• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread 2009

campgottagopee

Never played it myself, but my business partner (who I'm going to the open with), grew up in Bethpage and has played the Black(and the other 4 courses there) many times. Can't wait to see it in person!

Check out # 10 from the tee---260yds just to reach the fairway, I didn't!!!

campgottagopee

Now that's a one SERIOUS poke just to get to the SHORT grass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ain't kiddin----the guy I caddied for (PGA Pro) hit's it long. I'd say 290 carry on avrg---that day it was playing slightly into the wind, he made the fairway by 10 yds and we were praying the the entore time the ball was in the air.

Warp Daddy

You ain't kiddin----the guy I caddied for (PGA Pro) hit's it long. I'd say 290 carry on avrg---that day it was playing slightly into the wind, he made the fairway by 10 yds and we were praying the the entore time the ball was in the air.

Those guys are AWESOME - in all the years i've played i 've hit ONE drive that far .

I hit a VERY LUCKY shot 311 to the apron by cutting a dogleg over a swamp , It was early September the fairway was like CONCRETE from a very dry summer and the ball must have gotten 40 yds of roll , bounce whatever . I looked for the ball at about 260 where i thought it dropped and was pissed when i couldn't find it so i decided to just walk up to the green and just see what is going on here ------------damn near died when i saw the ball on the apron .

. That's one freaking shot i'll never forget, better than my ACE cuz at least i SAW that from the tee box

campgottagopee

Those guys are AWESOME - in all the years i've played i 've hit ONE drive that far .

I hit a VERY LUCKY shot 311 to the apron by cutting a dogleg over a swamp , It was early September the fairway was like CONCRETE from a very dry summer and the ball must have gotten 40 yds of roll , bounce whatever . I looked for the ball at about 260 where i thought it dropped and was pissed when i couldn't find it so i decided to just walk up to the green and just see what is going on here ------------damn near died when i saw the ball on the apron .

. That's one freaking shot i'll never forget, better than my ACE cuz at least i SAW that from the tee box

Those kinda shots are fun---once during a pro-am I got 180 yds do to a 3 hitter on a cart path that ended up in a green side bunker on a par 5 in 2. Didn't do me any good, still made par ;-)

Warp Daddy

Just back from a pretty fair round ( for me) on my favorite par 60 -- was +5 today, for a 65 , no birds but 13 pars was pretty happy with striking today

Trekchick

Anyone hit 'em over the weekend?? Sunday I shot an 80 w/ 2 dbls---gawd I hate dbls!!! Strokes are too hard to make up to give that many away in 1 friggin hole. Hit it pretty darn good except for 2 bad t-balls that I was "stuck" on my right side resulting in ugliness. Have our "usual group" tomorrow so lookinf forward to that.

Wow, I've been busy for a few days and got behind on this thread.
Didn't visit my clubs over the weekend, too busy demoing mt bikes and hitting trails, but it looks like you guys have had a few great days.

Campgottagopee, sounds like you're refining your game, eh?

WD, nice round!

DrJeff, I would love to be in your shoes.....something about the smells of a golf course and the vibe of the pros in their element. Enjoy!

On another note, I've got tickets to the Buick Open coming up at the end of July(thru Aug 2nd).
If anyone is coming to Michigan for any reason I'd be happy to share a few tickets(I have a book of 10 and may only use 6)

drjeff

DrJeff, I would love to be in your shoes.....something about the smells of a golf course and the vibe of the pros in their element. Enjoy!

Just look for me on TV Friday + Saturday, I'm sure I'll be the only tall guy in a rain poncho carrying a beer ;) :rolleyes:

Forcast isn't looking particularly great for the next 4 days @ bethpage 70% chance of rain Thursday + Sunday and 25% chance of rain/showers Friday/Saturday :(

campgottagopee

Campgottagopee, sounds like you're refining your game, eh?

I wish that were true.....I'm slowly accepting the fact that my best golf is behind me now, simply do to the fact I don't play as much as I used to. I was the guy who hit balls every day before and after work an hour each session. Now I'm lucky if I get 20min a week in at the range so I just play, but playin is waaaaaaay better than practicing. :grin:

campgottagopee

Just look for me on TV Friday + Saturday, I'm sure I'll be the only tall guy in a rain poncho carrying a beer ;) :rolleyes:

Forcast isn't looking particularly great for the next 4 days @ bethpage 70% chance of rain Thursday + Sunday and 25% chance of rain/showers Friday/Saturday :(

Who you plan on following---I'll look for you.

drjeff

Who you plan on following---I'll look for you.

