• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread 2009

ComeBackMudPuddles

you guys and gals are too good at golf.

i play exclusively with a 5 iron, a 7 iron, a pitching wedge and a putter, because i can't hit with ANY of my other clubs. drivers? forget it.

i'm terrible at golf.

but, i like to play.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

i play exclusively with a 5 iron, a 7 iron, a pitching wedge and a putter, because i can't hit with ANY of my other clubs. drivers? forget it.

i'm terrible at golf.

but, i like to play.

Keep at it! When I started out, I couldn't hit a hybrid and I now the club now. Finally starting to get the woods going but I am still inconsistent. Maybe one of these days I will dare to take the driver out again. :-o :-?

Mostly recovered from my dog reinjuring my thumb, so I'll be hitting the driving range this weekend with a day on the course and some more range next week and ending June with two scrambles. Finally! Bought a driving range membership this year and haven't been able to use it due to the two thumb re-injuries. I'll be lucky to break even at this rate.

Warp Daddy

i'm terrible at golf.

but, i like to play.

Just keep playing and maybe take a lesson that may help . I never took any lessons , read some books , played with some guys who were better than me and JUST KEPT Playing and reading and watching instructional videos on the nets pretty soon things came around . Course the thing that really hooked me was i was LUCKY enough in my second season 4 years ago to get a hole in one :D:D

Seriously just keep swinging the clubs , don't death grip the clubs and RELAX if u hit a bad shot ( and we ALL do ) let it go and focus on the next one -- Have Fun

ComeBackMudPuddles

thanks for the encouragement. wish i had friends that could give me helpful tips. instead, i'm stuck with idiots that come up with nicknames like "divot boy". :cry:

seriously speaking, yeah, i know, it's all about getting out there. but, man, the progress is SLOW. i just don't get how i can be so coordinated on the slopes and so completely lost on the links.

but, that's what the roving beer carts are for. i'm usually the beer girl's best customer on the course when i play!

:beer:

Warp Daddy

thanks for the encouragement. wish i had friends that could give me helpful tips. instead, i'm stuck with idiots that come up with nicknames like "divot boy". :cry:

seriously speaking, yeah, i know, it's all about getting out there. but, man, the progress is SLOW. i just don't get how i can be so coordinated on the slopes and so completely lost on the links.

but, that's what the roving beer carts are for. i'm usually the beer girl's best customer on the course when i play!

Yeah well welcome to the club !! Ever watch Robin Williams routine on teh history of golf -- IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING _ROFLMBFAO !!!!!!!!

Golf is a game for masochists :D there are so many independent variables that can screw up what amounts to a walk in the meadows :D It is frustrating but teh key is to stay LOOSE mentally and physically and just keep reading watching and learning the game and then JUST when ya THINK I"M in the ONE -- one of those damn variables changes JUST to mess with your head

Beer tents are KEWL too !! :beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
thanks for the encouragement. wish i had friends that could give me helpful tips.
For helpful tips, check out videojug.com and search for golf. The videojug.com videos on golf are all sensational. Youtube.com for Shawn Clement... also some amazingly good free online instructional videos. The web is full of people self promoting their golf instruction by offering free videos online so they can promote themselves and their club to try to get business. It doesn't take the place of a lesson so someone can fix your swing... but that is how I learned and I can at least get around a full course for the most part without too many snowmen. :lol:

Not a video, but here is a good web site that discusses the swing:
http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/

ComeBackMudPuddles

For helpful tips, check out videojug.com and search for golf. The videojug.com videos on golf are all sensational. Youtube.com for Shawn Clement... also some amazingly good free online instructional videos. The web is full of people self promoting their golf instruction by offering free videos online so they can promote themselves and their club to try to get business. It doesn't take the place of a lesson so someone can fix your swing... but that is how I learned and I can at least get around a full course for the most part without too many snowmen. :lol:

Not a video, but here is a good web site that discusses the swing:
http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/

thanks!! i'll definitely check those resources out.

Trekchick

There are tons of good tips you can get that will help the game. I usually pick up a few here and there on the course, but I also took lessons at the beginning of my golf experience, and continue to take a lesson a year to sharpen my skills.

Surprisingly, golf lessons are not that expensive and you can get a lot out of it.

After I broke my wrist last year I needed to make an appointment to completely change my grip and get the power back in my swing. THAT was a chore!

And, yes I have seen the Robin Williams bit.
Some language, but hilarious!
Thanks to Phil for first sharing this with me....
Enjoy!
http://funrestarea.com/pages/robin_williams.shtml

campgottagopee

Couple things:

1. The game was invented by a bunch of drunks, so keep up the good drinking (most important)

2. Keep your head still---- the first step to a good golf swing

3. Turn your shoulders----by thinking of "this" what needs to take place in the golf swing will just happen naturally

4. Swing "out" at the ball---think of swinging to 1 o'clock----this will help in a nice "round" swing

5. Hit down and THRU the ball---take a divot!!!! By hitting "down" the ball will go up, it's gotta. In other words let the club do the work.

