• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My new bike, ready to hit the trails...!!

Highway Star

You read something that Domeskier wrote and then took it seriously?

I don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I know is that when I'm riding, I try to avoid going into ditches. So I don't see what he's talking about.

Domeskier

You read something that Domeskier wrote and then took it seriously?

I don't get it.

If there's one think I don't joke about, it would have to be bike riding!

All I know is that when I'm riding, I try to avoid going into ditches. So I don't see what he's talking about.

Remove your brakes and the ditches will be a piece of cake. If things get hairy, just jam your foot in the forks.

Domeskier

That sounds like a REALLY bad idea.

All the kids down by the skate park swear it's a surefire way to the pros. I've been thinking about removing the edges from my skis and hitting some icy zipper lines to prepare for the podium in 2018. I hope Paddy Deneen is not reading this and getting any ideas, because I'm super litigious.

benski

Remove your brakes and the ditches will be a piece of cake. If things get hairy, just jam your foot in the forks.

Did your orthopedist or local ER tell you that? I think not braking is why I went over my handlebars and broke my arm last time I road my bike. Good for the doctors but bad for me.

Highway Star

All this talk about brakes got me thinking. I don't use my front brake for obvious reasons, far to easy to go over the bars. I always use my rear brake, so it seems like its wearing out and doesn't work as well as it should. Is it possible to swap my front brake to the rear of the bike?

dlague

All this talk about brakes got me thinking. I don't use my front brake for obvious reasons, far to easy to go over the bars. I always use my rear brake, so it seems like its wearing out and doesn't work as well as it should. Is it possible to swap my front brake to the rear of the bike?

Just swap the tires derailleur and all!

Highway Star

Upon doing further research, I have determined that at least 50% of bicycle accidents are directly caused by the front brake. I will be removing my front brake as soon as possible, I urge everyone to do the same to avoid serious injury. Proof - just look at how many people go over the bars in this video:

Domeskier

I hooked my brakes up to the opposite levers to screw over potential thieves for just that reason. Problem is, I usually forget that I did that. I now ride with a sweet full face helmet and more body armor than Iron Man!

Highway Star

I'm going to continue riding in jeans and a full face like I always have.

Highway Star

Same outfit that you ski in, huh?

Yes, effective and stylish!

DSCF1459-L.jpg

Highway Star

I hooked my brakes up to the opposite levers to screw over potential thieves for just that reason. Problem is, I usually forget that I did that. I now ride with a sweet full face helmet and more body armor than Iron Man!

So, I looked at my brakes in detail last night, apparently I have a DISC brake in the front, and a VEE brake in the back of the bike. I have no idea way they call it a VEE brake, it looks much more like an "H" to me. Anyway, it gave me the (revolutionary?) idea that I could actaully move the front brake to the rear of the bike, while keeping the existing rear brake in place. So both brake levers work a rear brake!!! Brilliant! I'll be attempting to do this shortly, it should bolt right up.

Domeskier

Excellent idea, HS. As summer nears, the bike paths will be swarming with children and it really pays to be able to stop on a dime. It might be worth seeing if you could also add a coaster brake, just in case the VEE brake and the disc brake both fail.

Highway Star

Excellent idea, HS. As summer nears, the bike paths will be swarming with children and it really pays to be able to stop on a dime. It might be worth seeing if you could also add a coaster brake, just in case the VEE brake and the disc brake both fail.

That sounds pretty awesome, but I sometimes like to spin my pedals backwards when cruising along.

Highway Star

How do you do larger drops to flat? I saw this video of a rider doing a larger stair drop and she is clearly too far forward and messes up her front wheel: