• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

333 skis

333skis

Mogul skis 333 skis

Michael, thanks for stopping in. I have been reading over your site. Love the workshop you have set up. I'm shopping for an all mountain sk (Watea and the like) that is more oriented to bumps. The custom ski idea is making my decisoin process much harder.

Greg is the site admin and ruler of Alpinezone. I'm sure you can send him a Private Message to follow up on your questions. If you go to Quick Links in the upper right and select Private Message you can send him a note.

Thank you. I'll send a private message.

As for the "custom ski thing" I am learning how different individuals go about the design process. I am building out 3 ways in which I can quickly orient you in the right direction with as much or little information you need. Ski are unique in that to function in the way the skier desires or hopes to desire, they have to contend with snow conditions, terrain, the mood of the skier, the type of skier, the learning curve and then you get old, the other side of the learning curve. So to get from variable inputs to single outputs such as underfoot width, flex ect. gets interesting on the programing side.

So, as for mogul skis, currently I am testing on two fronts. Dedicated bump skis and training bump skis. The main difference is side cut and underfoot width. Dedicated, are slender with less side cut. Training are wider under foot with a tad more side cut. The reason being is so you can ski the ski over more types of terrain, get around the hill.

I'll post pictures and spec up coming on the test ski section at 333skis.com Currently there is a set of Tele test skis at the http://333skis.com/tele-skis-being-built.php with a review.

333skis

General constraints in ski design.

Icelantic Shaman.

Dimensions are one part of the equation, construction, flex both long and torsional and tail and tip profiles. Personally, I would want to see and ski a example of their product before I can decide what type of ski I would want from them. NeverSummer makes a great wide ski, but I wouldn't want a frontside carver from them, same as I wouldn't want a rockered powder ski from a race stock race ski construction.

I am not dissing this company, I am intrigued by what they are doing and wish them the best and look forward to getting on what they got.

Dear Icelantic,

Very true the above. Traditionally, a company will dedicate its line to a sector of the market, based on press capacity and the tooling package in the guts. If your press is set for 160 effective edge then you build long skis (185 cm plus) accordingly, with the camber plates built into the press and tip/tail slope also dedicated. More presses mean a larger line, more expense, bigger crew, more problems. If you build with rocker, then the press is dedicated to that effective edge, and rocker profile. Press's by vertue of their span need to be built to handle upward to 8 tons of outward presure over a 200 cm plus span. They can get expensive and they take up floor space and they eat electricity. What I am getting at, is a company that builds a particular type of ski does so because of tooling restrictions and marketing dollars to service the nitche they function in.

Building out torsional rigidity can be a matter of the glass used. Triaxial at 22 oz for max strength along the +45 -45 with a horizontal wood core package. Same ski made lighter with 14 oz double bias keeps the strand orientation along same 45 deg axis's but takes out the longitude strands softening the length wise flex. That can be compensated for by milling the core with less slope to add back the stiffness if desired.

A great, wide ski has to have the right flex in conjunction with camber for huge air landings but rocker for max pow. The presses I work with go camber to rocker in 2.7 minutes. I've been building traditional ski press's for over 20 years and have incorporated adjustable camber tooling, and quick change guts with both electrical watlow elements as well as high temp water jackets to accelerate cure time. 2.7 minutes throat change, with one hand, is in a league of its own.

I always hope I sound well when I write these things out. I too am not trying to diss any body, although when I was younger I would have f the world. Trying to inform on the great wonderful world of skis design. The 333 platform can break the casket open.

I did offer to send a test ski, costs covered at my end, to the forum for testing and feed back. I think my posts are all over the place so the threads are hard to find. If they can be consolidated would be great. Many people are asking tech and general questions in different threads, a consolidation may help. You can view the test process with a review of the ski at http://333skis.com/tele-skis-being-built.php

As for the test ski, it would be great to get a consensus on numbers from the forum and I can build out that ski and send for testing amongst group members. If you guys decide to do this,

Thank you
Michael

Edd

Well obviously, Newmarket, NH is a very important skier town so it would be nice to get a demo set here. I'm sure Deadheadskier and Eastcoastpowderhound will back me up on this. :wink:

Michael, I'm just kidding.....sort of.

Well obviously, Newmarket, NH is a very important skier town so it would be nice to get a demo set here. I'm sure Deadheadskier and Eastcoastpowderhound will back me up on this. :wink:

Michael, I'm just kidding.....sort of.

yup, newmarket, NH is a hot spot for sure. I've got my own demo fleet so we could do some significant side by side comparrisons of 333 skis to one of the european ski manufacturers.

