• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Honda CRV v. Toyota Rav4 v. Subaru Forester

mlctvt

Subi has a diesel, just not here yet.

http://www.boxerdiesel.com/

Yeh, stupid Subaru of America turned down Subaru's offer to try to market this car here. Apparently SOA said a manual transmission diesel wouldn't sell well here. Funny I personally know several people who would buy a Legacy Wagon 6MT diesel if offered.

wa-loaf

Yeh, stupid Subaru of America turned down Subaru's offer to try to market this car here. Apparently SOA said a manual transmission diesel wouldn't sell well here. Funny I personally know several people who would buy a Legacy Wagon 6MT diesel if offered.

Put me on that list.

campgottagopee

I hope it is still coming, but I am hearing now that it might not be. Shame, it was at the top of my list to get when I am replacing my current Forester.

Resale also comes into play when a car is in an accident/totalled or stolen. I agree they still aren't there yet and have taken massive strides to improve. How a few people take care of cars has nothing to do with the global resale value, poor initial quality and huge incentives have to do with resale value.

If you want better resale, don't flood the market, don't use huge rebates and incentives and hold prices. Don't be surprised when there is a $2,000 rebate on a car and 0%financing and the car doesn't retain its value. a $25,000 car that you buy for $20,000 is not a $25,000 car, the $25K is artificially inflated and unrealistic. In this case everyone of that $25K car is used, is now worth $7,000 less. because of the incentives on the new ones.

Spot on!!!!

campgottagopee

That's news to me----where did you get that info??

wa-loaf

So what kind of shoes should i get my girlfriend for her birthday? Another girlfriend told me jimmy choo or channel? What do you guys think? I can tell you guys are better at these kinds of things then me.

Get her some hiking boots. :smash:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'm usually driving my Tacoma but I occationally drive the '09 Forester my wife and I bought last Fall. It ran very well this winter. My wife was able to get out of the driveway after 16 inches of snow fell overnight without snow tires. That said, I'm going to slap some snow tires on it next year to make it a beast in the snow. No mechanical issues at this time. The power is pretty good as it can maintain 70mph without downshifting on most hills along I-91 here in northern VT. The large sunroof lets in a lot of natural light and it feels like your in a convertable without the wind noise.
I test drove a RAV4 as well but though the cockpit was overly complicated with gadgets that would just collect dust. The ride was comparable but the Subie was cheaper and I wouldn't have to drive an hour to a dealership for servicing like I do with my truck.

mlctvt

That's news to me----where did you get that info??

This pertained to the present Legacy boxer diesel introduced last year in Europe. The engine is currently only available with the manual transmission. Rumour has it that this was offered to SAO but they were't interested until an auto version was also offered. Kinda mute anyway since the wagon is the biggest seller in Europe and SOA abandoned the Legacy wagon in the US ( 2007 was the last year.) But they still could have offered it in the Outback, Forester or Legacy sedan since those are still offered as manuals in the US.
My guess is they will offer a clean diesel sometime in the future.

I get most of my Subaru info from www.legacygt.com or www.nasioc.com forums

campgottagopee

This pertained to the present Legacy boxer diesel introduced last year in Europe. The engine is currently only available with the manual transmission. Rumour has it that this was offered to SAO but they were't interested until an auto version was also offered. Kinda mute anyway since the wagon is the biggest seller in Europe and SOA abandoned the Legacy wagon in the US ( 2007 was the last year.) But they still could have offered it in the Outback, Forester or Legacy sedan since those are still offered as manuals in the US.
My guess is they will offer a clean diesel sometime in the future.

I get most of my Subaru info from www.legacygt.com or www.nasioc.com forums

Okay, I now agree with you---Subie was trying to bring diesel to the U.S. this model year but from their research they are going to hold off for a couple more years. What they have found is "we" Americans prefer battery power over diesle but Subie is still in favor of the diesle.

mlctvt

Okay, I now agree with you---Subie was trying to bring diesel to the U.S. this model year but from their research they are going to hold off for a couple more years. What they have found is "we" Americans prefer battery power over diesle but Subie is still in favor of the diesle.

yah- look at this

http://jalopnik.com/5045843/subaru-...er-diesel-bringing-37-mpg-to-paris-motor-show

37MPG in the current Forrester!! I'd prefer a Legacy or Outback but this is great.

