• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread 2009

Beer + Golf = swing lube!

In all the golf I've played, I have maybe had 4 beers while playing golf..I don't think to bring my own beer..and I usually want water or gatorade when the beverage cart comes around..have you or others had issues with bringing your own coolers??? Alot of courses prohibit that..

drjeff

In all the golf I've played, I have maybe had 4 beers while playing golf..I don't think to bring my own beer..and I usually want water or gatorade when the beverage cart comes around..have you or others had issues with bringing your own coolers??? Alot of courses prohibit that..

The course I belong to falls into the private course/private land/no problems bringing your own with you - that's where I play probably 80% of my rounds. If I'm playing in a tournament(98% of the time a charity scramble), then there's usually a few kegs on the course for swing lube purposes. Other courses in my area have very frequent beverage cart service most of the year, so if one so chooses, since they can;t bring their own on those courses, there's plenty of choices. For me atleast, if it's an afternoon round of golf, a beer or 2 on the course usually happens. A morning, non charity scramble round, then it's a diet soda or water for me on the course.

Probably the neatest course I've played from a beverage cart standpoint was down in Cancun, where the beverage cart was just like the resort itself, all inclusive! :) Plus the cart had a blender on it for various frozen drink requests - that was pretty cool! :) Other than that, I've been to a few courses in Vegas where the cart girls definately made it tough to concentrate on my game ;)

Swing lube..and I swear those golf course college aged beverage cart girls are making mad loot. At a course I played in Colorado with my Dad, they had cans of Guinness available for $6.50 and I think I tipped her more than 15%..more like 50%..lol..but there's a picture of me drinking the Guinness in the golf cart so it's all good.

campgottagopee

That's why I almost always make sure that I have someone in my 4some that takes a beer wagon to carry them around the 18! ;) :beer:

I'm your guy Dr J

I've never been a fan of drinking while playing golf...safety meetings are another story entirely..:beer:

What a Sally :lol:

I know many guys don't drink while they're playin but I REALLY enjoy a few cold ones while playing my round of golf. Tourney no tourney I'm loaded with my 6er of Blue Light and ready for action. Bunch of damn drunks invented the game anyway so why fight it!!!

drjeff

Darned cold for mid May on the course today! Was 46 when I got out of the car at the course this AM around 8:40 and had made it to a "balmy" 50 at 1:20 27 holes later - would have frozen my shorts wearing a$$ off if I hadn't been walking + carrying the bag. I went 41(+5)(a couple of doubles courtesy of 2 bad swings :( ) then a smooth 37(+1) (thank you birdies on both the par 5's) and closed it out with a 40 (+4) where the sizeable hill you need to climb twice in the last 3 holes at my course had my legs feeling the 27 hole hike.

All in all, pretty good distance control with the irons, still a few tempo issues with the longer clubs where one hole I'll hang one out to the right a bit and then overcompensate right over the top the next.

Next up, Friday and the first charity scramble of the year for me - gonna be making some BIG swings with the driver then! :)

Warp Daddy

Darned cold for mid May on the course today! Was 46 when I got out of the car at the course this AM around 8:40 and had made it to a "balmy" 50 at 1:20 27 holes later - would have frozen my shorts wearing a$$ off if I hadn't been walking + carrying the bag. I went 41(+5)(a couple of doubles courtesy of 2 bad swings :( ) then a smooth 37(+1) (thank you birdies on both the par 5's) and closed it out with a 40 (+4) where the sizeable hill you need to climb twice in the last 3 holes at my course had my legs feeling the 27 hole hike.

All in all, pretty good distance control with the irons, still a few tempo issues with the longer clubs where one hole I'll hang one out to the right a bit and then overcompensate right over the top the next.

Next up, Friday and the first charity scramble of the year for me - gonna be making some BIG swings with the driver then! :)

Doc u amaze me, that's some damn fine scoring in the COLD ,

The ball just doesn't carry that well when its cold . Man i would have needed more than a few "TODDIES " and ICY HOT massages to survive low 40's/ stiiff breeze -- in shorts !! LONG iron play in this weather is challenging - all in all a STRONG OUTING !!!

campgottagopee

First tourney of the year in the books, well at the end of the book. UGGGGGGGLY showing by my partner and I !!!!! It was the annual Ryder Cup and it's the real deal, 6 holes capt-n-mate (we played at +1, yikes), 6 holes best ball (got it to -1, looking good), 6 holes of EFF your partner or alternat shot where we ended up at 76 and one shot out of the $$$$.

That's history, this weekend is the Fox Fire 2 ball, 36 holes this saturday. YAHOO

HD333

Need some ideas for a tourny

I am a newbie on my daughters school's Charity Golf Tournament Commitee. Tourney isn't until fall but meetings start next week.

I am looking for a sure fire way to bring in some cashish. Other than selling mulligans and strings anyone have any other money makers?

