• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

St. Anton, Austria - late February

ComeBackMudPuddles

Date(s) Skied: Feb 25-28, 2009

Resort or Ski Area: St. Anton, Austria

Conditions: powder, more powder

Trip Report: Well, I guess this TR could also be filed under "better late than never". Went to St. Anton to get some great skiing in and to re-live past glories with some old friends (we did a previous Euro trip together in 2002 at Val d'Isere, so this trip was a long time coming).

Compared to some other famous European resorts (Val d'Isere, Meribel, Chamonix, Zermatt), the skiing at St. Anton feels much more contained. Luckily, there's some real kick-ass off-piste terrain readily accessible from the lifts, so, even with a smaller size, I could always find some interesting terrain that was basically empty....Which was great, because we got DUMPED on....I'm 6' 6" and I was skiing thigh-deep untracked powder for much of our stay (we had two days of snow and two days of dark blue skies). Simply amazing. The only bummer was that there was so much snow that the highest lift-serviced terrain was closed, even on blue-bird days.

The apres scene definitely did not disappoint, either. The two main hot spots are Krazy Kangaruh and Mooserwirt. Mooserwirt is a little more Euro-techno and the KK tends to be more of the pitchers and 80s hair band scene. Follow this link for a flavor of the Krazy Kangaruh scene during my stay (I'm proud to say that I'm in one of those shots).....

:spread:

015_St_Anton_2009.JPG

030_St_Anton_2009.JPG

032_St_Anton_2009.JPG

037_St_Anton_2009.JPG

deadheadskier

Staff member
We need a drooling emoticon

wow

Only skied in Europe when I was 9 and too little to fully appreciate it. Gotta get over there again someday. All things considered, I think I'd rather do a European trip than one out West. The shear size of the areas make most American resorts seem tiny in comparison.

drjeff

Sooo want to call the travel agent and book a trip there for next winter after seeing those "chamber of commerce" quality pics!
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif

ski220

We need a drooling emoticon

wow

Only skied in Europe when I was 9 and too little to fully appreciate it. Gotta get over there again someday. All things considered, I think I'd rather do a European trip than one out West. The shear size of the areas make most American resorts seem tiny in comparison.

All things considered? Consider snow quality first. The American west rules on that point. Scenery? Food? Like em both, but when I'm on a ski trip I consider the skiing first. The storms in Europe tend to be farther apart, but when it dumps it dumps. And then the lack of avie control leads to days of delay of opening lifts. It is almost all above tree line, so factor that in too.

I've had some kick ass trips with big snowfalls in Europe and I will go back anytime, but...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I loved St. Anton. Skiing from village to village, the cutural heritage, the views, the history, the rockin town scene that's been rockin long before the US got started... The smog however is the pitts. I agree that snow can be quite variable. I had a week of ice at Kitzbuhel followed by 3 feet of pow in the Arlberg. Agree the US West snow can't be beat, not only for quality, but predictability. Someone help the exchange rate, please.... Still, one never forgets their first love....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The amazing thing about Austrian skiing is that they ski their brains out until about 10 am, then they grab a deck chair and drink themselves into oblivion at the mid-mountain lodges.
Well, not everyone, but enough people that there are no seats left. after 11am.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Glad this got bumped as well.... even if it was a month ago. That looks awesome!! Never skied in Europe and these pictures pute the spark in me!

At the Krazy Kangarue is that you in the blue shirt first column fourth down? ;)

Seriously though that looks awesome!!

DWeiss67

Thanks, I never skied the Alps before so no time like the present. Alot of deals out there right now......

Palmetto Native

Amazing pics...I was thinking of heading to St. Anton am Arlberg while visiting our factory in Germany, But hitting Garmisch-Partenkirchen instead. A little closer to Stuttgart for flying out of.

Next time its St Anton all the way.