My friend sells VWs and he says they have lots of Jetta diesel sedans in stock at great prices. Not many wagons though. He said the cost of diesel over gas is a problem for many people right now.

campgottagopee

yah- look at this

http://jalopnik.com/5045843/subaru-...er-diesel-bringing-37-mpg-to-paris-motor-show

37MPG in the current Forrester!! I'd prefer a Legacy or Outback but this is great.

My friend sells VWs and he says they have lots of Jetta diesel sedans in stock at great prices. Not many wagons though. He said the cost of diesel over gas is a problem for many people right now.

Nice link, thanks.

Hear ya, I'd love a Outback with a turbo diesel--what a great car

wa-loaf

Anyone know why this is? I thought the cost to produce diesel was cheaper than unleaded gas.

Diesel in the last year shifted to a cleaner version with low sulfur, so the refining costs have gone up. The good news is that it is up to snuff with the diesel they've had in Europe for a while, making it easier to bring their diesels here.

wa-loaf

One thing that is annoying me about my Outback is that the heat shield seems to be made up of a lot of little pieces and they are starting to come loose. I get one fixed to stop the rattle and another starts up. :smash:

ComeBackMudPuddles

Not to hijack, but, might the new 2010 GMC Terrain be worth considering?? Looks good, IMHO....Maybe a little too brash.

GMC EXPANDS ITS ENGINEERING EXPERTISE WITH THE EFFICIENT AND CAPABLE 2010 TERRAIN

* All-new, five-passenger crossover SUV delivers expected segment-best highway fuel economy of 30 mpg
* Comprehensive package of premium features, with an emphasis on vehicle safety and passenger comfort
* GMC's engineering excellence and innovation advances with direct injection technology, programmable power liftgate and standard rear vision camera

NEW YORK –GMC's all-new 2010 Terrain makes its world debut at the 2009 New York International Auto Show. The Terrain is a five-passenger crossover SUV that blends bold styling with fuel efficiency and premium features.

"The new Terrain brings GMC's history of innovation and engineering excellence into a smaller, fuel-efficient package for today's buyer," said Susan Docherty, Buick-Pontiac-GMC vice president. "The capability attributes that make a vehicle a GMC are ingrained in Terrain, making it an appealing choice for existing traditional SUV customers who are looking for distinctive styling and increased efficiency."

A new, 2.4L four-cylinder engine that features direct injection is expected to deliver best-in-segment highway fuel economy of 30 mpg. Maximum fuel economy is achieved in part with an "ECO" mode that is activated via a console-mounted button. When engaged, it lowers the torque converter lockup speed to 1,125 rpm to help save fuel on models equipped with the 2.4L engine.

Also available will be a 3.0L DOHC direct injected V-6 engine delivering an estimated 264 horsepower (197 kW). Both engines are mated to efficiency-enhancing six-speed automatic transmissions and offer a refined, confident driving experience.

"GMC is a strong, core brand for GM and the Terrain crossover SUV is the latest example of how we're adapting to changing market conditions," said Docherty. "As we first demonstrated with the Acadia crossover, GMC is committed to offering the capable vehicles customers seek, with the personal technologies they expect."

The 2010 Terrain goes on sale in late summer, with front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive models offered in SLE and SLT trim levels. A comprehensive list of standard and available features includes purposeful technologies such as:

* Standard rear vision camera
* Programmable power rear liftgate
* Bluetooth hands-free phone capability
* MultiFlex sliding rear seat that increases passenger comfort or provides optimal cargo space
* Remote vehicle start
* USB audio connectivity; MP3 playback
* Seven-inch touch-screen navigation system and a 40-gigabyte hard drive
* DVD-based rear-seat entertainment system with two independent screens
* Standard OnStar and XM Satellite Radio

Segment-best safety is anticipated, with features that include four-wheel disc brakes with StabiliTrak electronic stability control and traction control, as well as six standard air bags: dual frontal air bags; head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags. OnStar with one-year Safe and Sound service is also standard.

Bold styling

Terrain has a balanced, athletic stance and offers a commanding view of the road. Its design is characterized by bold, muscular fender flares, representing GMC's aesthetic. Surfacing is angular yet refined, with a strong and capable front-end appearance that features precise, squared-off edges.

"We wanted to carve the GMC Terrain away from the pack and establish its identity as a powerful, fresh crossover SUV with a confident and strong stance," said John Cafaro Jr., director of exterior design, Global Crossover Vehicles. "Everything about the Terrain communicates a sense of tailored toughness and passionate craftsmanship."

Additional design features include a unique, three-element grille that is accented by a prominent chrome surround and projector-beam headlamps mounted in large, rectangular housings with chrome accents.

Interior details and flexibility

The Terrain's rich, premium interior is influenced by industrial sculpture and exudes refinement exemplified by contrast stitching and fine materials that create a structured look throughout the cabin. A "floating" center stack, highlighted by warm ambient lighting, houses a multitude of ergonomic comfort and convenience controls.

The Terrain also features great attention to detail, with smart use of storage space and compartments that are suitable for a variety of items. They include an oversized glove box; a closed storage area in the instrument panel above the center stack; a closed storage compartment under the center armrest large enough for a laptop computer; and two-tier storage in the doors.

Terrain's seats were developed to provide outstanding comfort and the standard MultiFlex sliding rear seat can be moved fore or aft nearly eight inches (200 mm), providing increased passenger comfort or greater rear cargo capacity. The 60/40-split rear seatback offers additional configurations for passengers and cargo; and the rear cargo area offers 31.6 cubic feet (894 liters) of storage, as well as one of the Terrain's four auxiliary power outlets.

Confident and agile driving experience

Two new engines are offered on all Terrain models, each with fuel-saving direct injection and variable valve timing technology. Vehicle highlights include:

* New 3.0L DOHC direct injected V-6 engine estimated at 264 horsepower (197 kW), which delivers an estimated 25 mpg highway, 18 mpg city (EPA certification pending).
* New 2.4L Ecotec direct injected I-4 engine estimated at 182 horsepower (136 kW) that delivers an estimated 30 mpg highway, 21 mpg city (EPA certification pending)
* Driving range of more than 500 miles (800 km) with both engines, for less-frequent fill-ups

The powertrains are mounted on a rigid, body-integral structure, with single-piece body side stampings and targeted applications of high-strength steel. It is the foundation of a confident driving experience that is both smooth and responsive.

GM's first application of Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) technology is used on 2.4L-equipped models. ANC uses microphones to detect booming sounds inside the vehicle and sends counteracting sound waves through the audio system's speakers, ensuring a quiet driving experience at almost all vehicle speeds.

The Terrain rides on a 112.5-inch (2,857 mm) wheelbase and features a four-wheel independent suspension system, with wide front and rear tracks that enhance the ride and handling. A family of 17-inch, 18-inch aluminum and 19-inch chrome-clad wheels is available.

Terrain's rack-mounted electric power steering system provides greater fuel efficiency on four-cylinder-equipped models, saving nearly 11 miles per tank of gas.

GMC Terrain will be produced at the CAMI assembly facility in Ingersoll, Ontario.

2010-gmc-terrain-02.jpg

06-2010-gm-terrain.jpg

bigbog

...if your wife will be using FT?...

Skip,
Was going to put $.01 in for RAV4...have seen a few with mods(fender-work/spacing for larger tires = more clearance...etc)...but if your wife will be using...PT/FT?...she's probably more into staying on the pavement..;-) Fwiw..I haven't read of any real negatives towards any of em'....

$.01
STeveD

Last edited:

hammer

One thing that is annoying me about my Outback is that the heat shield seems to be made up of a lot of little pieces and they are starting to come loose. I get one fixed to stop the rattle and another starts up. :smash:
I had the dealer's shop work on the heat shield on my Outback several times before they finally welded something and fixed it once and for all...guess it's one of those design features...

campgottagopee

Just yank the darn thing off of there