• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread 2009

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Forgot to add this before, there's a new indoor driving range in the building I work in, you should see the people coming now getting ready for the season!
That in the Lincoln/Woodstock area? What's the name? Normally, I practice at the Sugar Shack in Thornton, but I wouldn't be opposed to driving up to your neck of the woods for some first swings of the year until the snow finally melts around here! Still 1-2' in Ashland.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
That in the Lincoln/Woodstock area? What's the name? Normally, I practice at the Sugar Shack in Thornton, but I wouldn't be opposed to driving up to your neck of the woods for some first swings of the year until the snow finally melts around here! Still 1-2' in Ashland.

It is called 'Elite Golf' and is in the same building as Century 21 Mountainside Realty and across the street from Rite Aid. PM me when you would like to come up and I can probably get some passes as I know the owners.

gladerider

4 rounds of weekend golf coming up in 4 weeks. but, i have not put my snowboard away, YET.

ChileMass

70 footer on the 1st hole! Man I would have just walked right off the course and headed straight for the bar after that, since you know that there's just about no possible way for your round to go anywhere but down from there! :lol: ;)

Possibly the longest putt I have ever made in my life. And yes - I was ready to just say screw it and head to the bar........as you say, nowhere to go but down after that.....

FRITOLAYGUY

Possibly the longest putt I have ever made in my life. And yes - I was ready to just say screw it and head to the bar........as you say, nowhere to go but down after that.....

Was the putt actually on the green a 70foot putt is longer than alot of greens from one end to the other you will play, was the ball in the fringe just off the green or was it on the green the whole way? Just curious?

ChileMass

Was the putt actually on the green a 70foot putt is longer than alot of greens from one end to the other you will play, was the ball in the fringe just off the green or was it on the green the whole way? Just curious?

I hit my drive about 200 yards on the left and duffed my approach another 130 yards in the middle of the fairway (hole was about 390 yds). Tried to hit a soft 1/2 pitching wedge but knocked it way on the back of a long front/back green, and the putt was almost the whole length of the green. Based on those first 3 shots, I had no business knocking this thing in. The putt swung probably 4 feet from left to right up and then down a ridge to the hole. You know when you make one of those, it's just luck. You hit it towards the hole and it just goes in. Good planning, good direction, better luck.

Last edited:

danny p

I've golfed maybe 5 or 6 times in my life. I started two summers ago and bought a set of clubs last summer (that got used twice!). I need a one credit course for my degree so this summer I am taking a golf class! Pretty psyched because I definately need some instruction and it will get me on the course at least two nights a week! It will also be nice to have a semester where all I have to do is learn how to play golf. :p

Madroch

Local hill closed yesterday (which I missed). Besides a late season day or two in VT, I must sadly turn my focus to golf. Just pulled the bag out of the basement today while storing the wife and kids skis (not mine:spread:). While a lot around here have been playing for a few weeks, it seemed wrong with local bumps still to be had. Finished October with some mediocre rounds down in NC, so I need to rebound and regenerate some golf love. Driving range time.

So who saw Tiger Woods win at Bay Hill yesterday? The guy is a freak. I'll say it - he is the best athlete of his generation. Just another amazing Sunday comeback with a do-or-die birdie on the last hole.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4026124

Wow Tigers numerous made putts down the stretch were great!!!!! When Tiger took his hiatus, I hardly watched PGA golf but now it's exciting again..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
So who saw Tiger Woods win at Bay Hill yesterday? The guy is a freak. I'll say it - he is the best athlete of his generation. Just another amazing Sunday comeback with a do-or-die birdie on the last hole.

Never thought I would pay attention to pro golf. Even when I started playing the game myself. Tiger makes a boring game to follow rather exciting. Tiger may be the only pro athlete in USA pro sports that is truly a living legend.

I listened to the radio cast via pgatour.com for the final half dozen holes. Someone said that it was interesting watching that final round as the pressure should have been on Tiger being 5 strokes back. But the pressure was never on Tiger... even when he left the door open late in the round.

Best athlete of his generation? I think that is stretching it a bit as golf is a rather limited example of athletic prowess. But Tiger Woods is without a doubt the best competitor of his generation. Perhaps the best competitor in pro sports today.

Based on the comments of Tiger and commentators in the media, it seems like Tiger may be entering his strongest and best form of his career. Who can even imagine what the guy can accomplish if his swing is even better than it was before?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Looking at how to approach playing this season. I really enjoyed last season being able to spread things around with twilight rates. I played six different courses last season, all within a 20 minute drive. Two within a two minute drive of my house. And I still have another half dozen courses I can play that I didn't hit last year within a half hour. So I figured I would keep spreading play around via twilight rates this season.

Ragged Mountain has a deal tempting me towards a one course approach. $450 season pass with a cart. Even cheaper without a cart and only $200 mid-week no cart. At just over a half hour drive, it is about 10 minutes further away than my existing favorite course but that would make for a cheap season even accounting for the extra gas. Any other membership in the area I would barely break even on and would completely restrict me to one course only whereas I wouldn't feel bad picking up some twilight rates at other places with a cheap season rate.

The catch of course. Construction is on going so who knows how that will play and Ragged is rumored to be a rather difficult course. Worst case, I just play from the ladies tees. I have no shame :lol: My plan is to play a round there when they first open and make the decision before the rates go up based on how I like the course.

I can't believe membership rates at most courses. Completely asinine. Especially considering how low twilight rates are. I hate playing on courses that are busy any ways so mid-week evening is where it is at. Would be nice to be able to play late night on a weekend when no twilight rates are available though, another perk.

You guys do memberships or spread things around paying per round?

drjeff

Never thought I would pay attention to pro golf. Even when I started playing the game myself. Tiger makes a boring game to follow rather exciting. Tiger may be the only pro athlete in USA pro sports that is truly a living legend.

I listened to the radio cast via pgatour.com for the final half dozen holes. Someone said that it was interesting watching that final round as the pressure should have been on Tiger being 5 strokes back. But the pressure was never on Tiger... even when he left the door open late in the round.

Best athlete of his generation? I think that is stretching it a bit as golf is a rather limited example of athletic prowess. But Tiger Woods is without a doubt the best competitor of his generation. Perhaps the best competitor in pro sports today.

Based on the comments of Tiger and commentators in the media, it seems like Tiger may be entering his strongest and best form of his career. Who can even imagine what the guy can accomplish if his swing is even better than it was before?

Riv, the really cool thing about Tiger, especially as YOU develop more of a feel for it, is how REGULARLY he does something AMAZING! Not just ESPN highIight amazing, but the stuff that only someone who plays the game can realize how GOOD a shot it was. I seriously can't remember how many times when watching him I said to myself "that's the most incredible shot I've ever seen!" and then a couple of months later I'm uttering the same words again!

Plus, when the pressure's on, he just doesn't miss a putt, and it seems like in those "must make" times, his "doesn't miss" range extends out to 20-25feet!

Can't wait to see him in-person defend his US Open title this June :)

drjeff

Looking at how to approach playing this season. I really enjoyed last season being able to spread things around with twilight rates. I played six different courses last season, all within a 20 minute drive. Two within a two minute drive of my house. And I still have another half dozen courses I can play that I didn't hit last year within a half hour. So I figured I would keep spreading play around via twilight rates this season.

Ragged Mountain has a deal tempting me towards a one course approach. $450 season pass with a cart. Even cheaper without a cart and only $200 mid-week no cart. At just over a half hour drive, it is about 10 minutes further away than my existing favorite course but that would make for a cheap season even accounting for the extra gas. Any other membership in the area I would barely break even on and would completely restrict me to one course only whereas I wouldn't feel bad picking up some twilight rates at other places with a cheap season rate.