Edd

yup, newmarket, NH is a hot spot for sure. I've got my own demo fleet so we could do some significant side by side comparrisons of 333 skis to one of the european ski manufacturers.

Yeah, we'll compare 'em to these also. We'll be very thorough.

002.JPG

333skis

Mammoth is still open, try test skis 333

I'll be skiing for another month or more @ A-Basin. I may even be in Mammoth in early June if the mtn. is still open. I would love to try these skis

If you are going to be here in Mammoth please call. Can help out with a Cabin and test skis. 760 709 6413

I will be in Mammoth till season end then back to Olancha.

Yes, Mammoth is huge and top tier.

snoseek

Bumping this awesome thread for more visual answers

pt 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liSJ...om/333-ski-videos.php&feature=player_embedded

pt 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idABWvvb8zQ&feature=related

pt 3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idABWvvb8zQ&feature=related

Gawd why am I sofa king tech-tarded!!!!!!

Anyways we have one pair on order (gift for g.f.'s dad) with two more in the very near future. 222 for the test model custom is silly cheap. There is no doubt in my mind this guy makes bomber skis...in the states.....using mostly American local product.....with solar power. No snotty sponsered kids, no paid advertising, no ski shop, no reps, no full page ads in ski mags selling improbable ideals, just hand made boards with soul....sign me the F$#$ up!

As skiers we can only hope this guy is successful and helps create this kind of model for other companies to follow.

Last edited:

snoseek

Bump for Micheals article in powder this month.

Hawkshot99

Bump for Micheals article in powder this month.

Have you received your skis yet? Or did you ever demo a pair before buying. I want to get a pair of them, but dont feel like wasting money if they are not built well enough. The price seems great, but what do you loose by saving that money?

snoseek

Have you received your skis yet? Or did you ever demo a pair before buying. I want to get a pair of them, but dont feel like wasting money if they are not built well enough. The price seems great, but what do you loose by saving that money?

No I Haven't ordered my own skis yet so no but I can confirm from a reliable source that Micheal makes quality product. Just look at his set-up and the fact that satisfaction is guaranteed, watch the vids.

bvibert

Staff member
Bumping this awesome thread for more visual answers

pt 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liSJ...om/333-ski-videos.php&feature=player_embedded

pt 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idABWvvb8zQ&feature=related

pt 3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idABWvvb8zQ&feature=related

Gawd why am I sofa king tech-tarded!!!!!!

Anyways we have one pair on order (gift for g.f.'s dad) with two more in the very near future. 222 for the test model custom is silly cheap. There is no doubt in my mind this guy makes bomber skis...in the states.....using mostly American local product.....with solar power. No snotty sponsered kids, no paid advertising, no ski shop, no reps, no full page ads in ski mags selling improbable ideals, just hand made boards with soul....sign me the F$#$ up!

As skiers we can only hope this guy is successful and helps create this kind of model for other companies to follow.

Looks really cool. I watched part of the first video, I'll have to watch the rest when I'm not at work. I'm very curious to hear some first hand reports on these skis.

tjf67

Looks really cool. I watched part of the first video, I'll have to watch the rest when I'm not at work. I'm very curious to hear some first hand reports on these skis.

He offered to build a pair and send it out for the clit crew to try, why dont you guys take him up on his offer?

bvibert

Staff member
He offered to build a pair and send it out for the clit crew to try, why dont you guys take him up on his offer?

I thought about it, but being far from an expert I wasn't sure that I could give them a fair evaluation.

eatskisleep

Read the homepage, not good news in my opinion, looks like he took on too much work and is not only building set skis, not all custom like before?

http://333skis.com/

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
There was a big blow-up on TGR. He deleted his original thread so nobody can see the comments buyers made, but one of the buyers made a new thread. Check it out. Build quality was sub-par, apparently, and very late.

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like they realize there's a big problem, and that they bit off more than they could chew. Now they're trying to take a step back, correct the problems, and hopefully continue on their original path.

It's a cool concept, I hope they can turn it around.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sounds like they realize there's a big problem, and that they bit off more than they could chew. Now they're trying to take a step back, correct the problems, and hopefully continue on their original path.

It's a cool concept, I hope they can turn it around.
Read the thread. Also mistreated customers, from my understanding. Somebody who questioned when their order would be fulfilled had the order canceled on him, for example.

I don't know the whole story, but 333 is not a popular ski manufacturer on TGR right now...

o3jeff

Read the thread. Also mistreated customers, from my understanding. Somebody who questioned when their order would be fulfilled had the order canceled on him, for example.

I don't know the whole story, but 333 is not a popular ski manufacturer on TGR right now...

Sounds like the soup nazi of the ski industry! NO SKIS FOR U!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com