• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump or Bust III - 3/22/09

Grassi21

I didn't compete yesterday and I am shot today. Must have been the beers... The two runs I took at the end of the day were..... interesting. Drinking and skiing is not a good idea.

JimG, great skiing with you for a bit. I thought you were going to take it easy and watch. Every time I saw you during the comp you were skiing by us at the base. Glad you liked our hill

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
WOW, this must have been such a blast! Please don't post anymore pics, the "missed out" factor is already through the roof ;)

Incredible pics. Nice camera.
Thanks! :D It's a step down from what I used to have but very nice. I did get a common Canon ERR 99 issue a few times (one when Hammer blew by during his qualifying run with powhunter) and that sucked, but for the most part, it worked well.

madriverjack

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the compliments and also for making me feel welcome at your mountian. Everyone skied awsome and it was a great time, let's hook up and get some more skiing in next weekend. Great job with the contest Sundown!!!

Grassi21

Okay, here's the vid. I didn't take a lot of it, but here's what I got. Into > Hammer/powhunter qualifier, random duels from below the second kicker including 2knees > Goofball johnnypoach segment > 3rd/4th finals > Finals > 1st place award ceremony > quick Randy Grasso interview (although my dumb ass seems to cut him off early :oops:). Anyway, enjoy:

Nice Greg. I liked the johnnypoach and hammer interviews the best. All the yelling in the background of JPs segment was me, MrMagic, and MRGisevil. Funny stuff.

MRGisevil

Figures - the majority of pics are from the "glamor" slopestyle event...

Actually, I had a long chat with the guy in the lodge. Really nice fellow. He was there to shoot the Big Air comp only, but knows Johnny (I swear, it's like 6 degrees to Johnny Poach, everyone seems to know the dude somehow) and couldn't help but toss a picture of him in the shuffle.

I had the coolest time yesterday. It was really fun hanging out with the group, great to see JimG. again and awesome to meet some new AZers. MRJack is an awesome dude, by the way. Got along with him instantly, and a fantastic skeir to boot. Rocked the pink bunny helm like woah. 2knees is as awesome as always, Greg's really killing it in the moguls, Brian, Carrie, Grassi, Magic, Jeff all provided entertainment at the bucket station, Steve and Johnny served as excellent lift-ride companions and my lawn chair was quite comfy.

I will be totally honest, I still have no idea who these Meatheads people are. But they can ski pretty freakin' well. That's for sure. And I'm not afraid to say that I think I have a chick crush on the blonde girl (2nd place in women's, I think?). Holy stinkin' cow, she was good!

Tim asked me to recall all the nicknames I had for people this morning, but to be honest, I don't remember. Out of them, I know there was: Captain Planet, Toby Kieth, Urban Commando, Bumblebee, and, my personal favorite: that kid who looked like if Brian Austin Green's character from 90210 and Zack Morris had a baby, and then that baby found a really cool headband, it might look kinda like that kid.

For those of you who were wondering (I know it was on your minds weighing so heavily that you couldn't sleep last night) I did get my McDonald's in the end.

I think I'm still drunk, a little.

SkiDork

thanks for setting me straight on the photog.. Didn't realize that...

BTW - the meatheads are the coolest.. Basically they're promoting the idea that skiing on the east coast is just as cool as skiing the west coast...

Grassi21

Tim asked me to recall all the nicknames I had for people this morning, but to be honest, I don't remember. Out of them, I know there was: Captain Planet, Toby Kieth, Urban Commando, Bumblebee, and, my personal favorite: that kid who looked like if Brian Austin Green's character from 90210 and Zack Morris had a baby, and then that baby found a really cool headband, it might look kinda like that kid.

For those of you who were wondering (I know it was on your minds weighing so heavily that you couldn't sleep last night) I did get my McDonald's in the end.

I think I'm still drunk, a little.

Don't forget brown guy....

And after a post comp safety meeting I hit McDonalds as well... :oops:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I will be totally honest, I still have no idea who these Meatheads people are. But they can ski pretty freakin' well. That's for sure. And I'm not afraid to say that I think I have a chick crush on the blonde girl (2nd place in women's, I think?). Holy stinkin' cow, she was good!
You should have stuck around! I got to have a beer and a chat with her in the lounge after the awards! Very humble lady.

Don't forget brown guy....
Brown guy who really isn't brown guy. He was some-kind-of-green guy, wasn't he?

