• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread 2009

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Much as I love snow, winter has gotten a little old as of late. Looking forward to some warmer weather, green grass, no ice on the sidewalk, and yes, golf! Won't impact my skiing as I am a mid-week twilight rates only type of golfer and almost always ski on the weekends. No interest in golf/ski same day either. If I can ski, I am skiing all day until it hurts during the spring!

Entering my second season, I am doing so having done lots of reading up over the winter. Understanding many things a lot better including how to practice most effectively, course strategy, how clubs interact with the ball, and swing mechanics. You can only learn so much from a book, but I feel I filled in a lot of gaps. Most especially, I had a MAJOR grip issue that I could fix in doors very quickly.

Just made a small purchase on some "essentials" including a pair of golf shoes. Never thought I would be caught dead in golf shoes, but I wrecked a pair of sneakers last season. And walking a course in wet sneakers sucks. So two year water proof guarantee for nice leather shoes was well worth the clearance price. New gloves as well. And a new 64* wedge (I had been thinking about it last season but Pelz convinced me ;) ). Not bad for a double digit price tag shipped. Still need to decide if I like mid-sized or jumbo grips better and re-grip my clubs, many of which are regular size and uncomfortably small.

Goals for this season include breaking 100 (or 50 on 9), straightening out my slice, and becoming more consistent. First order of business is going to be establishing distances with all my irons at the range (perhaps getting a range membership if the price is cheap enough). And finally taking some lessons, which I think is the only thing that will get the slice and push under control. Should be a great season... once the 3' of snow on the courses finally melts.

My Dad has been playing golf pretty regularly....down in Deleware when we had snow on the ground and recently at local courses. I have yet to hit a ball but will soon..for this summer, I want a new driver..I tee off with a 12 degree 2 wood which is great but I want something with a little less loft..for more distance..It's such a big tradeoff..with 12 degrees of loft, I have a much better chance at booting the ball up but I lose distance with too much loft. I'd like to break 80 on a legit course..not a par 64 farm course..I'd also like to really try to not follow up a bad shot with another bad shot..holes like that turn round where I am on pace to break 90 into rounds where I stop keeping score out of frustration. I also want to avoid saying I'm Never Playing Golf Again after a bad round...golf is a four letter word but a great shot, hole, round makes it all worthwhile..OK..now back to 6 more weeks of east coast skiing..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll get back into golf when I retire and have the time to do it 2-3 days a week. I used to play quite a bit during High School through College and a couple of years after. I was never great, but would shoot in the 95 to 105 range consistently. Never broke 90, low round for 9 was a 41.....followed by a 58 on the back :lol:

Golf is a game I need to play often in order to enjoy it. Skiing is the same way, but to a lesser extent. If I couldn't get out at least ten days a season, it's unlikely I'd go at all. I have fairly high expectations for myself with athletic pursuits. I don't need to be the best on the hill, course...etc, but I do need to participate at a high level for me. Skiing I can accomplish that by just getting out 15 days and being in decent shape. Golf takes a much greater commitment / practice to maintain your skill set.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I want a new driver..I tee off with a 12 degree 2 wood which is great but I want something with a little less loft..for more distance..It's such a big tradeoff..with 12 degrees of loft, I have a much better chance at booting the ball up but I lose distance with too much loft.
I read some books by Tom Wishon recently. Wishon had some interesting statistics and data showing that with a swing speed less than 100 MPH that a 13 degree driver went the furthest. As I recall, Wishon argues that speeds less than 100 MPH can not capitalize on the benefits of less loft and actually result in slightly shorter drives with a higher percent chance of an off hit. Definitely makes me want to get on a launch monitor sometime this season once I dial in my swing a big more. Also interested in trying a higher lofted driver compared to my current 10.5*. Though, I see the driver as a useless club until I fix my slice, which is only an issue with the woods in my bag.

I read some books by Tom Wishon recently. Wishon had some interesting statistics and data showing that with a swing speed less than 100 MPH that a 13 degree driver went the furthest. As I recall, Wishon argues that speeds less than 100 MPH can not capitalize on the benefits of less loft and actually result in slightly shorter drives with a higher percent chance of an off hit. Definitely makes me want to get on a launch monitor sometime this season once I dial in my swing a big more. Also interested in trying a higher lofted driver compared to my current 10.5*. Though, I see the driver as a useless club until I fix my slice, which is only an issue with the woods in my bag.

I have no idea what my swing speed is..I know they sell a device to test it..I know that for an average golfer..more than 60 percent of all shots are less than 100 yards..drive for show..putt for dough..when I was a newer golfer..I used to tee off with 5-irons..then 3-irons and then a 3 wood..my 12 degree has been what I have been using for 5 years and it's been great..the head popped off once but I had it repaired..my putter looks like it was stolen from a mini golf course but it works well for me..I want to keep putting stats this year..I practice putting in my apartment year round..when I vacuum it runs a little fast on the lint meter..

Warp Daddy

Steve good luck with the 64* wedge -- have one that i now hardly ever use now
I found it too much of an all or nothing club . I 'll open up my 56* or 60 * wedges and seem to get more consistent results , but hey give it a shot .

