cat skiing then up to Big Sky and Bridger for a week+ of skiing.

Okemo, although it has very nice groomers, the trees are fun in SuperNova a few other trails and great seaded bumps on Blackout and Sel's to name a few.

I skied for 30 years w/o a helmet, it is your choice not to wear one, my choice to wear one, I just feel there is more reasons to wear one than there is NOT to.

Last edited:

Philpug

I thought you were referring to the previous post that you quoted. yeah, there was a :roll: in that one. I will take that one back, it was kinda redundant after the comment.

ripzillia

Good morning GSS. I noticed almost everyone wears a helmet where I ski. Of course me being one of the NOT. Started skiing before the helmets were in use so an old dog and new tricks. It doesn't take much to put out the lights.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I don't get the problem here. We live in America. There is no helmet law (as of yet) so live and let live.

As with any risk protection...it all boils down to the value one puts on the asset being protected vs. the cost of the insurance.

Trekchick

I wear a helmet when I ski, bike and ride motorcycle.

I don't bug folks around me who don't wear a helmet to get one, but I do make comments on how comfy my helmet is and how much I prefer it over wearing a hat, which is true.

I have three friends who wear helmets because of my casual comments, and all three will attest to the fact that they love their helmet(s) for comfort, never mind the protection factor.

That being said.........
my Brother in Law works in Radiology for a major hospital in our area.
One night he called my sister (his wife) on the phone after doing a cat scan on a kid that had been brought in to the hospital from the ski area.

Tim - "Brandi, do you wear a helmet when you ski?"
Brandi - "No."
Tim - Why?
Brandi- I don't like how it smooshes my hair
Tim - You won't be skiing any more unless you promise me you'll wear a helmet

* Tim never orders Brandi to do anything. She knew something he saw in radiology really disturbed him. She wears a helmet and doesn't worry about her hair.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I wear a helmet when I ski, bike and ride motorcycle.

I don't bug folks around me who don't wear a helmet to get one, but I do make comments on how comfy my helmet is and how much I prefer it over wearing a hat, which is true.

I have three friends who wear helmets because of my casual comments, and all three will attest to the fact that they love their helmet(s) for comfort, never mind the protection factor.

That being said.........
my Brother in Law works in Radiology for a major hospital in our area.
One night he called my sister (his wife) on the phone after doing a cat scan on a kid that had been brought in to the hospital from the ski area.

Tim - "Brandi, do you wear a helmet when you ski?"
Brandi - "No."
Tim - Why?
Brandi- I don't like how it smooshes my hair
Tim - You won't be skiing any more unless you promise me you'll wear a helmet

* Tim never orders Brandi to do anything. She knew something he saw in radiology really disturbed him. She wears a helmet and doesn't worry about her hair.
Helmet hair rocks!:cool:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I try to ski as fast as possible without a helmet, and only really have fun doing so when I'm shiat faced drunk.

Or under the influence of some other mind altering, preferably halucinogenic substance. Or a combination of both.

I try to ski as fast as possible without a helmet, and only really have fun doing so when I'm shiat faced drunk.

Or under the influence of some other mind altering, preferably halucinogenic substance. Or a combination of both.

times 2...FKNA!!!! Skiing on a combination of acid and schrooms rocks..it makes Blue mountain seem like Jackson Hole!!!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Still doesn't answer the question. Protects the heads of recreational skiers from what? Trees? Falling on ice? Other skiers? Lift tower padding? And what does protection entail? No damage? 50% reduction in damage?

The basic function of a helmet is to increase the amount of time it takes for the head to slow down, which reduces the acceleration/force seen by the head. Any helmet will do this no matter what the speed. My point is that a blanket statement that helmets protect skiers up to 17mph is highly incomplete, and almost useless.

That and to distribute the force from an impact over a greater area.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I love when I'm done mountain biking and my hair is sticking up just slightly in the areas where the vents are, while the rest of my hair is thoroughly matted down.
Post mountain biking hair, is on a totally different level of coolness then post skiing hair. :cool::-D

Philpug

I love when I'm done mountain biking and my hair is sticking up just slightly in the areas where the vents are, while the rest of my hair is thoroughly matted down.

And what about us guys with not enough hair to get helmet hair???? Sucks for us.

rocojerry

pretty much always for me, my friend who's been skiing 20+ years says his helmet slows him down...
At least he is accepting the additional wind-drag caused by snowpants/jackets....