• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$50 to mount a binding?? Is it excessive?

Bumpsis

So I've got a new pair of skis and bindings that are an integrated system.

Essentially, the bindings slide over the brackets and get attached with screws to the bracket. The screws (come with bindings) go into pre-set holes - no drilling required. Then, set the tension of the springs according to the weight/age/skier type, do a binding check - also a standard procedure.
The whole task should take no more than 10 minutes.
Charge: 50 effing bucks at the Ski Market - Boston, Commonwealth ave!

I think that's a rip off. It's a simple, quick procedure. I was actually thinking about doing myself, but really was not sure about the proper boot placement and I really wanted to ski this Saturday, so I agreed.
So, of course, I'm willing to pay for a trained tech's time, but at the rate of $50 per 10 minutes work, that really gets me.

No, the ski/ binding was not bought in the store, so sure, I expect to pay, but still...

So, I'm wondering, is that a going rate in other places for attaching a binding or did I get ripped off?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
On my last pair of skis (also with integrated binding system, I got them installed for $20, but that store went out of business...makes ya wonder.

That's the norm..I've even seen $75..but alot of ski shops include the mounting if you buy the binding there. If you bought the skis/bindings online, I can see why they charge that much.

GolfingOwl

Ski shops try to overcharge for purchases made out of their store. It's a backlash to internet sales. If you look around or are a regular customer of a ski shop, you can get it done for the $20-30 range. The integrated bindings are so easy, you can even have them done at outdoor store that sells skis with little worry. I had my integrated bindings installed by REI ($25 for members) on my Fischer AMC 79's that I bought on eBay after my local ski shop tried to rape me for $75.

skidbump

All 3 shops i deal with are in 75 range ..so i try and buy bindings at local shops and skiis are almost all from demo sales online.

thetrailboss

Staff member
$35 is the norm up north from what I have seen. And be sure that they did it right. I've heard horror stories about some of the Ski Market Stores, which are independently managed. That said, one of the managers sent me a diplomatic Email in the fall saying that if there are any complaints he'd like to know so that he can correct them. I was just voicing the "word on the street" that I've heard and seen in here over the past few years.

roark

Lots of $75 quotes!!! Wow. I thought $35 was robbery. Most of my quiver was around ~$300 total skis + bindings. As a %, $75 is insane.

Just pulled the binders off a pair of skis I had mounted at the local shop (Keene NH) last year and there's a plugged hole no where near the mounting plate (it was covered up by the heel piece). Seriously, they couldn't do some dumpster diving to practice plugging holes on?!?!?

Never again will they get my buisiness - for *anything*. I've gotten over having someone else do simple manual labor for me. I'll just bring them for the release test if that's reasonable.

sLoPeS

$50 isnt bad. 40 is more reasonable, but 50 is nothing to really wet ur pants over. my shop charges me $50 to mount but that also includes a stone grind, setting the bevels and a hot wax.

Grassi21

i bought skis from Tramdock and bindings from my local shop. I inquired about the cost to mount and they said $60 bucks. But the nice thing about my shop is that if you but the ski or binding from them they will mount it for free. They only charge if a customer brings in skis and bindings from an outside source.

if you're buying your gear online and bringing it into a shop you should expect to get whacked by the retailer...if you buy from your local or mountain shop its pretty likely that you can get the mount for free or at least half price. The more you establish a relationship with a retailer, the better they'll treat you...
I do think $50 is a lot for mounting a system...but if you didn't buy it there and just need the service you'll pay for it.

Grassi21

if you're buying your gear online and bringing it into a shop you should expect to get whacked by the retailer...if you buy from your local or mountain shop its pretty likely that you can get the mount for free or at least half price. The more you establish a relationship with a retailer, the better they'll treat you...
I do think $50 is a lot for mounting a system...but if you didn't buy it there and just need the service you'll pay for it.

+1

I brought a set of skis in for a minor repair. They threw in a free tune as well. It pays to stop in a often and drool over their inventory.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
$50 is the going rate anytime I checked. Here's a thought, next time mount them yourself and then just take them into the shop to have them adjusted, should be $25 for that.

Bumpsis

Very interesting feedback. I am surprised at the higher than $ 50 charges for this service. Hey, I was, still am rather peeved at having to pay the fifty for a rathere small service.

I suppose that to some extent the brick and mortar shops are trying to capture all possible revenue since the competition against the on-line merchants is tough. But as customer I see this charge as somewhat retaliatory, but that's one good way to piss customers off. I know that just two years ago they charged me $ 35 to put a bidning on, also not their equipment. At this point, I am a bit less likely to buy anything from them in the future.

I have bought stuff at that Ski Market - couple of pairs of boots, and smaller ski stuff. I considered even buying skis from them but the prices for those were at least double to what I found on line. Their selection was also rather paltry. I see them morphing more into a sports clothing store, being rather light on equipment.

Mildcat

Some online shops will mount the bindings for free if you tell them your boot sole length. You still have to bring them to a shop to get them set to your boot but that's only about $20.