• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

warm and wet through november

awf170

Joshua said:
Long range models have it staying warm and wet through November....sigh :cry:

personally i think this is good, every year that we had a good early season/nov the rest of the season has been horrible, look at how good 2003 started out in nov/dec, and how bad it turned out

sledhaulingmedic

'94-'95 season started off just this way. We got Hammahhhed! Hey. We can only hope!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Powderhound21 said:
Killington has a forecast high of 47 and a low of 28 next wednesday...With snow.
yea, we were also supposed to get snow this weekend. and we were suppose to have had like three first frosts by now. i am not holding my breath, long range patterns are usually pretty good at determining if there are any possiblity of snow in the future and everything i have read so far indicates not much activity until december and then we'll be set up well.

awf170

Joshua said:
http://www.weather.unisys.com/mrf/loop/mrf_500p_loop.html

very warm.....

well there already wrong, because the next week or so is going to be slightly below normal and there saying warm...

Joshua

i am optimistic for a cold November...

i think we are all just reminded of bad seasons that may have started out this way, especially the 01-02 which was the worst in recent memory

Joshua

the differnce between this and 95-96 is that in October of that year, it was already getting cold and there was a great snow pack developing in Northern Canada

Snow pack up there is thin right now which is my biggest concern

Powderhound21

Covington,VA (70 miles SE of Snowshoe,WV)
Website
winter.6.forumer.com
Joshua said:
the differnce between this and 95-96 is that in October of that year, it was already getting cold and there was a great snow pack developing in Northern Canada

True. But I tend to look at things like ocean temps, huricanes, and amount and intensity of systems rolling through the US. Our rains recently were from a tropical system. Yet it took on extratropical characteristics, and by its characteristics, it was a fairily intense subtropical system for so early in the season. Also, now is the time to look at jet stream patterns. As of now, there is a ridge over us and a trough in the west. This is the time of year that the jut stream will start to tell us what the weather will be like in say 10-20 days out. And, what is west, must come east.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Powderhound21 said:
Joshua said:

And, what is west, must come east.
I really like what is out west Today!!

Joshua

weather moves west to east, yes, but whatever is out west doesnt necessarily come east...we have strong ridging in the east right now, and a strong trough in the west, one would presume they will eventually flip flop but it doesnt mean the trough will stay in the east. This is what happened a few years ago, the ridge in the east just didnt break down, kept coming back. Same thing 94-95.

Powderhound21

Covington,VA (70 miles SE of Snowshoe,WV)
Website
winter.6.forumer.com
ALLSKIING said:
Powderhound21 said:
Joshua said:

And, what is west, must come east.
I really like what is out west Today!!

As do I :beer: