• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread 2009

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Support your local ski hill.................during the summer!

For the golfers in NH, Ragged Mountain has got some really reasonable rates. Their twighlight starts earlier than any other course I've seen (3pm), and the cart is included with their green fees.

The course opens on May 15, and wouldn't you know it, I'm going to be visiting family in NH that weekend.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
St. Bear... welcome to NH twilight rates! 3 P.M. is standard at every course within 30 miles of where I live. I am considering Ragged for their cheap season pass ($350 w/cart for the season!). But I am going to play there on there opening weekend before making that decision. With all you can play twilight rates at $15-20 at many local courses... I am not completely sold on driving 35 minutes each way even for that cheap of a rate. Depends how I like the course which has been described as very challenging here and else where.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Opening weekend for pretty much every course around where I live except Ragged. Went down to Den Brae for all you can play twilight rate. Normally $15 but today's opening weekend special was $12. That's right, less than a buck a hole! I played one and 2/3s rounds before it got dark. No scores were kept.

I had some parts of my game really sucking (short game what happened to you!?!) but some other parts were starting to click. I made a green in 3 on the long par 5 due to finally figuring out how to nut my 3 wood. Figured out how to mechanically not come over the top and significantly reduced the slice. Also hit it more like an iron whereas before I had been swinging it like a driver. Same with the irons... less over the top action and I actually hit a draw... WOW!!!! I hit a draw off a 7 iron and muttered "Oh S&*t!" I never hit draws!

So my overall playing sucked with lots of inconsistency on all my shots and terrible short game in all its forms. But I had a really good time and made some swing corrections for problems that have plagued me this past year.

Skiing on Sunday, sweet.

drjeff

I actually hit a draw... WOW!!!! I hit a draw off a 7 iron and muttered "Oh S&*t!" I never hit draws!

LOL! This is so me! I've faded the ball for all 30 years that I've played the game, and if I really, really, really try and think about it and the ball is about 2 feet above my feet, I just might be able to realize that I'm going to draw the ball. But a few times a year, randomly out of the blue, I'll come over the top on a level lie and hit a nice little draw. Unfortunately since I normally set up aiming down the left side, this draw will usually result in me ending up with a lost ball/penalty shot, but atleast I'm smiling about hitting the draw! :rolleyes:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Unfortunately since I normally set up aiming down the left side, this draw will usually result in me ending up with a lost ball/penalty shot, but atleast I'm smiling about hitting the draw! :rolleyes:
The ball I hit could have gone left at a 45* angle straight into the woods and I still would have felt like doing a cart wheel! LOL

drjeff

Round 1 in the books this season. Considering the last time I made a full swing was over 6 months ago, the rust that was on my game for the most part wasn't too bad. Slapped the ball 86 times in just under 3 holes getting around the course. Long game was pretty good. Putting was decent. Short irons and especially the pitches SUCKED as my left wrist just refused to release and I blocked/practically 1/2 shanked :eek: :eek: :eek: a number of short shots in the scoring zone.

At least I ran off 5 straight pars to finish the round, and I think that it's no coincidence that my run of pars and better swing started at the same time that I cracked open the 1st beer of the round! :) In retrospect, I should have started the beers with lunch BEFORE I teed off! :lol:

Warp Daddy

Just got in from walking 18 holes today . HOT HOT HOT 86 degrees .

I'm tired ( be 66 in 3 weeks ) but played pretty well . The round started with a rocky first nine with a 46 , then played back nine @ 41 for a 87 . Luved hitting my new #1 , #3 and #4 hybrids really nice control and loft with soft landing .

#1 hybrid @15 degrees let me "shit can" my 3 wood and other 2 hybrids replace 3,4 and 5 irons

ChileMass

Played 18 Saturday at Juniper Hill (Lakeside). Shot 45-53 which is typical for me in the early season. Got off the tee pretty well for a while and putted OK for the most part, but the irons always take a while to get consistent and the driver quit on me about halfway thru the back nine. My goal is always to play around 90, but a nice day with 2 buddies anyway.

Off to Myrtle Beach for vacation on Wed, playing Thurs, Fri and Saturday. Then down to Orlando on Sunday for a corporate event on Mon - Wed. Nicely enough, it also includes a round on Monday. Gonna be a tough week.....

Cheers - :beer:

ChileMass

At least I ran off 5 straight pars to finish the round, and I think that it's no coincidence that my run of pars and better swing started at the same time that I cracked open the 1st beer of the round! :) In retrospect, I should have started the beers with lunch BEFORE I teed off! :lol:

A little "swing oil" often helps......

HD333

Need a Game

Heading out with my neighbor, to his club tomorrow and his friend who says he is a 35 on the course we are playing.

Need a game to keep things fun. We are all at different levels, neighbor is good a 15, I am about a 20, 3rd guy is off the charts as I said a 35.

Other than giving strokes to potentially me and the guy with no arms anyone have any ideas of a fun game condisdering we really are not matched up evenly?

And if it came down to it how many strokes would you give a guy who says he is a 35 if you are a 20? 4 a side tops?

Just looking to have fun and keep things intersting.

Thanks
HD

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Bought my season pass for the local driving range just over a week ago ($240 for the season unlimited anytime on the honor system (like 5am-9pm anytime) and the place has a practice green and bunker. Everything was going really well until I hurt my thumb again. Going to be another four weeks before I get out there again. Two scrambles confirmed in June, can't wait for those!

Warp Daddy

Bought my season pass for the local driving range just over a week ago ($240 for the season unlimited anytime on the honor system (like 5am-9pm anytime) and the place has a practice green and bunker. Everything was going really well until I hurt my thumb again. Going to be another four weeks before I get out there again. Two scrambles confirmed in June, can't wait for those!

Heal Well Riv !

Can you hold a club to practice pitches /chips / flops/putts etc or is it too tender for that yet ?

Left thumb ??

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Too tender. Right thumb. Definitely no swinging at all. And while my putting can use some work, it has always been the strongest part of my game and least concern as far as getting better. So I ain't driving to the range just to practice putting (much as I probably should but I do practice putting when I do go).

drjeff

Round 2 of the year in the books. Beat the rain and got a nice walking 18 in in 2:40 this afternoon :)

Took about 7 holes for what i would say the final bits of the winter rust to get off the full swing and I was finally able to really start putting MULTIPLE solid shots together like I wanted to.

Went out in a still rusty 44 and came back in with a very smooth 37 for an 81. Biggest problem for me today was when I was when i'd miss hitting a green I was consistantly short siding myself in some UGLY places :eek: Oh well, something to work on next round

Warp Daddy

Round 2 of the year in the books. Beat the rain and got a nice walking 18 in in 2:40 this afternoon :)

Took about 7 holes for what i would say the final bits of the winter rust to get off the full swing and I was finally able to really start putting MULTIPLE solid shots together like I wanted to.

Went out in a still rusty 44 and came back in with a very smooth 37 for an 81. Biggest problem for me today was when I was when i'd miss hitting a green I was consistantly short siding myself in some UGLY places :eek: Oh well, something to work on next round

Nice round Doc for early season . That's the THING about this game-- THERE is ALWAYS some phase of the game that will frustrate you and cause you to work on it --

But as one my my golf buddies says -- you always hit just enough good shots to keep you coming back for more --- guess its designed to appeal to our inner masochism :D :D :D

drjeff

Found this today, 10 great courses in new england u can play for under 80 bucks the only one ive been to was wintonberry hills in bloomfield ct ,which was great.. http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/galleries/take10/golf_courses/

I've played 3 of their 10 - Wintonbury Hills - Pete Dye being Pete Dye - enough said
The Ledges in York, Me - Tough hillside course
Crumpin' Fox - Bernardston, Ma - GREAT course - the "home" course of architect Roger Rulewich who used to basically be the right hand man for Robert Trent Jones before going out on his own, plus the owner of the course, Mr. Sandri basically lets Rulewich do what he wants to the coures architectually - IMHO a DEFINATELY must play for any golf afficianado!

ChileMass

Heading out with my neighbor, to his club tomorrow and his friend who says he is a 35 on the course we are playing.

Need a game to keep things fun. We are all at different levels, neighbor is good a 15, I am about a 20, 3rd guy is off the charts as I said a 35.

Other than giving strokes to potentially me and the guy with no arms anyone have any ideas of a fun game condisdering we really are not matched up evenly?

And if it came down to it how many strokes would you give a guy who says he is a 35 if you are a 20? 4 a side tops?

Just looking to have fun and keep things intersting.

Thanks
HD

The Wolf: On the first tee, each guy in the foursome takes a number from 1 to 4. The guy who takes number 4 is The Wolf on the first hole. On each successive hole, the number revolves (the number 1 guy becomes number 2, the number 2 guy becomes number 3, etc).

On the first hole, the number 1 thru 3 guys tee off. As each guy tees off, The Wolf can select a playing partner for the hole based on a good tee shot. So, if the number one guy duffs his tee shot, The Wolf can pass on him and wait to see how the number 2 or number 3 guys do with their drives.

If one of these guys hits a good tee shot The Wolf teams up with that player and they play against the other 2 in the foursome for total score for the hole. Typically, the bet is a buck a hole per player, and the lowest team score wins in match play rules. If the hole is tied, the bet carries over to the next hole until there is a winner.

However - if no one hits a good tee shot, The Wolf can opt to go "Lone Wolf". In Lone Wolf, it's every man for himself, and if The Wolf manages to win the hole (low net score), the bet is doubled to $2 per player.

It's a great game that I've played a zillion times.....

Last edited:

ChileMass

Just back from South Carolina and Florida. Played 5 times in 8 days.

Long Bay - (North Myrtle Beach) - gorgeous course right next to the burned-up areas of NMB. Hit miserably for my 1st round in a month (103). A pretty and difficult course. Surprisingly green considering how little rain they've had.

Myrtle Beach National (West) - played much better, shot 89. Relatively easy course with little water, some sand.

Heather Glen - Little River, SC - incredibly difficult course played when I was incredibly hung over. Shot at least 105 and lost at least a dozen balls.

Hawk Landing (Disney - Orlando): Played twice and shot 90 and 95. Nice course on the Marriott property. Lots of water and man, was it HOT. Blew up on the front nine on my second round, but recovered and shot 42 on the last nine, so finished well.

Hit my driver well, putting was mostly good, it's my irons that disappear if I don't play regularly.