• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Gear Purchases

wa-loaf

I jumped on the Hestra Army Leather Gore-Tex XCR Glove last night when it showed up on TD for $70

Nice, I really like the VFR's I got last year. Some of the stitching did come apart on one of the fingers, but I just sewed it back up myself.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Nice, I really like the VFR's I got last year. Some of the stitching did come apart on one of the fingers, but I just sewed it back up myself.
I've been on a glove quest for about 3 years now...haven't really found one I like that holds up to a lot of abuse. I've read good things about Hestra's and never tried them so it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Mildcat

I could use a new helmet (Black G10 Med if anyone finds a good deal). My boot-dryer died, so I need a new one of those also. Gloves too

Tramdock has those on sale frequently. If I recall correctly I think they get $54 for them.

Mildcat

Picked up some used Watea 84's from Gear Trade. http://www.geartrade.com/item/84466
Bought a pair of Oakley Crow Bar goggles with the H.I. Yellow lens from Tramdock. I wanted goggles that would be good in flat light.
Next thing to buy will be bindings for the Wateas, thinking next time Tramdock has the PX12 Lifters on there I might jump on those.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Tramdock has those on sale frequently. If I recall correctly I think they get $54 for them.
Thanks Mildcat. I've been watching. The last time it was up was 4 days ago, and only in a few colors (no black).

BC outlet hasn't had any black med. in inv either. Today, while enjoying my morning coffee
, it lists 1 matte black med.

Used the tramattack 40% off link and got my new g10 for $78 with FS.

I'm happy with that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks Mildcat. I've been watching. The last time it was up was 4 days ago, and only in a few colors (no black).

BC outlet hasn't had any black med. in inv either. Today, while enjoying my morning coffee

I'm happy with that.

What is this tramattack link you speak of and where is it for, tramdock?

Mildcat

I'm happy with that.

That's still a really great deal, I think I paid about $110 for mine about two years ago.

What is this tramattack link you speak of and where is it for, tramdock?

http://tram.gearattack.com/

Scroll down to the items you missed and it has a link under each item. Also, If you click on the tab in the upper right hand corner that says "items" it'll show you all of the stuff you missed and you can get the 40% off if they're still in stock.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's still a really great deal, I think I paid about $110 for mine about two years ago.

http://tram.gearattack.com/

Scroll down to the items you missed and it has a link under each item. Also, If you click on the tab in the upper right hand corner that says "items" it'll show you all of the stuff you missed and you can get the 40% off if they're still in stock.

Man, I shouldn't have asked that question. Pandora's Freakin Box!

deadheadskier

Staff member
well, I didn't fall victim to the gear attack

though I came AWFULLY close on a pair of skis (want) I'm eying :???:

,but I did pull the trigger on a cold weather jacket (need)

in black :lol:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/COL1555/Columbia-Carabiner-Mountain-Parka-Mens.html

mods, can you delete this thread please? Actually why you're at it, get rid of the whole damn gear forum. I'm supposed to be getting married in September and the temptations that lie within this forum could prevent that from happening.

kthnxbai

deadheadskier

Staff member
Outside of another set of under armor and maybe some socks, I'll pretty much be holding steady this year. I might get a new jacket, but mine still works just fine.

So um yeah

I still haven't bought any socks or under armor, but as noted last night, my jacket went downhill fast in the past four weeks, so I had to replace it.

Jacket.jpg

I also mentioned that I resisted the temptation of the geartrack discount on some 4FRNT skis I was eying. It was financial responsibility at it's finest as on Tramdock they were going for $309 and trough geartrack they were $375.

...but remember how I asked last fall about simple hand tools for in between tune up edge maintenance? Well, low and behold, but look what showed up on Tramdock today

edge_tool.jpeg

After I confirmed this purchase, I got to thinking, 'ya know, my skis all have at least 25 days on each of the three pairs; including well over 150 on my powder boards'. Am I really going to be able to tell how effective this tool is on older edges? So, pandora's box / geartracks pulled me into it's family ruining vortex and I was checking out the 4FRNT MSP's that were up for $309 last week. At that time, I had used strong restraint when they were up; even went so far as to brag to my fiance when she got out of the shower, 'Guess what honey, there was an AMAZING deal on skis I REALLY want on Tramdock, but I didn't buy them; aren't you proud of me?'

So, I look at the 4FRNT's and think to myself, Ryan, you'll look like a total ass if the skis you said you wouldn't buy show up at the house and she finds out you paid $80 more than what you were bragging about not paying last weekend.

I walked away determined to put the thought behind me and go and cook us dinner, but took one last peak on Tramdock. High Society FR skis; what are these? Hmmm, 14 reviews, every one of them 5 stars, sounds like a decent ski. What are they about? Oh pretty similar dimensions to the MSP, but a touch wider at the ends with a slightly smaller turn radius and a couple cms shorter. Did some quick research and didn't find a negative thing said about them. $249

SOLD

Skis5.jpg

Gonna mount them with an AT binding. First thought is either a Duke or a Baron, but perhaps there are other more obscure bindings better purposed for what I want out of them at a better price.

With all that, you'd think they'd throw in a free t-shirt. They don't, so I bought one :lol:

T_Shirt.jpg

I've got issues :oops:

:lol:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cha-ching!

for sure

but under $475 total for everything

except now I have to buy bindings and what I want will cost at least another $200, probably $250.

and I still haven't bought socks or under armor. ;)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
...but remember how I asked last fall about simple hand tools for in between tune up edge maintenance? Well, low and behold, but look what showed up on Tramdock today

edge_tool.jpeg

I've got issues :oops:

Yeah....seek a professional....I'd suggest a professional bartender :beer:

Let me know what you think of that edge tool. I've seen that up on TD a few times but haven't clicked on it yet.

Congrats on the rest of the purchases.

Grassi21

for sure

but under $475 total for everything

except now I have to buy bindings and what I want will cost at least another $200, probably $250.

and I still haven't bought socks or under armor. ;)

if you are going the duke or baron route it might be tough to find them at that price.