The catch of course. Construction is on going so who knows how that will play and Ragged is rumored to be a rather difficult course. Worst case, I just play from the ladies tees. I have no shame :lol: My plan is to play a round there when they first open and make the decision before the rates go up based on how I like the course.

I can't believe membership rates at most courses. Completely asinine. Especially considering how low twilight rates are. I hate playing on courses that are busy any ways so mid-week evening is where it is at. Would be nice to be able to play late night on a weekend when no twilight rates are available though, another perk.

You guys do memberships or spread things around paying per round?

Ragged's Golf Course - If you get the membership there, you'll get both better and most likely frustrated by the end of the season. Played there twice - first time, I seriously had no clue where I was going/where the MULTITUDE of hazards were on many of the holes, and as a result, I lost a bunch of balls and left a bit frustrated :( Second time around(about 2 months after my 1st round there), much more enjoyable since I knew roughly where I was going and where atleast some of the hazards were.

Definately a course where you need to hit shots rather than just bomb away on many holes, or as I like to look at it, a course where you need to think strategy almost as much as you need to think technique. By the end of the season, you're game will have improved dramatically.

Me personally, I play the majority of my rounds at the course that I belong to which is maybe 5 minutes from my office and 20 minutes from my house. I'll probably play 80% of my total seasonal rounds there. The other 20% tends to be filled with rounds at courses where I'm playing in a charity tournament or where I'm vacationing, or occassionally near the site of a BORING continuing education lecture :rolleyes:

FRITOLAYGUY

I had tickets but it rained in the morning so i decided not too go, bad decision obviously i was there for last years, kinda pissed i missed this years and had to watch on tv like everyone else. The guy is just amazing, the best par putter by far and just gets it done when it has to be done.

ChileMass

OK - I think Steven might be right. Tiger's probably not the greatest athlete but he's definitely, without question, the best competitor and winner of his generation. He reminds me of Bill Russell and Michael Jordan. All of them live for it when the pressure is hottest and the money is on the line.

I'm told there are a lot of deals out there for memberships because of the bad economy. I've never joined a particular club, but tend to play my locals the most - no surprise. I live about 2 miles from the two courses at Juniper Hill in central MA, so I play there most often. But I get bored and like to go to different courses - a lot like skiing different hills. I will travel to play a course I haven't played before, and I try to get away for weekends when possible. If you have friends there or need a reason to go, upstate NY is great for golf - it's not crowded, there's lots of courses, they're scenic and they're cheap. I can recommend a few if you are interested.

BTW - I will be stuck out here in the Bay Area for the weekend, so I will be playing somewhere in the Walnut Creek/Pleasanton area on Saturday. It's 70*F outside and not a cloud in the sky. I'll send a report....

ChileMass

I had tickets but it rained in the morning so i decided not too go, bad decision obviously i was there for last years, kinda pissed i missed this years and had to watch on tv like everyone else. The guy is just amazing, the best par putter by far and just gets it done when it has to be done.

THAT is a bummer. At least you saw him last year which was actually even more dramatic. He's the best.....

I'm playing golf with my Dad at Southmore Sunday..the course drains well so it should be fairly dry by then. I might have to hit a couple buckets tomorrow..to get warmed up..

Unfortunately I didn't have any days this year where I golfed and skied in the same day..

Then back to skiing next weekend at Stowe..

FRITOLAYGUY

THAT is a bummer. At least you saw him last year which was actually even more dramatic. He's the best.....

I dont know if u ever followed him in person i have twice hes very robotic i guess is the word, u only see the shots and 20 seconds before a shot on tv, the whole time hes always lookin up at trees, figuring out the wind, never looks at the crowd, hes very weird to watch, mickelson on the other hand was eating some sorta peanuts and jokes around with the crowd while he waits to hit, very easy to see why people like him and root for him he reminds you of yourself kinda like john daly