• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yup, Not A Good Day

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
I'm trying to keep my sanity in writing this. I know many of you have had to make this difficult choice, when to put your pet down. My 17 year old cat, Normy, had a bad turn in her health two weeks ago. The vet did say she was very sick after a blood test, signs of kidney failure. Of course I will do anything to make her better, went to the vet multiple times to have her treated, I had an IV bag here to give her sodium chloride every day as well as antibiotics.

Well, without the details, her health declined a lot Saturday. I could see the line was crossed from sick to suffering. Decided to have her put down. This I think is the worst day in my life because of this decision. That cat has no idea how much she'll be missed

so sad..my family had a cockerspaniel from when I was 7 to 21 years old and when she died it was the saddest thing and now my parents current dog is having health problems..it's sad..hang in there..

Glenn

That's a really tough call to make. You did the right thing though. Hang in there.

wa-loaf

Sorry to hear that. I had to put my dog to sleep in the fall. It's really tough.

Beetlenut

I feel for you, I had the same decision to make with a cat I once had. No easy way out. My wife had to put down her Rottie, and the vet made a house call and did it right there in our living room while he was on his dog bed. So sad to say the least. Ultimately you have to do what's best for the animal, no matter how sad it makes you.

Dr Skimeister

Sorry to hear of your loss. Some comfort can be taken in knowing that very few cats born 17 years ago are still kicking around.

Having seen my own cat decline with kidney failure, as well as attempting to treat other's cats that suffer with it on a regular basis, I have no doubt you did a kind thing for Normy with your decision.

Warp Daddy

Really sorry to hear of your loss . I know how you feel i always cry like a babay whenever i 've had to put a pet down -----------its a serious downer

Pets are incredible and give so much back to us than they ever require .

dmc

YOu did the right thing...

Quality of life is what it's about for a pet.. They depend on us to make this choice..

I love my cats...

Philpug

Been there, yeah it sucks. Some times its not easy to do the right thing.

campgottagopee

Sorry for your loss and the hard decision you had to make. Normy is now running pain free and looking back on all the good years you gave him.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Thank you for your thoughts and experiences, I am a frigin mess still. I know it was the right decision.... sucks all the same. I think the vets were very sad as well! I did choose to stay in the room when she was put down, pretty much makes it full circle since I picked Normy out of her litter when she was born! Hence why 'she' has a boys name as I could not tell which sex she was at that size.

playoutside

So sorry for your loss. It's such a tough decision. Pets are such a key to our lives. I had to make this same decision 2 years ago with my 20 yr old cat. Absolutely the hardest thing I've had to do. The pain/sadness you feel today will diminish but it takes time. Always remember its the kindest thing you did by relieving your kitties pain.

WoodCore

Sorry for your loss!! I've had to put two beloved pets down in the last year so I definitely understand and offer my deepest condolences. Regardless of how painful it is, you did the right thing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sorry to read this John :(

you'll always have those seventeen great years. physically Normy has moved on, but you'll always have her in spirit with you

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I have a female cat with a male name. Her name is Elvis...yes after The King. My wife has a thing for Elvis. It's not really healthy, I think. But anyway, when we were apartment dwellers, our lease always said "No pets". When we bought the house, the first thing she said was she wanted a cat named Elvis...first kitten was a girl. The story of how the kitten became ours is another really funny story.

Elvis was supposed to be a x-mas give from my MIL to my wife. On xmas eve, Mrs Root show's up unannounced at her mother's house with her friend from high-school, and her two kids (10 and 4). MIL had let the kitten out to run around while she went to take a shower. Well, my MIL had just stepped out of the shower, when she heard someone coming through the front door. Knowing that the xmas present is running around the livingroom, she bolts out of the bathroom, up a flight of stairs and into the living room to try to stop them from finding the little gal, not realizing that she had additional "guests".

Needless to say, in the long run, everyone got a great laugh about it and we still refer to it as the "year my wife ruined x-mas".

Warp Daddy

Yeah i screwed up too I named my Big Black cat "Queen Latifah " when i took it to the VET for first check up he laffed and told me i was teh owner of one of the biggest Tom cats he'd seen

So Latifah is now now "the TEEFSTER " but still answers to Latifah Damn i 'm like you guys I LOVE THIS guy he thinks he's a dog and follows me everywhere . WE always had Black Labs and i loved them too but this BIG BOY is Way Cool