More photos being uploaded... I upgraded to pay flickr but that might mean the pics will be a little bigger. My apologies to those on slow connections or small monitors.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Spencer -vs- ?
3379214408_c8470da8a3_o.jpg

Spencer -vs- ?
3379215202_bd442d93cf_o.jpg

3379215974_198bb3674f_o.jpg

Meathead Films' "The Hammer":
3379216736_33aed94a1d_o.jpg

3378398901_559dc6a219_o.jpg

3378399577_faa3946bd1_o.jpg

3378400125_f5f5bdb929_o.jpg

This one came out kind of weirdly, but I like it (180):
3379219184_cfefa26919_o.jpg

Last edited:

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
Thanks for the compliment. I just hope that Dork and I can afford to see him get to that level. It would be good to get some sponsorship for him.

Also thanks to Severine and hubby for their hospitality.

keep him out there and skiing... he'll get noticed. Seemed like a nice kid too. All that stuff combines and just manifests its self when the timing lines up.

Comps, pictures on-line, and being chatty with people... that's all it takes

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
2knees (right?):
3378401471_444219efd1_o.jpg

This one is awesome :D
3379220338_8307a59f0f_o.jpg

3378402725_61d39a8e55_o.jpg

3379221456_9e2cd8950f_o.jpg

3379222236_b8c9efed8d_o.jpg

3378404991_22d84ef7a2_o.jpg

3379223702_65d1445919_o.jpg

Look! It's Greg on the groomed side of Gunny again! ;)
3378406215_9c53c54e2f_o.jpg

? -vs- madriverjack
3379225176_202e3bb564_o.jpg

Last edited:

SkiDork

Carrie - great shots, especially the close up of 2knees. That guy rocks! You've got a really nice camera there and you do some great photography.

That was funny when Jarrod said "There's Greg on a groomer, something he does very well"

Philpug

Carrie, great shots, what camera, lens and settings? Please teach me how to shoot.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
3379269018_d796518b85_o.jpg

3379269682_3df8ce33c6_o.jpg

3379270528_8af7d7d860_o.jpg

Brian took the rest of these from the race shack...
3378453501_face7dcf19_o.jpg

3378454199_8bacf24856_o.jpg

I'm actually in 2 of these base pics (the only photos of me from my camera that day :D). Little bit of flurries to end the day, too.
3379287130_0611e4f77e_o.jpg

3379288234_b1e88f2307_o.jpg

3378471411_846f67e19e_o.jpg

I have some more atmospheric pics that I'm working on, too. I probably had more good ones but I processed the lazy way: only color/brightness/sharpness/saturation adjustments, no cropping.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member

Cool picture of Spencer, it looks like he's doing a Superman impersonation, which is fitting since he's wearing the t-shirt with the S7 Superman logo on it.

I loved watching all the little dudes rip it up. Iceman is no joke, Spencer and Shea both had some awesome runs, and 181's son is a little ripper! I watched his qualifying run from the top, he was zipperlinning like a madman!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Carrie, great shots, what camera, lens and settings? Please teach me how to shoot.
It's a Canon 10D that I purchased used (for around $200) with a Sigma 55-200mm lens I had from when I had a Canon 20D. I kept it in P mode (which allows you some manual adjustments, but will do most of it automatically for you) and left autofocus on since my eyesight sucks. :oops: I did over-ride where it focused for many of the shots instead of allowing it to choose (doesn't work well with action shots) but otherwise, as long as you shoot in RAW format (something that I believe is only available on DSLR cameras), it's pretty adjustable in post-processing. This batch worked well. Had the ISO set to 100 and it exposed the snow fairly well. Snow is tricky to work with in general, especially with high-contrast skiers coming down it. Just tried to position myself well to get good shots; sometimes I got great ones, other times I got crappy ones. Shooting quickly is not something I'm used to and I need to work on my composition skills. I used yesterday as a learning experience. There is a lot more I could have done manually (like set the white balance) but really, it worked fine the way I did it so why mess around, KWIM? If you have a decent camera, you can get great shots. I could have done all of those with my Point-and-Shoot NIKON POS and likely had no great pics. It was worth the investment (which was very small since the camera is likely 6 years old). It's in their prosumer line, somewhere between consumer (Rebel) and professional (1D, 5D).

Thanks! I would like to learn more but right now, I don't have the time. The more pics I take, the better I'll get, just like with skiing. ;)