• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sports Doc

ctenidae

We need to recruit a member who knows sports medicine, so we can get advice on all the sprains, strains, bumps and scrapes we get. Anybody know a good one that skis? A physical therapist would be good, too.
For instance, once my elbow recovers enough to put weight on it and do stuff, what can I do to help strengthen it quickly? Also, my wife popped her knee working out last night- movement-related symptoms sounds like she popped her ACL, but she wasn't curled up on the floor weeping, so I doubt she broke it, and she's not sore, but if she stands on that leg and bends her knee, it doesn't support her. Any ideas?

See? We need a doc in here.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm not a doctor; can't recommend what to do about that elbow, but I would suggest drinking heavily since it involves bending the elbow alot.

However, I've been down the torn ACL road and what's going on with your wife is a real concern. The main symptom of a torn ACL is the inability of the joint to bear weight. However, with an ACL it's when the joint is extended; when you put weight on it the knee buckles. Very painful and debilitating.

I'm not sure what it means when the knee can't support weight in a flexed position, but I'd have her see an orthopaedist as soon as possible.

JimG.

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Thanks for the advice, but you see why we need a doc around here?

And I thought telling you to drink heavily was good advice. Heck, your doctor is probably drinking heavily right now :beer: .

dmc

Anytime my girl is in pain... I drink...

Helps to dull my pain... ;)

ctenidae

The drinking advice is what I was thanking you for.

The knee issues, we need a doc for. Even (or maybe better) a drunk one.

JimG.

Staff member
ctenidae said:
The knee issues, we need a doc for.

Seriously, do your homework and find a good one. There should be a few world class orthopods in the Boston area.

I know a few in the NYC area, I might be able to get a recommendation for one in your area if you want.

ctenidae

I've gotta talk her into it, first. Her doc's at Mass General, so I'm fairly confident in their ability to turn a good one up. Thanks for the offer, though.

It better not be season-ending serious, though. I'd hate to have to ski alone. I will, but I'd hate to. Well, I'd hate to drive alone, anyway. She says it's sore and won't support weight flexed, but it doesn't hurt otherwise and it isn't swollen, which I'm taking as good signs.

JimG.

Staff member
Brettski said:
"I need to get the advice of a Doctor"

"My Advice to you is to Drink heavily"

"I thought you were pre-law"

"pre-law, pre-med, what's the difference"

Animal House...wait a minute, isn't that another thread?

ctenidae

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The book- I don't think it made it into the movie (which I haven't seen, but no one who has ever gets that reference).

JimG.

Staff member
Talisman said:
I got the reference. Great line from a really funny book.

Me too...that book is a classic. Hunter was a piece of work right up to the end.

Who else would call his ex-wife so that she could hear him pull the trigger?

dmc

Great article in Rolling Stone about his memorial party...
Johnny Depp put on quite a show... Apparently HST had it all planned out - from the giant glowing fist tower holding a peyotte to his ashes being shot into the air in fireworks...

Wish I could've been there...

"Fear and Loathing - campaign trail 72" is a great book too...

RISkier

ctenidae said:
Thanks for the advice, but you see why we need a doc around here?

All a doc could do over the net is offer some reasonably informed speculation and tell you to take her to an orthopod. The orthopod will only speculate about what's going on till and MRI has been completed.

ctenidae

Campaign Trail '72 ranks as one of the funniest, scariest, and most insightful books I've ever read.

You're right, of course, RISkier, but it'd be nice to have experience backing up the speculation. Not that the rest of you aren't experienced, but in general you only have extensive experience with a single case.

There's aren't any lawyers here, either. At least, if there are, they haven't identified themselves, and I can spot a lawyer at 250 yards...