• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Foam vs. Wood

Foam or Wood

• Foam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

freestyle-skibum

Wood all the way, foam brakes down to easy ad that would ruin a good day of skiing, also the wood is more sturdy and when ur braking through crud snow, there isnt as much give as a foam core would give

RossiSkier

freestyle-skibum said:
Wood all the way, foam brakes down to easy ad that would ruin a good day of skiing, also the wood is more sturdy and when ur braking through crud snow, there isnt as much give as a foam core would give

So your wood core skis are more sturdy thru crud than a pair of Atomic Metron B5's or Rossi B2's,both with a milled foam core? :lol:

Maybe you're thinking of the injected foam cores in of an old pair of rental skis.

JimG.

Staff member
RossiSkier said:
freestyle-skibum said:

So your wood core skis are more sturdy thru crud than a pair of Atomic Metron B5's or Rossi B2's,both with a milled foam core? :lol:

Maybe you're thinking of the injected foam cores in of an old pair of rental skis.

I've tried the Atomics and the B2's with the milled foam cores...they just don't stack up to a good wood core ski. I especially didn't like any of the Atomics and I thought it was funny that the rep I demoed from was touting the idea that the synthetic material they use is "just like wood".

:idea: Well, then I'll just stick to wood because those skis didn't ski like a wood core ski. :idea:

Just my opinion.

RossiSkier

JimG. said:
RossiSkier said:
freestyle-skibum said:

I've tried the Atomics and the B2's with the milled foam cores...they just don't stack up to a good wood core ski. I especially didn't like any of the Atomics and I thought it was funny that the rep I demoed from was touting the idea that the synthetic material they use is "just like wood".

:idea: Well, then I'll just stick to wood because those skis didn't ski like a wood core ski. :idea:

Just my opinion.

Jim, I'd love a 2006 B1 with the new midfat waste. They're wood core. I'm drooling for a pair. And I could get a pair for 18.5 cans of baby formula.

JimG.

Staff member
RossiSkier said:
Jim, I'd love a 2006 B1 with the new midfat waste. They're wood core. I'm drooling for a pair. And I could get a pair for 18.5 cans of baby formula.

Ah yes, I remember the days when purchases were tabulated in terms of number of cans of formula. It's amazing how expensive it is!

I'm going to demo those B1's this weekend at Hunter, if I can get my hands on a pair. They'll probably be beating people off of them with sticks-they're getting alot of press.

Chris_skis

I've heard this type of argument on skis or boots for a long time.

Shaped or straits,
Soft or hard,
3 buckles or 4 buckles.

I think that you get what you pay for.

A $200 pair of skis will suck no matter it is made of wood or foam.

RossiSkier

Chris_skis said:
I've heard this type of argument on skis or boots for a long time.

Shaped or straits,
Soft or hard,
3 buckles or 3 buckes.

I think that you get what you pay for.

A $200 pair of skis will suck no matter it is made of wood or foam.

Good 6th post dude! ha ha. . 2 bucks - the ski sucks

skidmarks

Core is a non issue. It's only part of the design and most Companies use both. Go play on your wood Tennis Racket and golf clubs.

madskier6

Core is a non issue. It's only part of the design and most Companies use both.

You can't be serious. If core is a non-issue then what in your opinion makes all the various skis ski and feel differently on the mountain and in various conditions? While design and construction methods are also important, core is very important. I think the ski manufacturers and a lot of the gear experts would strongly disagree with this point of view.

Go play on your wood Tennis Racket and golf clubs.

Are you suggesting that the use of wood cores are as outdated as wooden tennis rackets and wooden golf clubs? Volkl, Dynastar and K2 (along with many other ski manufacturers) would strongly disagree with you (as would the skiers that love the wood core skis that they make).

Please explain what you mean by your post on the wood vs. foam core issue.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
RossiSkier said:
Vano said:
People have been telling me though that Atomic makes skis with carbon that are as durable... is this true?

Atomic is using nanotechnology to make materials that they claim to be up to 50 times stronger and lighter than ordinary steel. According to their latest billing, "They've injected nanoscopic silicon oxide crystals into the tiny voides between carbon fibers...result is a super light ski that provides twice the stability and 22% more power in it's return flex.

Here's a write-up on the Atomic site:

http://winter.atomicski.com/technology.php

It's a neat concept and all, but it really isn't nanotechnology. That's all marketing hype. They even claim right on their website:

"Nanotechnology, the science of manipulating materials at the molecular level — about one 80,000th the diameter of a human hair."

They're not manipulating anything at the molecular level. They found some chemical process to achieve this desire affect, that's all. They're not injecting anything at the molecular level. Could you imagine how long that would take to make a sheet of material big enough to make a ski core? It's rediculous.

True nanotechnology is what they said, actually manipulating molecules and atoms. Like making molecular gears and motors and such. Like when IBM first did this:

stm10.jpg

Atomic claiming this as nanotechnology is like claiming high carbon steel is nanotechnology because the carbon atoms find their way into interstitial spaces in the iron atoms. Just dumb marketing hype. The ski industry is plagued by it.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
RossiSkier said:
Wow Marc. Good post. Those LIARS at Atomic. Well I would still LOVE a pair of B5's.

Heh, yes, a poor marketing department is no reason to judge the quality of their skis, only the quality of their management.

Like I said, near every major ski manufacturer uses some sort of meaningless hype to draw in the "gotta have it" crowd.

They don't market towards the "gotta ski it" crowd, because that type of consumer is going to select the ski based on its merits and not its advertisements. That's why I like hanging around here, and having these threads.