• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs and Mt. Mansfield.

ATskier

Anyone here planning on skiing up there with AT gear this upcoming season?

mergs

ATskier said:

does a new Prior Khyber splitboard count? :beer:

443.jpg

NHpowderhound

I'm not looking at Smuggs or Stowe specificaly but I wont rule it out. My goals for AT this year include Moosilaukee, Gulf of Slides to MW summit without removing skins and perhaps Cardigan.
((*
*))NHPH

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
GoS to Mt Wash summit without removing skins? It's much easier to hike the steep section than do some big switchbacks up there.

I'm sure I'll be on the backside of Stowe on my tele gear this winter.

-dave-

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
ATskier said:
since i have never skied mansfield, can't afford stowe day prices, and am now within a two hour drive, i'll definitely be putting the AT gear to use on mansfield. would love to hit up the bruce and teardrop. if i have some friends with me, i'd love to point my skis in a more north eastern direction from the summit as well.

ATskier

Books.

There are a few books about the trails up there, does anyone know the titles? I've also got new gear this year and want to do some easy climbs and traverses to see how it pans out. Any suggestions for locations nearer to Boston? Moosilauke seems like a tough place to start, too.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
ATskier: check out david goodman's books which cover the more well known trails on mansfield. cardigan would fit for an easy climb closer to boston. or you can look into some lost ski areas.

ATskier

Cardigan

Thanks for the suggestions. I have done Cardigan with x-c gear, small packs and wax, but we didn't go all the way to the summit. The top has about 200 yards of steep, right? How good is the trail from there for teleskiing? Does anyone know about Monadnock? I've climbed it, but never skied it. It's a bit like Cardigan. I'm looking for something about the width of the old auto road on Moosie to ski with telestuff. When it comes to AT, I'm a much more skilled fixed heel skier. It has dawned on me that I could try out my gear by climbing in a ski area without a lift ticket. As it has been stated, the Stowe lift ticket is not cheap. If they receive any snow this year, the Blue Hill would serve my purposes. I also saw on telemarktits.com that Wa-wa was invaded by >>Icky AT types<<. Does Goodman have a book on Ma. and Conn.?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the NY & VT book features the thunderbolt trail on greylock but that's it. my first skin was the TRT to the care takers hut then down the sherbie. hardly uncontrolled backcountry, but a popular and well travelled trail that i could easily do without a group. sherbie is a decent width and not too steep in most places, so it makes a good descent on gear you are not familiar with.

ATskier

Wooops.

Sorry about the typo :roll: By the way, I was wondering if anyone might have a comment on this new six pack going in at Smuggs and the various >>improvements<< they are making. The Sterling Double will be replaced. Is that the lift up Sterling Mountain? Are there any BC trails that will be effected by the increased lift capacity?

skibum1321

There is a discussion about the Smuggs 6 pack here:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/about5695.html

Installing this lift will for sure increase the amount of skiers on the Smuggs slackcountry. Combined with the new quad to the top of Big Spruce, there will be many more skiers going into the Notch from that side. I'm praying that it doesn't happen, but we'll see. And yes, it's up Sterling. The area is already pretty high traffic. There is a trail there that connects Big Spruce and Sterling, so the effect will be seen from both lifts.

ATskier

Actually, the downhill gear I'm using isn't the new gear for me.