Still TBD who we'll follow. Allow by business partner's basketball court antics last night leading to a really swollen left knee this AM :eek: might end up in us atleast on Friday hanging around 1,2,3 and 16,17,18 in a grandstand with a beer tent not too far away ;)

Bethpage's layout with basically the front 9 heading out away from the clubhouse and then the back 9 playing back in, instead of the usual 1,9,10,18 all being somewhat in the proximity of the clubhouse combined with my partner's knee may prevent us from following around a couple of groups.

Dissapointed that Freddie Couples isn't in the field since if he was and if he had the same style "groupies" following him as he did at Winged Foot, we'd love to follow him around as not only does he have one sweet swing, but he had this group of 6 or 7 really attractive "cougar-esque" women following him all wearing shirts that said "Boom Boom" on them - so it was just about as much funny watching Freddie as it was watching the "Boom Boom Girls" :)

Usually I like to not really watch the big names who are playing well, but the guys who are struggling a bit and really having to grind it out. I just find it fascinating to watch the pros when their struggling a bit manage their way around the course

campgottagopee

Still TBD who we'll follow. Allow by business partner's basketball court antics last night leading to a really swollen left knee this AM :eek: might end up in us atleast on Friday hanging around 1,2,3 and 16,17,18 in a grandstand with a beer tent not too far away ;)

Bethpage's layout with basically the front 9 heading out away from the clubhouse and then the back 9 playing back in, instead of the usual 1,9,10,18 all being somewhat in the proximity of the clubhouse combined with my partner's knee may prevent us from following around a couple of groups.

Dissapointed that Freddie Couples isn't in the field since if he was and if he had the same style "groupies" following him as he did at Winged Foot, we'd love to follow him around as not only does he have one sweet swing, but he had this group of 6 or 7 really attractive "cougar-esque" women following him all wearing shirts that said "Boom Boom" on them - so it was just about as much funny watching Freddie as it was watching the "Boom Boom Girls" :)

Usually I like to not really watch the big names who are playing well, but the guys who are struggling a bit and really having to grind it out. I just find it fascinating to watch the pros when their struggling a bit manage their way around the course

Hopefully Rocco will be round for the weekend---that dude is fun to follow. I've had chance to meet him on 2 diff occasions (he's college team bud's with our club pro), just a super down to earth fun person to be around. I hope to get his book for Fathers Day.

Anyway, have fun---I know the beer will be cold :beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
First time playing since April today. Finally! Two re-injuries of the thumb later! Played at the White Mountain Hotel in North Conway under White Horse Ledges after a meeting we had there. With hotel stay, it was only $30 for 9 holes with a cart!!! One of the best deals I have ever paid considering how nice this course is. Well maintained, nice holes, challenging bunkers, and sensationally stunning views. I really enjoyed the course. Took me three holes to find my groove and then I started hitting some great iron shots.

But OMG SLOW PLAY!!!! 1:40 to play five holes with a cart!!! Gah! I can walk 9 holes faster than I did 5 with a cart! A scramble was playing in front of us and they were playing slower than I've seen some foursomes play all their own balls. It was the most painful golf experience I have ever had on the course. We quit after five holes as we had only planned to play a quick round and be done within an hour and a half. Course rules suggest that 2:15 is the max play time for the course. These guys were playing at a pace to do 2:30 for 9 holes in a scramble!!! YIKES!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Man the one thing i hate is SLOOOOOOOOW play ,
On the fifth hole par 3 (140 yards), one of the dudes in front of us hit a second pitch shot onto the green while I was waiting to tee off. It took everything I had not to try to hit my 8 iron right into their group after I saw that. They knew we were waiting and the guy hit a GREAT first shot just feet away from the hole.

Slow play is one thing and I can understand slow play when the course is packed and no one can do anything about it. But you don't take three practice swings, reconsider your aim, and then hit two balls. GAH!!!!