• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anybody still not wear a helmet???

Morwax

I went without a helmet for a long long time. Figured id used up all my lucky breaks and close calls.
Wear it for your family and loved ones as they will be the ones that will have to visit you in rehab push you around in your chair.

drjeff

Just about any tall person will tell you that helmets are great for the inevitable few times a year when loading a fixed grip chair with a footrest and the safety bar comes flying down on the back of your head just after you load the chair! :eek:

Plus, if I didn't wear one, I'd never hear the end of it from my 2 kid about why THEY have to wear one, but I don't

Morwax

Just about any tall person will tell you that helmets are great for the inevitable few times a year when loading a fixed grip chair with a footrest and the safety bar comes flying down on the back of your head just after you load the chair! :eek:

Plus, if I didn't wear one, I'd never hear the end of it from my 2 kid about why THEY have to wear one, but I don't
Im not that tall, under 6 ft and ive been womped by the safety bar too many times to count:-o

Warp Daddy

Wayne; Looks like a close call bud . Good that you asked your docs but it may be prudent to get a seriously thorough medical evaluation rather than casual observation. concussions are serious business.

It may be wise to chill out till you get really examined -- better to live to ski next yr than just get a few cheap thrills that may be left this season -- just sayin. You 've got a lifetime of skiing on your radar screen partner so don't be rushin' it -- Be well bud !! :D

I empathize with you on the small huck thing having done a similar stunt 2 weeks ago and ending up with a serious back jamming job . I didn't biff but the impact was less than stellar and i'm just now feeling human again.

vibes

Terry

Wow.

WJenness - That crack on the back really does look like the width of a ski, doesn't it. Did you say you held it up and they matched up? Had your skis come off?
My wife said that you did not lose your skis off. From the sounds of things you probably don't remember.

roark

Geez Wayne. Take it easy. I didn't realize the seriousness of your fall Friday, probably should've skied down with you.

Yes - your skis stayed on.

planb420

Can I ask why? I am always surprised to see how many park riders don't wear helmets. That seems like the most important place to have one. I've always wanted to hear a good reason for it, now is my chance. So what is it?

My reason...I HATE feeling like a life sized bobble head, and I have been riding so long w/o one that I just cant seem to get comfortable with one on. Maybe as I age my resistance to it will fade, but for now I just dont want to wear it...I'm sure its not what your looking to hear but that is my honest opinion personally.:roll:

Cannonball

My reason...I HATE feeling like a life sized bobble head, and I have been riding so long w/o one that I just cant seem to get comfortable with one on. Maybe as I age my resistance to it will fade, but for now I just dont want to wear it...I'm sure its not what your looking to hear but that is my honest opinion personally.:roll:

I wasn't looking to hear anything in particular. Since I've never been able to think up a single reason not to wear one (and a million reason to wear one) I just wanted an honest personal explanation. Which is what you gave. Thanks.

BenedictGomez

I've never worn one a day in my life, but I recently decided to get one. Wisdom finally coming with age I suppose.

I'll wait for the sales at the end of the season, partly to save $$$ and partly because I dont know the first thing about them so I need to do some research. The first thing I've noticed is that they seem unreasonably expensive given the fact that all they are is a glorified bike helmet.

WJenness

Geez... wow...

Thanks for the more info...

Terry, I don't remember that conversation with you, your wife, or the ski patrol at all...

I feel fine today... but I still plan on taking it easy for a while.

As I said, I've got an appointment with my doc on Friday anyway, so I'll be bringing it up with him then...

Thanks again to everyone who looked after me on Friday.

-w

planb420

I wasn't looking to hear anything in particular. Since I've never been able to think up a single reason not to wear one (and a million reason to wear one) I just wanted an honest personal explanation. Which is what you gave. Thanks.

I can respect that...:-D

drjeff

I've never worn one a day in my life, but I recently decided to get one. Wisdom finally coming with age I suppose.

I'll wait for the sales at the end of the season, partly to save $$$ and partly because I dont know the first thing about them so I need to do some research. The first thing I've noticed is that they seem unreasonably expensive given the fact that all they are is a glorified bike helmet.

When you consider what they're designed to protect, the price isn't too bad ;) :lol:

ERJ-145CA

Bring your goggles when you go to buy one, you not only need a good fit for your head but with the goggles on too.

Cannonball

The first thing I've noticed is that they seem unreasonably expensive given the fact that all they are is a glorified bike helmet.

Not sure what your budget it and what you consider unreasonably expensive. But you can find helmets for less than $50. And the upper end is $150ish. Basically the SAME pricing as bike helmets.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I work in a pediatric practice, so I just had a chat with a bunch of the docs here...

The consensus was that I should take it easy (not play soccer tonight) and monitor... once symptom free for 24 hours, try some light exercise (elliptical, jogging, etc.) and see how that goes... if that's fine step it up again (lift some weights, running, etc.)...

I mentioned I was thinking of skiing on Sunday and I was told that if I can work out and be symptom free a couple times between now and then that it was cool to give it a shot, but to stop immediately if I felt dizzy, got a headache, nausea, etc...

So good news...

-w

What did they say about seeing a Neurologist. I'm surprised they didn't mention it. I waited several months and regret having done so. The symptoms can progress, even though you feel fine just now.

The only problem with my neurologist is that she told me to stop skiing. You know the answer....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Im not that tall, under 6 ft and ive been womped by the safety bar too many times to count:-o

Every single time I get on the chair, I grab the bar and control it coming down. Not only have I been the victim of head whacks, but I've seen one too many knee whacks.
I'd rather control my own destiny and look out for others. I always shout, "ready?"

The odds are that some point you will land on your noggin. My wife got slammed from behind during a lesson, came down on her face and had to go to the ER. Quite bloody. Concussion.

BTW, with my first helmet, I was worried that it would be cold. Often they get too hot, especially ski and bump skiing.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
What did they say about seeing a Neurologist. I'm surprised they didn't mention it. I waited several months and regret having done so. The symptoms can progress, even though you feel fine just now.

The only problem with my neurologist is that she told me to stop skiing. You know the answer....

What happened in your ski accident, Bill? (if it was even a ski accident)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
What happened in your ski accident, Bill? (if it was even a ski accident)

My wife had the ski accident. I've hit my head skiing with my helmet on a few times.

My real accident was a 10 foot hiking fall in a boulder field, that was way more serious than most skiing falls. Serious concussion, brain bleed cracked skull, ICU, 8-hour deep woods evac, 4x4 ambulance, almost died a few times, made that national news. Still suffering some after-effects two years later. Warned that my next concussion will be my last. I've really toned down the skiing, but I still eat bark.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My wife had the ski accident. I've hit my head skiing with my helmet on a few times.

My real accident was a 10 foot hiking fall in a boulder field, that was way more serious than most skiing falls. Serious concussion, brain bleed cracked skull, ICU, 8-hour deep woods evac, 4x4 ambulance, almost died a few times, made that national news. Still suffering some after-effects two years later. Warned that my next concussion will be my last. I've really toned down the skiing, but I still eat bark.

Wow, that's scary... glad you are OK. I've taken so many risks in my life particularly in my late teens / early 20's without ever considering the consequences.

Glad to see you are still on the slopes!