• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Gear Purchases

wa-loaf

So um yeah

I still haven't bought any socks or under armor, but as noted last night, my jacket went downhill fast in the past four weeks, so I had to replace it.

Jacket.jpg

I also mentioned that I resisted the temptation of the geartrack discount on some 4FRNT skis I was eying. It was financial responsibility at it's finest as on Tramdock they were going for $309 and trough geartrack they were $375.

...but remember how I asked last fall about simple hand tools for in between tune up edge maintenance? Well, low and behold, but look what showed up on Tramdock today

edge_tool.jpeg

After I confirmed this purchase, I got to thinking, 'ya know, my skis all have at least 25 days on each of the three pairs; including well over 150 on my powder boards'. Am I really going to be able to tell how effective this tool is on older edges? So, pandora's box / geartracks pulled me into it's family ruining vortex and I was checking out the 4FRNT MSP's that were up for $309 last week. At that time, I had used strong restraint when they were up; even went so far as to brag to my fiance when she got out of the shower, 'Guess what honey, there was an AMAZING deal on skis I REALLY want on Tramdock, but I didn't buy them; aren't you proud of me?'

So, I look at the 4FRNT's and think to myself, Ryan, you'll look like a total ass if the skis you said you wouldn't buy show up at the house and she finds out you paid $80 more than what you were bragging about not paying last weekend.

I walked away determined to put the thought behind me and go and cook us dinner, but took one last peak on Tramdock. High Society FR skis; what are these? Hmmm, 14 reviews, every one of them 5 stars, sounds like a decent ski. What are they about? Oh pretty similar dimensions to the MSP, but a touch wider at the ends with a slightly smaller turn radius and a couple cms shorter. Did some quick research and didn't find a negative thing said about them. $249

SOLD

Skis5.jpg

Gonna mount them with an AT binding. First thought is either a Duke or a Baron, but perhaps there are other more obscure bindings better purposed for what I want out of them at a better price.

With all that, you'd think they'd throw in a free t-shirt. They don't, so I bought one :lol:

T_Shirt.jpg

I've got issues :oops:

:lol:

It's OK you just knock a couple guests off the wedding list ...

deadheadskier

Staff member
$250's plenty doable for Barons.

$267 with tax through REI, sold.

Most places online are permanently out of stock of last years model, so if anyone else is interested in Baron's I suggest you hop to it; otherwise you'll be paying a lot more for the 09-10 model.

Mildcat

UPS just brought me a package. Bought some Watea 84's from Gear Trade. http://www.geartrade.com/item/84466
They're used but they look brand new. If it wasn't for the mounting holes I would have thought they were new. $235.79 after shipping, great deal.

Now I need to buy some bindings. I'm not sure if I want a lifter binding or a Free ride binding. I'm leaning towards the free ride bindings for lighter weight and better flex. I missed some Marker M11 Free's on Tramdock the other day for $81 but I saw some on REI for $89.

wa-loaf

UPS just brought me a package. Bought some Watea 84's from Gear Trade. http://www.geartrade.com/item/84466
They're used but they look brand new. If it wasn't for the mounting holes I would have thought they were new. $235.79 after shipping, great deal.

Now I need to buy some bindings. I'm not sure if I want a lifter binding or a Free ride binding. I'm leaning towards the free ride bindings for lighter weight and better flex. I missed some Marker M11 Free's on Tramdock the other day for $81 but I saw some on REI for $89.

Nice. 167 is kinda short though. But i don't know how big you are ...

My Dukes should arrive tomorrow. They are currently sitting in UPS purgatory in Shrewsbury. LOl

Grassi21

My Dukes should arrive tomorrow. They are currently sitting in UPS purgatory in Shrewsbury. LOl

ahhh shrewsbury. i often see that in my ups tracking addiction.

the watea is a hot choice again this season. can't wait to give them a go.

Mildcat

I was looking for something a little shorter then I stumbled upon these. I was holding them up against my k2 crossfires which are also 167's and the k2's are a couple cm's longer.
I should've offered the UPS guy $50 to "accidentally" deliver your Dukes to my house. :idea:

wa-loaf

I should've offered the UPS guy $50 to "accidentally" deliver your Dukes to my house. :idea:

Still sitting there. They go there at noon yesterday. You'd think they could have gotten them on a truck to Leominster by now! But no, god forbid they make it a day earlier than the ship date ... :angry:

deadheadskier

Staff member
What am I? Chopped F'N liver? Not ONLY did I post a picture of the EXACT same bindings as waloaf that also received today. Not only was my photo posted prior to his duke portfolio, but My Dukes were on my NEW SKIS!!! :lol:

Give a shout out dammit!! :lol:

Hawkshot99

What am I? Chopped F'N liver? Not ONLY did I post a picture of the EXACT same bindings as waloaf that also received today. Not only was my photo posted prior to his duke portfolio, but My Dukes were on my NEW SKIS!!! :lol:

Wow you guys need to calm down. Those bindings were so last year!:spread:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

LOL DHS!

maintop.gif

More close ups next time!!! I'll pass you a beer cause you did post em' up first!
beer.gif

deadheadskier

Staff member
LOL DHS!

maintop.gif

More close ups next time!!! I'll pass you a beer cause you did post em' up first!
beer.gif

thank you

I thought I was going to have take a picture of me, with the jacket on and the T shirt and the new edge tool as well. :lol:

no, don't ask :lol:

wa-loaf

Sorry man didn't mean to mess with your game. :oops:

I'm surprised you have them mounted up already. Sweet!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sorry man didn't mean to mess with your game. :oops:

I'm surprised you have them mounted up already. Sweet!

ain't mounted

busted me there :lol:

It was literally ten minutes after I got home from the UPS warehouse that I had them both out of the box and on the floor 'set up' with me taking a picture and dreaming.

Since then all night I've been giving affectionate glances across my office towards my skis like a new lover at a dinner party that you can't wait to play with later on :lol:

(((((new gear)))))

wa-loaf

ain't mounted

busted me there :lol:

It was literally ten minutes after I got home from the UPS warehouse that I had them both out of the box and on the floor 'set up' with me taking a picture and dreaming.

Since then all night I've been giving affectionate glances across my office towards my skis like a new lover at a dinner party that you can't wait to play with later on :lol:

(((((new gear)))))

LOL,I would have done the same thing except my Watea have already been moved to the new house so I can't pair them up for a few days. I'll be sure to take pics and share when i do! :lol: :beer: