• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deadliest Catch

o3jeff

It's over, the Deadliest Catch season is too short. It was a good one last night, that was a huge wave that hit the Wizard right after Kieth brought his crew inside.

The did run a commercial last night for sail fishing or something like that starting soon. I also saw a commercial the other night for another fishing type show I think on the animal planet

wa-loaf

The did run a commercial last night for sail fishing or something like that starting soon. I also saw a commercial the other night for another fishing type show I think on the animal planet

Sword fish and it looked like it was in the Northeast.

I've caught River Monsters a few times. That's pretty cool. Did you know there were sharks in the Mississippi?

drjeff

Sword fish and it looked like it was in the Northeast.

I've caught River Monsters a few times. That's pretty cool. Did you know there were sharks in the Mississippi?

That new one, Swords, looks like it has potential. Alot of the swordfishing fleet is out of the Southeastern Mass/ Rhode Island

Glenn

I think they're throwing other fishing shows at the wall and seeing what sticks. A few years ago, they tried doing a Deadliest Catch with lobstuhs. I think they only ran about 4 episodes.

The logging shows seem to be working nicely though.

drjeff

I think they're throwing other fishing shows at the wall and seeing what sticks. A few years ago, they tried doing a Deadliest Catch with lobstuhs. I think they only ran about 4 episodes.

The logging shows seem to be working nicely though.

I think that the biggest problem with the other commercial fishing show vs. The Deadliest Catch is the fact that the other shows to date just can't compete with the weather that the Berring Sea throws at the crab boats on a much more regular basis than you saw in Lobster Wars and likely in Swords too. Since seeing a 40 foot wave crash over a crab boat when it's blowing 50+ knots and it's below zero outside definately add to the show IMHO.

As for the more general logging show success. IMHO, it's all about the really cool heavy equipment that they use! Total testosterone rush there!

Glenn

The machinery in the logging shows delivers...be it in the Pacific Northwest, the swamp, Maine or Canada. With the exception of that hack who logs the river on "AxMen".

drjeff

The machinery in the logging shows delivers...be it in the Pacific Northwest, the swamp, Maine or Canada. With the exception of that hack who logs the river on "AxMen".

Yup, but 'ya gotta watch the hack aqua-logger if for no other reason than him + his son and their operation is a train wreck just waiting to happen! ;)

powhunter

Yup, but 'ya gotta watch the hack aqua-logger if for no other reason than him + his son and their operation is a train wreck just waiting to happen! ;)

Yea those dudes are a trip...They were going down the river in their boat and the old man yells out "watch out for that deadhead" I was expecting some freak in tye dye but I guess thats slang for a log wedged in the mud

steveo

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Heli Loggers was by far the superior show. Those guys knew what they were doing. Ax Men was way overdramatized. Deadliest Catch might be too, but at least it's hidden better. Thom Beers should've gotten Mike Rowe to narrate Ax Men and Ice Road Truckers too. Thom Beers' voice irritates me.

Swamp Loggers is pretty good. Ice Loggers is boring. Pulp wood logging is just monotany. Feller buncher throwing down small trees that get skidded and chipped. There's only so much of that one can watch.

But Heli Loggers, man what a show. Ax Men would've been 100 times better if they didn't manufacture all the drama, and spent more time with the fallers. It was almost all about the fallers in Heli Loggers. Watching those guys climb and top trees, and the fall or jig them; great stuff.

downhill04

I was close.

The other show on Animal Planet I was thinking of is Whale Wars on Friday nights.

I love the deadliest catch! Because I am so hooked on it, I decided to give whale wars a chance. OMG it is like the blind leading the freaking blind on that boat. I think what they are doing is very noble but the captain and his leadership crew have zero clue when it comes to running a boat. I watch every week and it seems like they get dumber and dumber every episode.

drjeff

I love the deadliest catch! Because I am so hooked on it, I decided to give whale wars a chance. OMG it is like the blind leading the freaking blind on that boat. I think what they are doing is very noble but the captain and his leadership crew have zero clue when it comes to running a boat. I watch every week and it seems like they get dumber and dumber every episode.

Very similiar in a sense to why I like watching the "aqua loggers" segments on Axemen. It's not a question of "if" but "when" the trainwreck will happen!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
It also amazes me that the Captain on WW has zero leadership ability.

Glenn

I've never seen Whale Watchers...just the preview. I think the captain of the boat should just stand on the bow. That is one ugly dude...I'm sure he'd scare away any ship within 1/2 a mile.

S&S Aqualogging. LMAO! In the final episode, when the trailer unhooked from that beat up 4Runner and skidded down the boat ramp. The poor son probably needed a change of pants after that trailer ride. It's one thing to try to save a buck, but that guy really is a hack. The shitty stuff he uses is totally unsafe. It's only a matter of time before someone is injured. I mean, skimping on trailer safety chains? You can buy those at friggin Wal-Mart for under $20.

I like Ice Loggers because there's a lot of snow. But I agree about pulp logging. Plus, to me, shredding a perfectly good tree makes no sense. I often find myself thinking. "Do you know how much firewood you just shredded?" But hey, we all need paper.

Hawkshot99

S&S Aqualogging. LMAO! In the final episode, when the trailer unhooked from that beat up 4Runner and skidded down the boat ramp. The poor son probably needed a change of pants after that trailer ride. It's one thing to try to save a buck, but that guy really is a hack. The shitty stuff he uses is totally unsafe. It's only a matter of time before someone is injured. I mean, skimping on trailer safety chains? You can buy those at friggin Wal-Mart for under $20.

That guy was busted for not getting the permits to be out pulling those logs.

ERJ-145CA

That new one, Swords, looks like it has potential. Alot of the swordfishing fleet is out of the Southeastern Mass/ Rhode Island

I was watching this tonight and they showed a ship based at Barnegat Light, NJ. I was just there, it's on Long Beach Island where I just spent my summer beach vacation. My son and I climbed the lighthouse "Ol' Barney" in Barnegat Light. The show made me want to go back until ski season starts. If I could I think I'd live on LBI from mid May through October.

Last edited: