• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 10/25 - 10/26 Storm Discussion Thread

Vortex

I think Nick made it clear. They are glad to see the snow and they will be open top to bottom on Nov 11. The day could change a couple of days in either direction, but any change in plans will be broacast loud and clear.

WWF-VT

Classic Killington marketing - snow report says 2-4 inches, other posters have said 6-7 at the top and marketing says " more than a foot of new snow at Killington Resort overnight and the forecast is calling for more"

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Just the facts, ma'am

#1 Kmart is owned by ASC

#2 Kmart is desparate for skiers

#3 Kmart will open as soon as there is a sustainable base. Key word is sustainable. I don't care what their website says, I worked with these people when I was at the Bush.

They are under alot of pressure to bring as many skiers to the mountain as possible. With their(ASC) financials they don't care about next year, just this season. Will they open by Nov 4th so they can make their traditional publicity splash? If they have a perceived sustainable base, you bet they will.

Joshua

that's all i was saying, that if there is a good base, they will open, and if they get 18 inches of snow tonight through wednesday, and it looks cold after, why wouldnt they open? there are plenty of people who will play hooky to get some turns, and you bet next weekend would be crowded if they were open, even if it is before November 11, there magical website day (cuz anything on there website is believable)

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
You betcha! It's ironic that if they did open early they desparately need/want the day skier and the weekend destination skier. They don't care about the All4one people, they already have their money.

They WANT to be the first resort to open in the northeast. They are tired of being beaton by that little place(Woodbury)? in CT although they know this place is not on too many skiers's radar.

To be the first if they need to blow a "marketing patch" with some employees skiing, I think they will do this, again. Only time will tell, all this should happen in the next couple of weeks. It should be interesting. :eek:

My comments are my own and possibly insane and certainly do not reflect the opinions of the owners of AlpineZone.

Greg

Staff member
Joshua said:
that's all i was saying, that if there is a good base, they will open, and if they get 18 inches of snow tonight through wednesday, and it looks cold after, why wouldnt they open?
That's fine, but it's all speculation. You make these broad sweeping statements that have been proven to be inaccurate. No rumors here, please. If you think that K may open Thursday, that's fine. Just state that it's your opinion. I don't want AZ to be the mechanism that some use to start rumors. If Thursday does turn out to be the day, you all will find out well before then...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Re: Just the facts, ma'am

ski_resort_observer said:
#2 Kmart is desparate for skiers

And I'm the first to admit, I am an oh so desperate skier.

I'm like a heroin junkie just lookin' for that next easy, cheap fix.

By the way, I for one am hoping we don't see 60 mph winds and driving rain around here because that means standing out waiting for road crews because of downed powerlines and the like.

Bleh.

Zand

Josh, this storm is being deemed as the "Superstorm of '05" so maybe you should change the title.

As for here, they're calling for snow as far south as Worcester Tuesday Night and Wednesday night. Anywhere that recieves rain should get renewed flooding from the 3 straight days of rain coming up. The mountains are expected to recieve blizzard conditions for the next 3 days.

Zand

What I'm saying is you can change the title yourself because it's your topic. All you have to do is change whatever is written in the subject line.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Joshua said:
that's all i was saying, that if there is a good base, they will open,

This is NOT what you said earlier which was:

Joshua said:
ITS ON, SEE YOU ALL AT KILLINGTON ON THURSDAY WHEN THEY OPEN

and if they get 18 inches of snow tonight through wednesday, and it looks cold after, why wouldnt they open? there are plenty of people who will play hooky to get some turns, and you bet next weekend would be crowded if they were open, even if it is before November 11, there magical website day (cuz anything on there website is believable)

Well, for one reason, many places have not HIRED the people to run the lifts :roll: Kind of a problem. Most places, especially today, set their budgets and plans around dates because unfortunately when you don't have lots of money you can't gamble it by opening on a whim, especially since they are NOT going to make much money if their primary market are All 4 One holders... :-?

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Its going to be some crazy weather for the next 24hrs. All rain by me but some crazy wind. Spent the whole day moving the summer lawn and deck stuff in the garage.

Greg

Staff member
Joshua said:
i didnt change the title to begin with, ask one of the moderators...
I changed it. The initial "ski season begins this week" subject was simply more conjecture. The current thread title format has historically been used to keep all storm discussion contained in one topic. Please leave it.

Zand said:
What I'm saying is you can change the title yourself because it's your topic. All you have to do is change whatever is written in the subject line.
This is true, but again, I changed it for a reason. I also don't think we need to hype this any further with a "super storm" subject. Let's just wait and see what happens...

skibum1321

I hate to be the pessimist here but I really don't think we're going to see that much snow on the ground when this is all said and done.

Greg

Staff member
Winter Storm Watch for Berkshire County as well with a potential for 7" above 1,500':

WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON EDT TODAY
THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON
Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Albany NY 532 AM EDT Tue Oct 25 2005

Northern Berkshire-Southern Berkshire-Southern Herkimer- Northern Saratoga-Schoharie-Western Schenectady-Western Albany- Eastern Rensselaer-Western Greene-Eastern Columbia-Western Ulster- Northern Fulton-Southeast Warren-Bennington-Western Windham- Including The Cities Of... Pittsfield... North Adams... Great Barrington... Lee... Lenox... Housatonic... Ilion... Herkimer... Little Falls... Mohawk... Frankfort... Dolgeville... Saratoga Springs... Cobleskill... Middleburgh... Delanson... Esperance... Duanesburg... Altamont... Hoosick Falls... Hunter... Tannersville... Windham... Chatham... Sundown... Ellenville... Woodstock... West Hurley... Kerhonkson... Napanoch... Phoenicia... Northville... Mayfield... Glens Falls... West Glens Falls... Bennington... Jacksonville... Newfane

... Winter Storm Watch Remains In Effect From Noon EDT Today Through Wednesday Afternoon...

The National Weather Service In Albany Continues A Winter Storm Watch For Elevations About 1500 Feet Across The Eastern Catskills... Taconics... Berkshires And Southern Green Mountains For This Afternoon Through Wednesday Afternoon.

A Strong Low Pressure System Continues To Develop Near The Mid Atlantic Coast This Morning. The Low Will Move Slowly Northeast Along The Eastern Seaboard Through Tuesday Night... And Reach The Gulf Of Maine By Wednesday Morning. Enough Cold Air May Wrap Around The Low To Change The Rain To Snow Across The Higher Elevations Of The Eastern Catskills... Taconics... Berkshires And Southern Green Mountains. The Snow May Be The Heaviest Tonight Into Early Wednesday Morning For Elevations Greater Than 1500 Feet.

The Potential Exists For More Than 7 Inches Of Snow In A 12 Hour Time Frame For These Locations. It May Be A Heavy Wet Snow... Which Could Bring Some Tree Limbs And Power Lines Down. The Winds Will Be Brisk From The North At 15 To 30 Mph.

A Winter Storm Watch Means There Is A Potential For Significant Snow Accumulations That May Impact Travel.

Listen To Noaa Weather Radio For The Later Updates On This Situation.