I am thinking a $5.00 50/50 raffle on the easiest par 3, hit the green get a ticket, obviously we will need to have the hottest wives working this hole.

Thanks in advance.

HD

I am a newbie on my daughters school's Charity Golf Tournament Commitee. Tourney isn't until fall but meetings start next week.

I am looking for a sure fire way to bring in some cashish. Other than selling mulligans and strings anyone have any other money makers?

I am thinking a $5.00 50/50 raffle on the easiest par 3, hit the green get a ticket, obviously we will need to have the hottest wives working this hole.

Thanks in advance.

HD

Putting contest...straightest drive...closest to the pin..raffle off donated items..maybe you can get a local car dealership to give away a car if somebody hits a hole in one on a particular hole..but to qualify they must buy a ticket for perhaps $10..definitely sell golf shirts..balls and any other swag with the school logo..sounds like it's probably a private school which means alot of ballers!!!! Good luck

drjeff

Thanks in advance.

HD

Get strippers from the local strip joint to man the ball washers at each tee box ;) :rolleyes:

Seriously though, things I've seen at tourney's that seem to be $$ makers and aren't the usual stuff

1) "Drop a hole" it was $20 and then you'd pick a numbered golf ball out of a big tub you couldn't see into, whatever number you pulled, you got to drop the score on that hole from your total net score (and it counted towards 1st place $$)

2) the "common ball" - basically every team could buy what's usually a colored ball for $10 and then you'd alternate which person would play that ball per hole(i.e. player 1 would use the ball everytime he/she took a stroke on a hole, then pass the ball onto player 2 who played the next hole with it, etc) - if the team hadn't lost the ball at the end of the 18, the ball went into a jug and then one was picked and the winning team got 50% of the pot of $$

3) "Beer ransom" - basically the beer on the course was free, BUT you had to buy a mug for $5 that only the beer could be dispensed into - this one pissed me off the most ;) :rolleyes:

campgottagopee

I'm really into work today----just got done marking up a new sleeve of balls for saturday's tourney. One blue dot right under the "E" in TaylorMade.

drjeff

I'm really into work today----just got done marking up a new sleeve of balls for saturday's tourney. One blue dot right under the "E" in TaylorMade.

Yup, going to draw a big 'ol bullseye on some Bridgestone B330's so I'll know right where to smack it as hard as I can with the driver in the scramble I'm playing in tommorrow :)

Then as is often the case after I play in a scramble it will take me a couple of rounds to get the proper swing tempo back instead of the "just kill it mode" :rolleyes:

campgottagopee

Yup, going to draw a big 'ol bullseye on some Bridgestone B330's so I'll know right where to smack it as hard as I can with the driver in the scramble I'm playing in tommorrow :)

Then as is often the case after I play in a scramble it will take me a couple of rounds to get the proper swing tempo back instead of the "just kill it mode" :rolleyes:

So true Dr J----I try real hard not to play in those until the fall---really screws me up then I start thinking I can hit it that far anytime I want. :-?

campgottagopee

I've read good things about the B330's---obviously you like them too. At some point I need to try them, but for now I really like the TaylorMade TP red. I think they go as far and spin as much as a ProV1 but the cover seems to hold up better and at $50 / dozen that means something.

drjeff

I've read good things about the B330's---obviously you like them too. At some point I need to try them, but for now I really like the TaylorMade TP red. I think they go as far and spin as much as a ProV1 but the cover seems to hold up better and at $50 / dozen that means something.

My "regular" ball is the ProV1x - trajectory/distance/spin just works with my normal game, and hence why try many a new "latest and greatest" ball from other companies I just keep coming back to the V1x.

However, when playing in a scramble and I end up screwing up my tempo with some serious swipes with the big stick, the B330 for my generally high ball flight gets me a extra 5 to 10 over the V1x with the all out swing. Doesn't spin like the V1x though, so for tommorrow atleast since there's no 1 ball rule in play, it's the B330 for the driver + launching fairway woods on 2nd shots for the par 5's and the V1x for the distance control shots.

I've also toyed around with the B330s also. Also a mighty fine ball IMHO, spins + feels for me just like the V1x, just has a higher ball flight for me compared to the V1x and for me atleast I'm trying to keep the ball flight down 99% of the time.

