• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB shoe recommendations

Greg

Staff member
Nice way to kill two birds with one stone.

Yep. And uber cheap. If I decide I like platforms, I can always upgrade after this season. Not too concerned about fit. I use an old pair of ski boot orthotics in my MTB shoes which improve the fit of just about any shoe and takes up some volume for my narrow feet.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You guys make me laugh, though. Last year, you were all about clipless, so I jumped on that bandwagon. Now you're all about platforms. You're worse than women! ;)

Greg

Staff member
You guys make me laugh, though. Last year, you were all about clipless, so I jumped on that bandwagon. Now you're all about platforms. You're worse than women! ;)

Not all about platforms. Just curious. As you all know, I'm a wimp out there sometimes. I want to see if platforms give me extra courage to try some stuff. If not, I'll stick with the clipless which these shoes would let me do. Plus it would be nice to switch back and forth based on the expected type of ride, i.e. long Nass ride = clipless. Nepaug = flats.

o3jeff

Make sure you check and make sure you can get the clips off your old shoes, if not order a new pair with the shoes.

Greg

Staff member
Make sure you check and make sure you can get the clips off your old shoes, if not order a new pair with the shoes.

I've got an extra set of cleats lying around somewhere.

MR. evil

Not all about platforms. Just curious. As you all know, I'm a wimp out there sometimes. I want to see if platforms give me extra courage to try some stuff. If not, I'll stick with the clipless which these shoes would let me do. Plus it would be nice to switch back and forth based on the expected type of ride, i.e. long Nass ride = clipless. Nepaug = flats.

Even though I love the platforms, I do see myself usng the clipless when we do one of the longer 15 to 20 mile rides this season.

bvibert

Staff member

I'm not planning on switching any time soon. If anything clipless gives me an excuse to skip stunts when I'm feeling like a wuss, which is always. ;)

gmcunni

i think my first purchase of the MTB season will be shin guards. i like the freedom of platforms (read = scared of clipless) for the skill level i'm at but nothing sucks more than slipping off the platform and slashing your shin. :-(

At close 2nd is going down a fast rocky decent and losing grip on the pedals :-o

bvibert

Staff member
Okay, so if I go with that Sette/Wellgo combo, I'll probably want to grab shin guards. These seem like a good deal:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...ective-Gear/Sette-Impact-Knee/Shin-Guards.htm

Anyone have any thoughts on the nylon ones?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...ective-Gear/Sette-Strike-Knee/Shin-Guards.htm

I'd probably go with the second ones, but then again I don't know anything about them. They just look like they'd be lighter, more flexible, more comfortable to me. The other ones look like overkill if your main objective is just to prevent pedal shin bang.

gmcunni

I'd probably go with the second ones, but then again I don't know anything about them. They just look like they'd be lighter, more flexible, more comfortable to me. The other ones look like overkill if your main objective is just to prevent pedal shin bang.

i was thinking of picking up a cheap pair of used soccer shin guards at a place like "Play It Again Sports". very light and i i'm too worried about my knees at this point.

Greg

Staff member

They just seem like they would be too warm. At least the hard ones are ventilated, but I'd imagine there is still padding underneath.

i was thinking of picking up a cheap pair of used soccer shin guards at a place like "Play It Again Sports". very light and i i'm too worried about my knees at this point.

If I wasn't considering platforms, I was still going to get something for my knees. Too many times last year where I flew forward and crushed my knees on my bars. I need to preserve them for mogul skiing. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
The shoes I got are up on Tramdock right now

Tramdock? Really? Isn't it tough to pedal in these?

CBT.jpg

Jisch

If pads aren't comfortable you aren't going to wear them, then what good are they?

I have worn the Roach/RaceFace FR knee/shin pads for the last 2 years. I love them, they stay in place, have saved my knees more times than I can count and are not TOO hot, but realistically pads are going to be hotter than not wearing them - I don't wear them in the hottest weather. Unless its super hot I don't even notice that I am wearing them anymore.

I've heard good things about the newer Fox pads - my wife has a set of them and likes them, though she has to wear cut off socks underneath to prevent chafing.

I got the Roach pads at Pricepoint for $45 a few weeks ago - my old ones STINK, OMG I swear I am creating a new life form in my garage.

John

MRGisevil

One thing to consider is that riding platforms during a rocky technical ride will be much more difficult on a HT than a FS. A HT is going to get thrown around alot making it a hard to keep your feet on the pedal. I am not saying it can't be done as I have never tried it. Even with how much I love my platforms, if I was to take my HT out for a ride I would be using clipless. If you are going to use platforms I would suggest investing in some shin pads, taking one of these pedals to the shins hurts like a MoFo and will chew up your shin real good.

Blah, blah, blah, smear campaign. I do just fine on an HT.