• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Honda CRV v. Toyota Rav4 v. Subaru Forester

Bought a 2010 Forester yesterday, X premium trim. It's a sweet ride and Subaru is offering 2.9% financing now.

I consider myself to be a super careful shopper but I missed something when I purchased this. I've had a Sirius subscription for 5 years now and, because the radios are listed as "satellite ready" and they have the appropriate buttons on the stereo console, that it would be as easy as calling Sirius and switching my account to this new radio. Wrong. They have to install the hardware behind the radio first. They charge between $500-600 for this, maiking this easily one of the most expensive satellite radio setups around. Big detail. I checked with Best Buy for a way around this without replacing the deck. No dice. If I replace the deck I risk losing use of the steering wheel audio controls and the aux jack between the seats. This kind of bums me out but my fault for not checking on this deeper.

To end this on a positive note, the car seems super solid and I can't wait to drive it in some snow.

quite possibly the worst thing about owning a subaru is the inflexibility of the audio system...that's pretty much my only complaint so far in driving subys for the past 8 years now

campgottagopee

Bought a 2010 Forester yesterday, X premium trim. It's a sweet ride and Subaru is offering 2.9% financing now.

I consider myself to be a super careful shopper but I missed something when I purchased this. I've had a Sirius subscription for 5 years now and, because the radios are listed as "satellite ready" and they have the appropriate buttons on the stereo console, that it would be as easy as calling Sirius and switching my account to this new radio. Wrong. They have to install the hardware behind the radio first. They charge between $500-600 for this, maiking this easily one of the most expensive satellite radio setups around. Big detail. I checked with Best Buy for a way around this without replacing the deck. No dice. If I replace the deck I risk losing use of the steering wheel audio controls and the aux jack between the seats. This kind of bums me out but my fault for not checking on this deeper.

To end this on a positive note, the car seems super solid and I can't wait to drive it in some snow.

That seems a bit high---I would think you could get it done by a dealer closer to 450

Glenn

Toss in an aftermarket radio? I don't know how much the Subi stuff is integrated into the car though.

hammer

What does it mean to be "satellite ready"? With my 2009 Volvo, it was (and is) a matter of just activating the subscription...

campgottagopee

Toss in an aftermarket radio? I don't know how much the Subi stuff is integrated into the car though.

Meh, IMO, aftermarket never looks as good as factory and you would not have the same warrnaty coverage---spend the $$$ and get it done from the factory/dealer----much better off in the long run.

Meh, IMO, aftermarket never looks as good as factory and you would not have the same warrnaty coverage---spend the $$$ and get it done from the factory/dealer----much better off in the long run.

there is little to no aftermarket for subaru...the stereo electric is wired into the heat/ac controls etc and it's tough to get anyone other than the dealer to touch it

Glenn

Yeah, that's one thing now...they've nixed regular radios for these oddly shaped ones that are the size of a lunch tray. "It doesn't have nav...but the station numbers are 3" high!"

Glenn

I got a new phone recently. I'm really impressed with slacker and pandora. As long as you have a good 3g connection, they seem to deliver. Free too.

campgottagopee

I’ve test drove all 3 and done the internet research and I think I’ve made up my mine, but I’d like to here from anyone who owns or has an informed opinion on any of these models. My main concerns would be handling winter conditions and storage.

I presently own a 2004 Honda CRV.

Been nearly a year HPD, couple questions------1. Do you still feel you made the right purchase. 2. How does the Forester handle winter driving conditions. 3. Does the Forester have ample storage. 4. What 3 things DONT you like about your Forester.

highpeaksdrifter

Been nearly a year HPD, couple questions------1. Do you still feel you made the right purchase. 2. How does the Forester handle winter driving conditions. 3. Does the Forester have ample storage. 4. What 3 things DONT you like about your Forester.

1. For sure
2. very well, my drive way in Wilmington is long, steep and curvey. Times when I've gotten there after snow, before the plow guy, I've had no trouble getting up it.
3. Yeah, about the same as my CRV. At least it feels that way.
4. I can't really think of any.

Geoff

Good to know...

"satellite ready" <> "satellite radio installed"

Personally, I'd much rather have an integrated iPod connection. Had the Sirius trial subscription for 6 months...didn't impress me enough to pay $10/month more for.

I wish all cars came with a USB interface and a radio that understood Apple playlist format. I should just be able to dock my iPod and use the steering wheel controls. I have that on my home AV Receiver. With the Apple talking play list and song title stuff they use on the 3G shuffle, you could even do a reasonable job on the cheap without needing a display.

On my car, the aux audio input is in the glove box. I never got around to rigging up something more permanent so I have a minijack cable dangling out of the glove box.

campgottagopee

1. For sure
2. very well, my drive way in Wilmington is long, steep and curvey. Times when I've gotten there after snow, before the plow guy, I've had no trouble getting up it.
3. Yeah, about the same as my CRV. At least it feels that way.
4. I can't really think of any.

Great, glad you're enjoying your ride----I asked you question 4 for a reason, and I find it very interesting......we had a customer in here a while back who did his car buying research via a mall parking lot by asking Subaru owners (all years and conditions) to tell him 3 "things" they didn't like about their Subie, and according to him, not 1 person named 3 "things". To me that's impressive.

lerops

Reviving an old thread...

I am finally getting out of the city. Getting a car as well. I am looking at the Forester, but can't decide between the Premium and the Turbo Premium. Any thoughts by someone who might have owned both? I test drove both, but i am looking for a longer term perspective.

And secondly any tips to save on Subaru shopping?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

I am finally getting out of the city. Getting a car as well. I am looking at the Forester, but can't decide between the Premium and the Turbo Premium. Any thoughts by someone who might have owned both? I test drove both, but i am looking for a longer term perspective.

Turbo + winter = :) Turbo + altitude = :D

Edd

I have had the Premium for a year and pretty much love it. The sunroof and winter package are nice.

I had no desire for the turbo but the expense alone would have kept me from it. Going from memory I think it requires premium gas and it might be less reliable than the base engine as well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
will the diesel be released in the US anytime soon? You would think with the great success that VW has had that Subaru would get in on the action.

Not that I'll be a buyer, it's well documented how I feel about Subarus.

Edd

will the diesel be released in the US anytime soon? You would think with the great success that VW has had that Subaru would get in on the action.

Not that I'll be a buyer, it's well documented how I feel about Subarus.

It seems I read why the U.S. has so few diesels from time to time and it goes in one ear and out the other because I feel like it's all bull***. It simply must be less profitable for some companies if the U.S. were to embrace them.

I think you'll come to your senses about Subarus one day...:stirpot: