• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday 03/15/09: Wandering around Katahdin/W.Branch area

bigbog

Another beautiful day...just spent booting on top of/through thigh deep snow...around the West Branch/Katahdin area.
Just a few pics below...just of mountain...hiking around was a chore, but sun & temps were encouraging, just forgot to take pics elsewhere...will try harder in a week or two;-)

View from little cutting road, just off main road:
K_offmainroad0315.JPG

from Abol Bridge:
K_fromAbolBridge0315.JPG

Looking towards western end of Katahdin range, Soubunge Mtn..farthest to west, not big, but a steep climb:
looking-towards-western-end.JPG

..and from sandpit area..SE of Knife's Edge end:
K_fromgravelpit0315.JPG

..and view from SE, along main road:
K_fromSE.JPG

Last edited:

bigbog

.....up near Katahdin

Guys....as you all could see, and probably experienced anywhere you were...that was one of those early springtime days...where it was nice anywhere you were...just that the snowpack up there was a little much(thigh deep) if you didn't have a plan....and I honestly didn't.
The road westward from Millinocket to Ripogenus Dam(and a little bit southward on the Golden Rd) is the ONLY paved road, which doesn't bother me once it all becomes woods-dirt, but at this time...with snow still on the roads(judging by our temps up here) mixing with mud...there are 3 small bridges(all wood) over two brooks that aren't exactly wimpy, so I wimped out and turned around. It wouldn't have been worth the hassle of having to dig out if I ever did get hung up..I have NO idea of the snow depth of those ~50mi that was in front of me...heading southward..so there you have it!:lol:...just your touristy pics...
Would've been nice to get some true backcountry/woods pics due south of Katahdin on a day like that...but just didn't get started early enough..
Didn't find any more pics....will try for more stuff this coming weekend..

STeveD

Last edited:

bigbog

...Taco Bell..

Steeze,
Sounds like Billski knows! ...there are a few things in/around Millinocket/E. Millinocket strip...~40min away..
New McDonalds, Subway, and I do think there's a Taco Bell...maybe not..but there's something else.....can't put finger on it... If they don't have TB, would like to see one..
Those pics were taken just off the one paved road leading along WestBranch Penobscot...along southern foot of Katahdin range....via Medway exit off I-95.
$.01

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Steeze,
Sounds like Billski knows! ...there are a few things in/around Millinocket/E. Millinocket strip...~40min away..
New McDonalds, Subway, and I do think there's a Taco Bell...maybe not..but there's something else.....can't put finger on it... If they don't have TB, would like to see one..
Those pics were taken just off the one paved road leading along WestBranch Penobscot...along southern foot of Katahdin range....via Medway exit off I-95.
$.01

I must confess. After a week or two in the wilderness, I do crave a bit of junk food upon emergence from paradise.....:-o

Mike P.

Thanks for the gratuititous Katahdin shots. While waiting for a plane in Dallas, I picked up the latest Backpacker. which has a story on Maine & the Northeast's greatest peak.