6. Always refer back to #1 when all else fails.

Keep us posted and enjoy!!!! :daffy:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
#1 and #6 are sound advice. The rest of the advice depends on a number of factors. What if the guy is a hooker? Then #4 would be deadly. For me, I am a digger and take too much turf, so #5 would kill my game. And the instruction I am familiar with does not advocate the "keep your head down" method because the head should have a small "sway" backwards during the backswing and the head should come up in the follow through and "keeping your head down" may cause impact problems if someone is too focused on their head.

Generally, I find advice given online to be too general and catch all so I would get a lesson and have someone fix things when they can see your swing instead.

campgottagopee

#1 and #6 are sound advice. The rest of the advice depends on a number of factors. What if the guy is a hooker? Then #4 would be deadly. For me, I am a digger and take too much turf, so #5 would kill my game. And the instruction I am familiar with does not advocate the "keep your head down" method because the head should have a small "sway" backwards during the backswing and the head should come up in the follow through and "keeping your head down" may cause impact problems if someone is too focused on their head.

Generally, I find advice given online to be too general and catch all so I would get a lesson and have someone fix things when they can see your swing instead.

Not really Riv...He's just begining so dollars to doughnuts he aint' hooking it. If he is, it's do to more of an "over the top move" than an inside out, or "swing to 1 o'clock" move. Swinging to 1 will help stop the over the top move that most begginers develope by trying to hit the ball too hard, or hit it from the top of the swing. A "digger" is usually a result of hitting it fat, not hitting down on the ball, there is a difference. Never said keep "head down", said "still". Keeping the head still promotes a smooth straight takeaway and good turn, of which is needed to hit down and thru the ball.

Online advise, imo. should be general because there are many ways to skin a cat. I'm not a "techy" person in golf or skiing. I rely heavily on the "kiss" method and let nature take over. After all (as a very famous man said) "All we can do is hit it, then God takes over."

campgottagopee

Anyone hit 'em over the weekend?? Sunday I shot an 80 w/ 2 dbls---gawd I hate dbls!!! Strokes are too hard to make up to give that many away in 1 friggin hole. Hit it pretty darn good except for 2 bad t-balls that I was "stuck" on my right side resulting in ugliness. Have our "usual group" tomorrow so lookinf forward to that.

Warp Daddy

Anyone hit 'em over the weekend?? Sunday I shot an 80 w/ 2 dbls---gawd I hate dbls!!! Strokes are too hard to make up to give that many away in 1 friggin hole. Hit it pretty darn good except for 2 bad t-balls that I was "stuck" on my right side resulting in ugliness. Have our "usual group" tomorrow so lookinf forward to that.

Nice round my man !!! , an 80 is damn fine ball striking .

I played Saturday was ok but nuthin special an 88.My first nine was rocky a 46 then a 42 on the back side . I had a few too many doubles myself darn it , but tomorrow's another day :D

drjeff

Struck it pretty well today tee to green (4 fairways and 6 greens for 9 holes) - wasn't happy with the 17 putts though and ended up with a 2 over 38. Would have liked to play the back nine, but the rain this morning had me delay my start and then I had some stuff this afternoon that I couldn't miss. Figures since on 7,8 and 9 I was REALLY getting the irons dialed in and hit all 3 within 10 feet - just gotta get the ball rolling with the flat stick and I could really get a round going I feel.

Atleast I'll get to see firsthand how it's "reallly done" on Friday and Saturday as I'll be down at the US Open hiking around Bethpage :)

Warp Daddy

Struck it pretty well today tee to green (4 fairways and 6 greens for 9 holes) - wasn't happy with the 17 putts though and ended up with a 2 over 38. Would have liked to play the back nine, but the rain this morning had me delay my start and then I had some stuff this afternoon that I couldn't miss. Figures since on 7,8 and 9 I was REALLY getting the irons dialed in and hit all 3 within 10 feet - just gotta get the ball rolling with the flat stick and I could really get a round going I feel.

Atleast I'll get to see firsthand how it's "reallly done" on Friday and Saturday as I'll be down at the US Open hiking around Bethpage :)

TWO Over !!!!!!!!!! Awesome round doc . Its great when everything is clicking hitting those approaches as you described them is Playing in the Zone

campgottagopee

Ain't kiddin there Doc---I was a caddy there during a NYS Open Qualifier for a buddy of mine years ago---all I can say is TV does that place ZERO justice. That somebeech is steep!!! Oh, long too :grin:

drjeff

Ain't kiddin there Doc---I was a caddy there during a NYS Open Qualifier for a buddy of mine years ago---all I can say is TV does that place ZERO justice. That somebeech is steep!!! Oh, long too :grin:

Never played it myself, but my business partner (who I'm going to the open with), grew up in Bethpage and has played the Black(and the other 4 courses there) many times. Can't wait to see it in person!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Due to my thumb injury (and re-injury and second re-injury), I have only had one day on the course and two days at the range. Got out to the range today and had complete and total paralysis by analysis. I couldn't stop tinkering and trying to make small adjustments. Got to the point that even when I was trying to not analyze and just swing... I still couldn't let it happen. Did nail one amazing hum dinger off my new Acer 4H. Guys next to me took notice and were like "nice club!" They were really surprised about it being a component LOL! They were all trying their new $300 Nike Sasquatch. I'm belting em' out with my $40 hybrid built with my preference in shaft and grip!