• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crazy Gadget Idea?

Jaytrek57

Ok...thought I'd run this by this board and see what people thought.

First, I'm a fairly experienced person (MO anyways) in the backcountry. I certainly still learn every time I'm out. Second, I believe experience; knowledge and learning from mistakes are hands down the best teachers.

Having prefaced all that...I will admit a closet hobby of mine is thinking of new equipment ideas, designs and such, that may prove useful or novel. Nothing too serious...and I actually do not consider myself a “gear junkie”…but again...it is a hobby of mine (hey...it beats golf!). Actually have a patent for one! (but as anyone can tell you…you can get a patent for just about anything)

Here's the idea. A signal balloon device for lost/injured people in the backcountry. (Were those moans and groans I just heard?)

The unit would be the size/shape of an Epi-Pen. The cartridge would contain helium and spooled around the unit would be 100-150 of cord (fishing line?). 3 “balloons” would be stored in the base (hollowed). A person is in trouble---lost---they could send 2-3 balloons up and tie it off and stay put. SAR would conceivably have a better chance of spotting them.

Drawbacks. Yeah I know there’s a bunch. Weather for one (whiteout/fog), strength of the line/balloon, misuse and malfunctions. Nighttime? Well maybe not so much….glow in the dark properties, tiny glowsticks…I think that could be addressed to a degree.

Any feedback? For instance…is there something similar already out there? Any feedback is welcomed but as stated above….I KNOW this fictional gadget does not replace, improve or is in any shape/manner something people should rely on in an emergency in the backcountry. Not looking to start a fiery debate on this….just some friendly thoughts.

Thanks.
Jay

MtnMagic

The wind immediately comes to mind. Also doesn't posting your concept give someone your idea to study.

Jaytrek57

Mt.Magic....

Yeah...wind. Thought of that after I posted. Could possibly be addressed again by the right materials/construction/design?

Just a hobby. If others study/design whatever...its cool. I'm not looking to quit my day job! I often drift into this area of thought during long car trips to/from trailheads.

Thanks..

MtnMagic

Yes, most definitely it can be corrected, re-designed and actually be a stellar windfall.
------------------------------
Keep those ideas coming!