Good product Bridgestone makes IMHO

Warp Daddy

Just finished up a nice round today 9 pars 1 bird 39/41 /80------------- dammit just missed it again, Been trying to break 80 for couple years . All i needed was a par on last hole , hit great drive ,but blew my 5 hybrid off to the right rough , got on with next shot but then 2 putted for a damn bogey

But i'm still feeling good about today's round after playing in 30mph sustained winds Wed which was a pretty nasty day here and my play was so/so like a split personality

I felt my ball striking was solid had a pretty fair back nine at 43. BUT first nine that day was a crappy 47 which ticked me off because the big stick was working fine hitting 13 /18 fairways . But my second shots were sketchy for first couple of holes -- but hey thats golf

Tomorrows another day

drjeff

Just finished up a nice round today 9 pars 1 bird 39/41 /80------------- dammit just missed it again, Been trying to break 80 for couple years . All i needed was a par on last hole , hit great drive ,but blew my 5 hybrid off to the right rough , got on with next shot but then 2 putted for a damn bogey

But i'm still feeling good about today's round after playing in 30mph sustained winds Wed which was a pretty nasty day here and my play was so/so like a split personality

I felt my ball striking was solid had a pretty fair back nine at 43. BUT first nine that day was a crappy 47 which ticked me off because the big stick was working fine hitting 13 /18 fairways . But my second shots were sketchy for first couple of holes -- but hey thats golf

Tomorrows another day

Nice 80 Warp. That 1st num as a 7 will come soon I'm sure, and it will more than likely be a 76/77 instead of 79!

As for the others, well sometimes the phrase that my late grandfather told me to decsribe the game of golf is very poetic: "Golf is a 4 letter word than can only be described using other 4 letter words!" ;)

Survived my scramble a few days ago. Going into it, I seriously thought that given my teams make up (me at a handicap index now of 7.4 and the other three who sport handicaps between 23 to 30), and the course we were playing, short, tight and really funky, undulating greens where the pins year in and year out for this tourney are set in EVIL places, that we'd shoot -4/-5 range. Ended up at -7 (even with a dreaded bogey in a scramble) - can't complain too much!

ALL of our games definately picked up when the very cute beer cart girl hit the course and started bringing us ICE cold Bud Lite Limes ;)

I figure now with how I was really going at the driver and really lauching it(actually hit it almost 100 yards past the group infront of us on a blind 90 degree dogleg par 5 :) ), that I've got quite a few rounds of ugly swings coming up to get my "regular" swing tempo back :( Bottomline is a bunch of $$ was raised for the local special needs kids summer camp!

Warp Daddy

Nice 80 Warp. That 1st num as a 7 will come soon I'm sure, and it will more than likely be a 76/77 instead of 79!

As for the others, well sometimes the phrase that my late grandfather told me to decsribe the game of golf is very poetic: "Golf is a 4 letter word than can only be described using other 4 letter words!" ;)

Survived my scramble a few days ago. Going into it, I seriously thought that given my teams make up (me at a handicap index now of 7.4 and the other three who sport handicaps between 23 to 30), and the course we were playing, short, tight and really funky, undulating greens where the pins year in and year out for this tourney are set in EVIL places, that we'd shoot -4/-5 range. Ended up at -7 (even with a dreaded bogey in a scramble) - can't complain too much!

ALL of our games definately picked up when the very cute beer cart girl hit the course and started bringing us ICE cold Bud Lite Limes ;)

I figure now with how I was really going at the driver and really lauching it(actually hit it almost 100 yards past the group infront of us on a blind 90 degree dogleg par 5 :) ), that I've got quite a few rounds of ugly swings coming up to get my "regular" swing tempo back :( Bottomline is a bunch of $$ was raised for the local special needs kids summer camp!

Nice that u guys got out had fun helped the charity AND were INSPIRED by the Beer Wench !! :bber: :D:D . Beer Wenches RULE !!!
I emp[athesize abouT Evil pin spots . I had one today that was a double undulater raised and trapped on 2 sides with the pin set by a sadist who put it on the very peak of a double fall off :uzi: - GRRRRR . It was an all or NUTHIN putt

drjeff

Nice that u guys got out had fun helped the charity AND were INSPIRED by the Beer Wench !! :bber: :D:D . Beer Wenches RULE !!!
I emp[athesize abouT Evil pin spots . I had one today that was a double undulater raised and trapped on 2 sides with the pin set by a sadist who put it on the very peak of a double fall off :uzi: - GRRRRR . It was an all or NUTHIN putt

The sadistic pinsetter for my tourney liked the front corner mounds (maybe 2 paces on/2 paces in from the sides) all on greens that generally fall 3 to maybe 5 feet from back to front :eek: - we actually had 2 holes where we ended up putting from the back :eek: and our best of the 4 was atleast 3 feet off the front of the green :eek: - frustrating, yup, but kind of fun in a way too (especially after a couple of rounds of "swing lube" from the beer cart girl ;)

Warp Daddy

After a 2 year study, the National Science Foundation announced the following results on America's recreational preferences:
1. The sport of choice for unemployed or incarcerated people is: basketball.
2. The sport of choice for maintenance level employees is: bowling.
3. The sport of choice for blue-collar workers is: football.
4. The sport of choice for supervisors is: baseball.
5. The sport of choice for middle management is: tennis.
6. The sport of choice for corporate officers is: golf.
Conclusion: The higher you rise in the corporate structure, the smaller your balls become.