• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread 2009

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm teeing off in an hour and a half..maybe I'll post a TR later..and maybe I can break 100 or even 90..
Major jealous here. Then again, I am also jealous of those that don't have to work today and are enjoying half a foot of fresh in northern Vermont. Courses have yet to open as the great snow melt is just getting finished and there are still patches of snow hanging out. The grass is mostly yellow and the courses probably are just getting their superintendents out on the grass. Will be a while longer for us northern New Englanders.

I played my first golf of the year earlier today at Southmore with my Dad. It was sunny and in the mid 40s when we arrived at around 840AM. For those of you unfamiliar with Southmore, it's located above the quaint Hamlet of Bath. We weren't paired up with anybody and on the first hole..I hit a nice 220 yard drive then my approach shot went right..then a flubbed a wedge..then hit a decent wedge and sunk a 10 footer for a bogey. OK golfs pretty easy..the first several hole I played pretty much bogey golf until an 8 on the first pay 5...mad Homer Simpson..doh..the rest of the front was mainly bogeys and a double and I ended up with a 49. I had one par on the back nine but a bunch of 6 and 7's and I ended up with a lacklust 53....for an opening round of 102. I didn't take any breakfast balls but I did take a brunch ball or two. I ended up with two more balls than I began the day with..sa-weetness..all in all a fun opening round of golf.

FRITOLAYGUY

I played my first golf of the year earlier today at Southmore with my Dad. It was sunny and in the mid 40s when we arrived at around 840AM. For those of you unfamiliar with Southmore, it's located above the quaint Hamlet of Bath. We weren't paired up with anybody and on the first hole..I hit a nice 220 yard drive then my approach shot went right..then a flubbed a wedge..then hit a decent wedge and sunk a 10 footer for a bogey. OK golfs pretty easy..the first several hole I played pretty much bogey golf until an 8 on the first pay 5...mad Homer Simpson..doh..the rest of the front was mainly bogeys and a double and I ended up with a 49. I had one par on the back nine but a bunch of 6 and 7's and I ended up with a lacklust 53....for an opening round of 102. I didn't take any breakfast balls but I did take a brunch ball or two. I ended up with two more balls than I began the day with..sa-weetness..all in all a fun opening round of golf.

102 isnt bad for not playing all winter. practice the short game steez that will cut 5 strokes quick from not playing all winter its the thing that goes first

drjeff

I was contemplating kicking off my '09 golf season this morning. Glad I went for a run instead as I would have likely been on the 4th or 5th hole when the deluge showed up this AM! Oh well, atleast the clubs have made the transition for the basement into the back of the car :)

I'll probably really get the urge to swing the sticks after watching a bit of The Masters this week. Something about Augusta National with the Dogwoods in bloom that really makes me want to play golf :)

FRITOLAYGUY

I was contemplating kicking off my '09 golf season this morning. Glad I went for a run instead as I would have likely been on the 4th or 5th hole when the deluge showed up this AM! Oh well, atleast the clubs have made the transition for the basement into the back of the car :)

I'll probably really get the urge to swing the sticks after watching a bit of The Masters this week. Something about Augusta National with the Dogwoods in bloom that really makes me want to play golf :)

I think what u meant to say is it makes u think you can play golf, not want to play golf lol

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
drjeff called it last year. Was just looking into clubmaking 101 (http://www.golfsmith.com/display_page.php?page_num=cm_videos_clubmaking). Wow, that looks a lot easier than I would have thought! At the last, with some basic equipment, I could easily regrip all my clubs (most of which are standard sized and I need mid-sized at least). I have already gotten into a component purchase mind set. Wouldn't take much more of a leap to build my own! At the least, the regrip looks like a piece of cake and hard to screw up.

drjeff

drjeff called it last year. Was just looking into clubmaking 101 (http://www.golfsmith.com/display_page.php?page_num=cm_videos_clubmaking). Wow, that looks a lot easier than I would have thought! At the last, with some basic equipment, I could easily regrip all my clubs (most of which are standard sized and I need mid-sized at least). I have already gotten into a component purchase mind set. Wouldn't take much more of a leap to build my own! At the least, the regrip looks like a piece of cake and hard to screw up.

Regripping a metal shafted club is total, no brainer easy! Pretty much as long as you don't your fingers off with the box cutter during grip removal and/or impale yourself on the shaft while sliding on the new grip, no problems at all.

Graphite shafted clubs, just need to be a little bit carefull during grip removal that you're not cutting the graphite fibers of the shaft.

