• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Premium" AWD Sports Sedans

hammer

OK, so I've been checking into used (~2-3 YO) AWD sports sedans as a replacement for my 10+ YO Subaru Outback, which will be handed down to my son once he gets his license (watch out Mass. drivers :roll::wink:). A new vehicle of this type is way above budget...

So far, I've test driven the following:

• Audi A4 and A6
  • Infiniti G35x
  • Acura RL
  • BMW 328xi and 5-series (forget the exact model)
All are definitely nice cars...right now, the "short list" consists of the G35x (which has loads of power and nice gadgets) and the BMW 328xi (which was the best overall to drive). For now, the A4 is off if the list because the back seat's a bit too tight, and the A6, RL, and BMW 5-series are all a bit too big (and even the used 5 series is out of my price range). I'm still looking to test drive a BMW 330xi to see how I'd like the extra power, although those can also be pricey.

Any opinions?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'd go with the 3 series.... newer one will likely be slightly more reliable. I wouldn't buy a 330xi unless it was a CPO.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's too bad that they don't make a Lexus IS350 in AWD. They only make the 250 in AWD. My mother has the RWD 350 and the car is a freaking rocket ship.

hammer

It's too bad that they don't make a Lexus IS350 in AWD. They only make the 250 in AWD. My mother has the RWD 350 and the car is a freaking rocket ship.
The G35x is a rocket ship IMO...not too crazy about the styling prior to the 2007 model, though.

Tough decision...the BMW 3-series edges out the G35x on driveability (and gas mileage) but comments about only going with a CPO do bring up the reliability issue. Unlike many people, I like to buy and hold my cars, and I'd want something that could last well over 100k miles without becoming a maintenance nightmare.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The G35x is a rocket ship IMO...not too crazy about the styling prior to the 2007 model, though.

Tough decision...the BMW 3-series edges out the G35x on driveability (and gas mileage) but comments about only going with a CPO do bring up the reliability issue. Unlike many people, I like to buy and hold my cars, and I'd want something that could last well over 100k miles without becoming a maintenance nightmare.

Just speaking generally, I'd definitely go Japanese rather than German if buy n hold is your bag.

campgottagopee

Then don't go German---better stick with the Japs

deadheadskier

Staff member

...or Koreans

Not that it's the same type of car Hammer is looking for, but the new Hyundai Genesis is a helluva car. My father recently went to check one out as the warranty on his Infiniti M35X had just expired. He was blown away by the Genesis, just a better car in almost every way than the Infiniti M and the price tag was over 15 grand cheaper. Made the switch right then and there.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I drive an Audi. My 2nd one. I also have had an acura in the past and my wife has an MDX. The Audi drives substantially better. But if you're concerned with buying and holding for the long-run, like others have said, go Japanese. I think you will have some electrical issues at one time with a German car.

Warp Daddy

My wife's cousin a single guy with means bought a new Beemer Z4-- 4 years ago as a summer play thing then also leased a 735 2 yrs ago

He has had nothing but trouble with BOTH . the Z is a POS in terms of reliability and his 735 well lets just say his next vehilcles are going to be Japs . he has an old ALERO as a winter rat that is MORE reliablre than EITHER BEEMER

My kid brother also has a Used 535 which has made his wallet lighter in terms of maintenance

Get the Infiniti

campgottagopee

My wife's cousin a single guy with means bought a new Beemer Z4-- 4 years ago as a summer play thing then also leased a 735 2 yrs ago

He has had nothing but trouble with BOTH . the Z is a POS in terms of reliability and his 735 well lets just say his next vehilcles are going to be Japs . he has an old ALERO as a winter rat that is MORE reliablre than EITHER BEEMER

My kid brother also has a Used 535 which has made his wallet lighter in terms of maintenance

Get the Infiniti

7 Series!!!! Dang, I wanna be your wife's cuzin's friend 8)

hammer

Not that it's the same type of car Hammer is looking for, but the new Hyundai Genesis is a helluva car. My father recently went to check one out as the warranty on his Infiniti M35X had just expired. He was blown away by the Genesis, just a better car in almost every way than the Infiniti M and the price tag was over 15 grand cheaper. Made the switch right then and there.
Checked it out...too expensive (my "arbitrary" upper price point is about $30K) and no AWD.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Checked it out...too expensive (my "arbitrary" upper price point is about $30K) and no AWD.

oh, definitely realize it's not what your looking for in terms of price and capabilities, just pointing out its a sawheet ride. Pops paid 42 for it when a similar M series would have cost him around 60.

I just see Hyundai as a car company that will soon be mentioned in the same breath as it's Japanese competitors. I was looking for just a standard reliable sedan; test drove the Sonata, Accord and Camry. I thought the Sonata drove much nicer and was 4 grand cheaper for the same features.