• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB shoe recommendations

bvibert

Staff member
If pads aren't comfortable you aren't going to wear them, then what good are they?

I have worn the Roach/RaceFace FR knee/shin pads for the last 2 years. I love them, they stay in place, have saved my knees more times than I can count and are not TOO hot, but realistically pads are going to be hotter than not wearing them - I don't wear them in the hottest weather. Unless its super hot I don't even notice that I am wearing them anymore.

I've heard good things about the newer Fox pads - my wife has a set of them and likes them, though she has to wear cut off socks underneath to prevent chafing.

I got the Roach pads at Pricepoint for $45 a few weeks ago - my old ones STINK, OMG I swear I am creating a new life form in my garage.

John

Pricepoint has Roach shin/knee pads for $40 right now:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...-Protective-Gear/Roach-Rally-FR-Leg-Armor.htm

They're the same price as those Sette ones that you linked to Greg. I've heard recommendations for the Roach armour (aside from John), but nothing for the Sette stuff.

Greg

Staff member
Pricepoint has Roach shin/knee pads for $40 right now:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...-Protective-Gear/Roach-Rally-FR-Leg-Armor.htm

They're the same price as those Sette ones that you linked to Greg. I've heard recommendations for the Roach armour (aside from John), but nothing for the Sette stuff.

Nice. Thanks Brian. Good reviews on MTBR too, plus some of the weaknesses over there ("Straps not long enough for people with muscular legs") is actually a pro for me given my skinny chicken legs. :lol:

MR. evil

Nice. Thanks Brian. Good reviews on MTBR too, plus some of the weaknesses over there ("Straps not long enough for people with muscular legs") is actually a pro for me given my skinny chicken legs. :lol:

I have those same pads, except that are under the RaceFace brand. Pretty sure RaceFace bough Roach. Anyway, they are good pads and I like them alot. If I make the ride on Sunday I will bring them along so you can check them out. I am not sure what size I have, I think they are medium.

Greg

Staff member
I have those same pads, except that are under the RaceFace brand. Pretty sure RaceFace bough Roach. Anyway, they are good pads and I like them alot. If I make the ride on Sunday I will bring them along so you can check them out. I am not sure what size I have, I think they are medium.

I might actually own some by then... ;) Medium is what I'm getting. Now I just need to decide if I want to bust out platforms on day one. :-o

o3jeff

I might actually own some by then... ;) Medium is what I'm getting. Now I just need to decide if I want to bust out platforms on day one. :-o

Bad enough you copy mondeo on all the ski equipment, now your gonna copy Tim on bike stuff?;-):lol:

bvibert

Staff member

Yeah, but you probably won't have them in hand by then, unless you do 2nd day air... It'll give you a chance to see if the order you made was a mistake or not, just before it gets to you. ;)

Greg

Staff member
Yeah, but you probably won't have them in hand by then, unless you do 2nd day air... It'll give you a chance to see if the order you made was a mistake or not, just before it gets to you. ;)

2nd day is another 8 bucks for the size order I was looking at so I was planning on that.

bvibert

Staff member
2nd day is another 8 bucks for the size order I was looking at so I was planning on that.

Gotcha, when you're making an order that big, the quicker shipping isn't as big of a hit. I had a small order (<$20) that I wanted to do 2nd day on, but the shipping would have almost doubled the cost, so I added more stuff on to make it worth it. :beer:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Gotcha, when you're making an order that big, the quicker shipping isn't as big of a hit. I had a small order (<$20) that I wanted to do 2nd day on, but the shipping would have almost doubled the cost, so I added more stuff on to make it worth it. :beer:

Naturally. :roll:

Jisch

yep

Likewise.

John

Greg

Staff member
Here's an inexpensive combo at Pricepoint:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...es-w_-Wellgo-Wam-B25-Mountain-Flat-Pedals.htm

Pedal actually gets great reviews on MBTR and the shoe is SPD compatible so I can use them with the clipless. Thoughts?

Shoes and pedals came today. Pedals are slick. Lightweight and low profile. I went a size small on the shoes based on MTBR reviews indicating they run big. Pretty snug, but I'll leave some stretchers in there overnight and I should be good to go. I think they'll work pretty well with the platforms and they also will take my cleats too. Also got the Roach shin guards in a medium. They seem to fit perfectly.

bvibert

Staff member
Shoes and pedals came today. Pedals are slick. Lightweight and low profile. I went a size small on the shoes based on MTBR reviews indicating they run big. Pretty snug, but I'll leave some stretchers in there overnight and I should be good to go. I think they'll work pretty well with the platforms and they also will take my cleats too. Also got the Roach shin guards in a medium. They seem to fit perfectly.

Sweet! I was busy playing with new MTB gear last night too... :cool:

Greg

Staff member
Got a few rides in with the Sette shoes and they're just fine. Happy with the purchase. Definitely a fair price.