IMHO, after literally installing over 1000 new grips over the years(working in a pro-shop for a few summers back while I was in high school/college helped pad those stats ;) ), the only tough club to regrip is a putter. Gotta make sure that the blade of the putter is absolutely square when you're installing the grip or else you're very likely to suddenly start ever so slightly pulling or pushing your putts and not knowing why ;)

As for actual club assembly, if you know how to use a ruler, some type of cutting device, some sand paper and can mix some 2 component epoxy in a 50/50 ratio, you can pretty much put together a club. Just becareful Riv, once you build your 1st one, you're more than likely to find that the UPS delivery guy will be bringing about a 4 foot long box to your house a few times a golf season ;) :rolleyes: ;)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
First day of the season! Left work early for first day of operation at White Mountain Country Club, right next to home. $20 for 9 quickly turned into $20 for 18 as the guy at the club house said go for the back nine as he was closing up shop. Took a half bucket to warm up and it was ugly :lol: After months of reading books and watching videos and thinking I had some swing fixes, I played some of my worst golf ever on the front 9 :D

By the second third of the back nine, I was starting to play some quality golf as I figured out I was reverse pivoting instead of sliding my weight through to my front leg. After I figured that out, shots dramatically improved gradually leading up to a killer 18th hole. Wow. 210 yard drive off the tee with my 3H :lol: :lol: :lol: STRAIGHT!!! That is normally my 180 yard push club. Then I launched a 6I straight onto the fringe of the green. Just a perfect shot over a 100 yard water hazard. Three putted for a boogie but who cares! Those were the two best shots of my short time playing golf.

I was launching my weight forward so much, I was lifting my back leg off the ground on the follow through and stepping through the swing. It was not a pretty follow through but it took care of the reverse pivot and had me swinging way longer than average and straight as a nail. Looking forward to actually keeping score next round!

FRITOLAYGUY

I was launching my weight forward so much, I was lifting my back leg off the ground on the follow through and stepping through the swing. It was not a pretty follow through but it took care of the reverse pivot and had me swinging way longer than average and straight as a nail. Looking forward to actually keeping score next round!

Riv if you cant keep both feet on the ground and not have to move for a few seconds after swinging your swinging way to hard or have horrible balance, if you have to step out of a swing or back or forward or whatever your goin too fast, trust me i preach it and still do it alot myself, slowwwwdown and stop swinging outta your shoes.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Riv if you cant keep both feet on the ground and not have to move for a few seconds after swinging your swinging way to hard or have horrible balance, if you have to step out of a swing or back or forward or whatever your goin too fast, trust me i preach it and still do it alot myself, slowwwwdown and stop swinging outta your shoes.
Note that this is not normally how I swing. I was over compensating my weight transfer to fix a problem. I may always swing too hard and it was only showing when I over compensated... but I have never ever had that problem before and if anything, I think my swing speed may be way too slow most of the time. It was not a swing speed issue that cause me to step forward but rather I was really trying to emphasize forward movement through the ball onto my forward foot. Perhaps a little too harshly, but it worked for fixing a problem.

drjeff

The Tiger/Phil show was VERY entertaining to watch today (atleast for the 1st 16 holes for good play). Feel bad for Kenny Perry though

Warp Daddy

Definitely feel bad for Kenny Perry - but Cabrera is a battler too and had the right stuff when it counted

It did my heart good to see that even Tiger can hit a damn tree when trying a hero shot ! :D

Definitely feel bad for Kenny Perry - but Cabrera is a battler too and had the right stuff when it counted

It did my heart good to see that even Tiger can hit a damn tree when trying a hero shot ! :D

I was driving home from Vermont during the Masters coverage and I got home at 745PM when it was all over..it sounds like I missed a good show..

Warp Daddy

I was driving home from Vermont during the Masters coverage and I got home at 745PM when it was all over..it sounds like I missed a good show..

Yeah it was something 3 way tie sudden death lots of comebacks by several BUT HEY YOU had a GONZO trip man !!

Wish i was out there too dammit , sounds like the skiing was pretty darn good

drjeff

Yeah it was something 3 way tie sudden death lots of comebacks by several BUT HEY YOU had a GONZO trip man !!

Wish i was out there too dammit , sounds like the skiing was pretty darn good

For the 1st 3 or so hours of the telecast Sunday, you would have thought based on CBS's coverage that it was only Tiger, Phil and Kenny Perry on the course. Granted between Tiger and Phil, there first 15 or 16 holes was about as good as those 2 have ever played head to head.

Can't wait now until the U.S. Open when I'll be at Bethpage watching :)