• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 10/25 - 10/26 Storm Discussion Thread

Vortex

Am reports from the K locals is snow at top of mountain currently. Mixed at bottom. Potential of 6 inches plus at Base into tonight, but did get rain overnight.

Greg

Staff member
Bob R said:
Am reports from the K locals is snow at top of mountain currently. Mixed at bottom. Potential of 6 inches plus at Base into tonight, but did get rain overnight.
This wet glop is all very good for the base though.

Greg

Staff member
Snowing in Central PA:

bgm.gif

Maybe Denton will open this weekend... ;)

Seriously, anyone in the area care to provide a report?

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Snowing in Central PA:

bgm.gif

The blue in that image is good to see, but there's still way too much green!!!! :angry:

skibum1321

bvibert said:
Greg said:
Snowing in Central PA:

bgm.gif

The blue in that image is good to see, but there's still way too much green!!!! :angry:
That's my point. There may be some snow but it seems like the majority is just going to be washed away. Let me qualify this by saying I really hope I'm wrong.

kickstand

riverc0il said:
kickstand said:
A FOOT AND A HALF!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
seriously?

wildcat snow reporting: NOTHING BUT HYPE

here's something to keep in mind when reporting snow totals: drifts don't count!!! :blink:

according to the site, it was the skiers saying that, not the snow reporters:

"skiers reported at least a foot and a half of snow on the top of Wildcat!"

Considering that it is across the street from Mt. Washington, which reported 22" at 4:40 am, is it really that far-fetched? I find Wildcat typically gets about 2/3 of what the summit of Washington gets. Even then, who cares? It's not an official "snow report". The place isn't open.

EDIT: I take that back - apparently, they felt the need to put it in their running snowfall total, so I guess it does count for their reporting purposes. At least they put a full range of totals to account for summit and base totals - 4-16" reported.

Greg

Staff member
skibum1321 said:
bvibert said:
Greg said:
Snowing in Central PA:

bgm.gif

That's my point. There may be some snow but it seems like the majority is just going to be washed away. Let me qualify this by saying I really hope I'm wrong.
Go look at the calendar. I think we're doing pretty well for it only being late-October. I don't think any of us really think that this snow is going to signify the true start of winter or that it's going to significantly help the resorts build a base. It's just nice to see, and hopefully it's a sign of the type of winter we're going to have!

ctenidae

All together now!

"The weather ooutside is frightful,
And the fire inside's delightful.
Something something something something something,

LET IT SNOW,
LET IT SNOW,
LET IT SNOW!"

Greg

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Something something something something something,
And since we've no place to go,

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
OK here's the scoop as of 11:15 am near Attitash in the MWV.

It's snowing above 1000 feet and sticking above 1300. It's doing it hard. The upper half of Attitash is turning white and you can actually see the snowflakes flying about halfway up the mountain.

The snow level should come down to the valley floor by nightfall if the precip keeps up and continues the evaporative cooling and our winds turn more out of the NW.

I assure you that the totals from K and Wildcat are real. There "may" be a ski area or two who uses the Wed-Fri snowmaking window after the storm to make snow and combine with the natural (which aids snowmaking massively). There's no telling what they will do with what they make tho (open yay or nay).

Mountains west of the MWV are going to get into the cold pool much sooner than ones to the east (thus VT totals higher).

out.

Joshua

Green doesnt mean its not snowing, it means the radar doesnt think it is snow

We already know its snowing at Kmart (look at their site, they have pics of snow today at base)

this type of storm makes snow with Strong lift and heavy precip cooling the column of air

so, while it looks like rain in VT, it is probably snowing and is in fact based on what we see/hear

thetrailboss

Staff member
Joshua said:
so, while it looks like rain in VT, it is probably snowing and is in fact based on what we see/hear

No, it is raining here in much of VT. Snow in higher elevations.

Joshua

snowing as far south as Mount Snow

NWS in VT says Significant accumulations tonight, and anything over 1500 feet is already seeing snow

Zand

Still raining here in Leicester. We've gotten 2" of the crap already on top of the 15"+ from a week ago. However, the temp has dropped from 42 to 38 in the last hour. A changeover is expected around nightfall here and will continue into tomorrow morning. 2-4" possible.

Also, I'm hearing of another Nor'Easter this weekend with snow all the way into southern NE this Saturday. That would be something... 3 snowstorms in a week in OCTOBER. I just hope these storms are still pulling up in December and January.

Joshua

8 inches at Sugarloaf

reports of 6 at Stowe from my friend who goes to school up there

Snow on Okemo's web cam

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
SNOW. I love it.

This is what the unpredictability of New England weather and living in the Northeast is all about. We have ups and downs.

Welcome to the ups!

:beer: