• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deadliest Catch

Glenn

The fishermen and the US Coast Guard who work there just blow my mind.

No matter what the weather conditions are the USCG goes out to rescue.

Sad to see someone die, at least the body was recovered

x2!

7 hour flight to the site of the beacon...then they have to search the area...and the swimmer has to go into the water. Not to mention the huricane they flew through to get there. God bless those guys.

o3jeff

can someone summarize what happened? Which boat did the fisherman fall off of?

Wasn't any of the ones on the show, was a cod fishing boat(i think that was what they said) that was about 900 mile away. More to show that the dangers exist and what extent the CG goes thru.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
x2!

7 hour flight to the site of the beacon...then they have to search the area...and the swimmer has to go into the water. Not to mention the huricane they flew through to get there. God bless those guys.
Unreal. 7 hours back to base with a dead body in the chopper, back through the hurricane..

drjeff

Unreal. 7 hours back to base with a dead body in the chopper, back through the hurricane..

Just remember, the rescue attempt is on going and will continue in next weeks episode as there's still something like 10 people missing - and I'm doing my best to resist googling the event to see what ultimately happens

wa-loaf

oh cool! Did that actually occur on the show?

If they did it, they didn't show it. But they are basically Blackhawks outfitted for rescue work and I see the National Guard practicing refueling with the Blackhawks over my house once in a while.

SkiDork

If they did it, they didn't show it. But they are basically Blackhawks outfitted for rescue work and I see the National Guard practicing refueling with the Blackhawks over my house once in a while.

too bad. That woulda been sweet to show it.

Glenn

I don't know exactly what the range for those choppers are, but they can refuel in the air from one of those C-130 tankers.

I think they sent out a C-130 with the chopper. Not sure if it was a refueling plane though.

mondeo

So far as I know, only MH-60 Pave Hawks can refuel in-flight; they're Black Hawks modified for combat search and rescue for the Air Force. You can tell them apart by the retractable refueling probe.

wa-loaf

I'd say Mondeo is correct about them refueling on the CC Cutter:

The H-60 can not perform water landings, as the H-3 was capable of. However, with its twin T700-GE-401C engines, the Jayhawk can fly 300 miles offshore, remain on scene 45 minutes, hoist six people on board, and return to its point of origin with a safe fuel reserve. Normal cruising speeds of 135-140 knots can be increased to a "dash" speed of 180 knots when necessary. The H-60 will fly comfortably at 140 knots for 6-7 hours.

Though normally stationed ashore, the Jayhawk can be carried aboard 270-foot WMEC and 378-foot WHEC Coast Guard Cutters. These cutters are capable of refueling and supporting the helicopter for the duration of a cutter patrol. They assist in the missions of search and rescue, enforcement of laws and treaties including drug interdiction, marine environmental protection, and military readiness.

SkiDork

so I'm guessing the cutters are kinda just stationed out there on a permanent basis waiting to refuel rescue choppers?

drjeff

Kind of guessing with that storm raging and the seas that it was kicking up, that if they did a cutter based refuel that the landing must have been fun :eek: May very well though been a ground based refuel at some of the outer Aleution Island bases, or else I'm guessing that they would have had those camera's rolling during the refuel

mondeo

Kind of guessing with that storm raging and the seas that it was kicking up, that if they did a cutter based refuel that the landing must have been fun :eek: May very well though been a ground based refuel at some of the outer Aleution Island bases, or else I'm guessing that they would have had those camera's rolling during the refuel
I think they can do a hovering refuel, avoiding the landing. Would still be pretty hairy, I'd guess.

mlctvt

I love the show too. Tivo it every week.

A guy who works for me used to be in the Coast Guard and He was stationed in Alaska. The stories he tells are incredible. He wasn't a rescue swimmer though he said those guys are the top of the class. The Coast guard equal to a Navy Seal or Army ranger.
He said most of the time the were chasing Japanese fishing boats who were disregarding our fishing laws.