Stowe/Mt. Mansfield, VT 4/25/2009 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Great stuff J.Spin!

Good to see you get some while everything is closed!

That's a helluva waterfalls under the gondi!
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    NIce TR there Jspin! TR's have now been taken to a new technological level!
    I certainly learned the techniques from others (like BigJay, who showed me how to use Adobe Illustrator to make really nice Google Earth plots of GPS tracks) but I do have fun adding my own touches. I've actually been doing these for a few seasons, although I don't think I've sent any in to AlpineZone since I've only recently been posting here more often. Generally I only make plots for ski outings with hiking, and mostly backcountry trips since it takes a bunch of extra work to get the plots together. I think it's really most useful for more unfamiliar terrain outside the usual ski areas anyway. I've added a few reports below that use the technique - I think having the plots gives a much better idea of what went on where, and what the overall geography is like:

Camel's Hump State Park, Vermont - January 21st, 2007

Bolton Valley/Cotton Brook Area, Vermont - February 4th, 2007

Bolton Valley backcountry, Vermont - February 11th, 2007

Bolton Valley backcountry, Vermont - February 18th, 2007

Pease Mountain, Vermont - March 3rd, 2007

Bone Mountain/Bolton Valley backcountry, Vermont - March 11th, 2007

Waterbury, Vermont - December 16th, 2007

Bolton Valley/Cotton Brook Area, Vermont - December 29th, 2007

Robbins Mountain, Vermont - January 5th, 2008

Waterbury, Vermont - January 20th, 2008

Waterbury Backcountry, Vermont - February 16th, 2008
    Last edited by J.Spin; May 4, 2009 at 10:31 AM.

Camera

Quote Originally Posted by TheBEast View Post
    What kind of GPS unit do you have?
    It's a Garmin Etrex Vista. It's actually a somewhat older model that I got from a friend back when we lived in Montana. I believe the newer ones have more sensitive receivers (it looks like the new version has an "H" at the end of the name to indicate that fact), but mine does fine in the trees as long as I keep it mounted up high on my shoulder. A current picture of the unit from the Garmin website is below:

-J

I broke down and got a GPS (same model, got it used on ebay last year) after I became frustrated and almost VERY lost for the first time ever, when bushwhacking some abandoned (like 20 years abandoned) trails. I had to do that because the compass and topo maps were just not enough help in the densely forested area. I had made two failed attempts to summit and became very confused due to heavily wooded below-cliff bushwhacks and some hunter's markings. I was actually looking for a very unique treasure, which I finally found on the third attempt. I had even resorted to flagging (highly unusual for me). It turned out I was taking the incorrect branch off an old cart road, but since the paths were unmarked, it was difficult to find.

What I ended up doing was loading known way points (specific ledge outcroppings, end of ledge, drainage, blowdowns) based on topos and Google earth into the GPS and from that point, I always knew where I was relative to the known objects. Simply knowing where North was and my heading, were not enough, it was too dense.. The heavy foliage made it very challenging for reception, so I'd have to find a clearing and re-sync, but it all worked out in the end.

Bringing it home and downloading and mapping it me a much better sense of where I had been and why I had made the mistakes I did. I know have an electronic "trail map" of my bushwhack, which is really nice for the next time. It was really cool and a lot of fun. I enjoy that sort of exploration. I take my daughter geo-caching sometimes, which is a great, low risk way to get them into the forests, have some fun and enjoy ourselves.

BTW, I have the Vista without the "H", higher sensitivity and it worked out just fine.
    BTW, if you have an IPHONE, you can get geo coodinates triangulated off the cell phone towers. Kinda neat, but a NH Fish and Wildlife guy I talked to said the accuracy can vary widely and is nearly useless in search and rescue.
    Last edited by billski; May 4, 2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

This is the uber TR. Nice work!

I ski double black diamonds.

Thread Information