I play 3 -4 times a week for 6 months a year so get about 75 rounds a season , This is my fifth year and my handicap is 15 which i'd like to lower this year . At 65 years old my swing speed is now in the low 90's so i'm not going to seeing many tee shots over 240 -250 so i aim for consistency and use course management . I do however luv my Nike #1 hybrid which i got late August 08 . I ts a go to club for long second shots on par 5 's or use off the tee on some shorter par 4's

I also want to break 80 this year after having several rounds last season in the 81-83 range, so it's just a matter of trying to remain relaxed yet focused

Here's to a great up coming season but hopefully not too soon

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Steve good luck with the 64* wedge -- have one that i now hardly ever use now
I found it too much of an all or nothing club . I 'll open up my 56* or 60 * wedges and seem to get more consistent results , but hey give it a shot .
I am still inconsistent with getting good shots by opening up clubs. But the bigger issue with my 56* and 60* is that they have high bounce and fat soles so they are the suck off tight lies. So it isn't just for lob shots, but more specifically for tight lies (when I actually find them!) and hard pan. Plus, Pelz convinced me that his 4 wedge x 3 swings method is ideal for having all yardages covered inside a 9I. So I think it will work for me.

2knees

i've almost given up on golf as anything other then an excuse to get out. I used to shoot regularly in the 80's (NO MULLIGANS). Last summer, playing with my dad, i shot a 121. no freakin lie. unless i take a lesson to figure out what is going on, i'm shot.

drjeff

Wishon is practically a god in the club design world, right up there with say a Scotty Cameron for putters, a Bob Vokey for wedges and Roger Cleveland for just about any club!

Gotta agree with the loft/swing speed thing. Pretty much 90% or so of the golfing population shouldn't have a driver less than 10 degrees(if even have a driver at all). Some degree of variances based on "angle of attack" of the swing though, where someone with a flat approach to the ball can get away with less loft since that swing plane usually promotes contact on the way back up, and hence a realized higher amount of loft than the actual club, whereas someone with a steep angle of attack to the ball tends to deloft the club face at impact, and hence can benefit from a higher lofted club to allow for ideal launcg angle of the ball.

To add to the relevance of the gold thread 2009, I sent in my check for my dues to the course I belong to today - now I just need it to dry out so I can hit some balls after work sooner or later :)

campgottagopee

I've gotten in 2 rounds s far this year...Sunday and yesterday---my club opened last friday and we're in ok shape. Still a lot of "snow bunkers" around and a lot of roped off mud, but hey, it's golf in March.

First skins game of the year was sunday---22 guys, $440.00 in money w/ only 2 skins out---I donated :wink:

tjf67

I have no idea what my swing speed is..I know they sell a device to test it..I know that for an average golfer..more than 60 percent of all shots are less than 100 yards..drive for show..putt for dough..when I was a newer golfer..I used to tee off with 5-irons..then 3-irons and then a 3 wood..my 12 degree has been what I have been using for 5 years and it's been great..the head popped off once but I had it repaired..my putter looks like it was stolen from a mini golf course but it works well for me..I want to keep putting stats this year..I practice putting in my apartment year round..when I vacuum it runs a little fast on the lint meter..

You can go to dicks and they have a launch monitor in the back they let you use.

ChileMass

Totally showing off here - I was in China 2 weeks ago and my company host who does not play golf asked me if I would be willing to play with some client bigshots that had been requesting a golf outing. My local guys couldn't get face-time with these Asian managers since they don't play golf!! So I got in 18 on the Greg Norman course at Mission Hills GC in Shenzhen a week ago Thursday, in the humid and sticky jungle.

A great day started out unbelieveably well - I somehow drained a 70-foot par putt on #1 and the 3 Chinese guys I was playing with thought I was Tiger Fkg Woods. Of course I duffed my next drive into the weeds (my stellar winter golf game coming out), but it was a thrill.

That's what comes of not playing the game - my boss's boss stays in the office while I play 18......sometimes life is good.

Warp Daddy

Totally showing off here - I was in China 2 weeks ago and my company host who does not play golf asked me if I would be willing to play with some client bigshots that had been requesting a golf outing. My local guys couldn't get face-time with these Asian managers since they don't play golf!! So I got in 18 on the Greg Norman course at Mission Hills GC in Shenzhen a week ago Thursday, in the humid and sticky jungle.

A great day started out unbelieveably well - I somehow drained a 70-foot par putt on #1 and the 3 Chinese guys I was playing with thought I was Tiger Fkg Woods. Of course I duffed my next drive into the weeds (my stellar winter golf game coming out), but it was a thrill.

That's what comes of not playing the game - my boss's boss stays in the office while I play 18......sometimes life is good.

Nice perk my man !!!

awesome...70 foot putt..dang!!!!

drjeff

awesome...70 foot putt..dang!!!!

70 footer on the 1st hole! Man I would have just walked right off the course and headed straight for the bar after that, since you know that there's just about no possible way for your round to go anywhere but down from there! :lol: ;)

FRITOLAYGUY

shot an 87 the other day i had 4 birdies in one round ive never done that before, i also had alot of doubles, remember golf is a 6inch wide fairway, figure it out!