• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 10/25 - 10/26 Storm Discussion Thread

JimG.

Staff member
KingM said:
Joshua said:
I think it has been made clear that was my opinion

I still dont see why with over a foot of freshies and the ability to blow some fake stuff they couldnt open thursday, or at least for the weekend

He's just teasing you a little.

As for whether or not they can open, there's a "could" and there's a "will." I'm guessing they wouldn't even with three feet of new snow just based on the difficulty of scraping together a crew and throwing the lifts open when the truth is that only the die-hards would come up this early.

Hey KingM, nice to see you around AZ again; ski season must be upon us.

Last I heard from you, your son had broken an arm bone; I trust he's all healed and ready to rip? Give him and the rest of the family my best.

Guess it's time to start planning a family vacation at the Golden Lion.

Greg

Staff member
Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
226 PM EDT TUE OCT 25 2005

...HEAVY SNOWFALL CONTINUES TO IMPACT THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF
THE NORTH COUNTRY AND WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE VALLEY LOCATIONS BY
THIS EVENING ...

.STRONG LOW PRESSURE LOCATED EAST OF LONG ISLAND WILL TRACK NORTHEAST
AND INTO THE GULF OF MAINE BY WEDNESDAY MORNING. THIS WILL
CONTINUE TO SPREAD ABUNDANT MOISTURE INTO OUR REGION AND
WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA.

LATEST OBSERVATIONS FROM SPOTTERS AND COOP OBSERVERS INDICATE
SNOW LEVELS CONTINUE TO DROP ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND NORTHERN GREEN
MOUNTAINS...AS WELL AS THE ADIRONDACK MOUNTAINS IN NORTHERN NEW
YORK. SNOW LEVELS ARE NOW BETWEEN 1000 AND 1500 FEET...WITH A MIX
OF RAIN AND SNOW FALLING BETWEEN 500 AND 1000 FEET. OBSERVERS
INDICATE 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW HAS ALREADY FALLEN ABOVE 2000 FEET
IN MANY LOCATIONS OF THE GREEN AND ADIRONDACK MOUNTAINS...WITH
ONLY A TRACE TO A COUPLE OF INCHES BELOW 1500 FEET.

THE SNOW LEVELS WILL CONTINUE TO DROP AS THE AIRMASS BECOMES
COLDER AND BY EARLY THIS EVENING MANY VALLEY LOCATIONS WILL CHANGE
OVER TO ALL SNOW. THIS INCLUDES MANY OF THE CITIES ACROSS THE
CHAMPLAIN VALLEY AND LOWER CONNECTICUT RIVER VALLEY.

THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES AND COULD REDUCE VISIBILITIES
BELOW ONE MILE...CAUSING EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS.

THIS HEAVY WET SNOW...COMBINED WITH NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS OF
20 TO 30 MPH ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN MAY CAUSE DOWNED TREE
LIMBS AND POWER LINES.

PERSONS ACROSS CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT...SHOULD TAKE THE
NECESSARY ACTION AND PREPARE FOR THIS UPCOMING WINTER WEATHER
EVENT. STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR ANY MEDIA OUTLET...
THAT PROVIDES YOU WITH THE LATEST PRODUCTS FROM THE NATIONAL
WEATHER SERVICE...WHICH ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO KEEP YOU
INFORMED DURING SUCH HAZARDOUS WEATHER EVENTS.

Joshua

Sugarloaf is reporting up to 21 inches in some spots of the mountain

they also have several pics of skiers in plenty of snow with no bear spots visible

Greg

Staff member
It does indeed look pretty radical at the Loaf:

113026765210-25-05-Troy.jpg

113026761410-25-05-Snowmakers.jpg

http://www.sugarloaf.com/daily.html

Come on, folks. Get out and earn 'em!

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
JimG. said:
Hey KingM, nice to see you around AZ again; ski season must be upon us.

Last I heard from you, your son had broken an arm bone; I trust he's all healed and ready to rip? Give him and the rest of the family my best.

Thanks. We've got a new baby too, just 18 days old. I'm having a hard time finding skis in his size. ;)

As for my son, it was his leg, but thankfully it's healed up nicely and kids being what they are, he's ready to get back out there.

Guess it's time to start planning a family vacation at the Golden Lion.

The doors are always open...although with foliage gone and the ski season not yet upon us, there aren't too many people passing through them at the moment.

Zand

It's 33 degrees here and we're in the middle of a lull. Hopefully when the back edge swings through we'll see some flakes here. Not to mention it looks like we'll be having more Saturday.

Zand

It's 6:00 on Tuesday and I have 2 words...

IT'S SNOWING! Lightly, but it's a start.

dmc

We got 3" of SLOPPY snow already...
The trees are taking a beating... Couldnt use my driveway cause the lilacs are bent to the ground from the weight...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Even then, who cares? It's not an official "snow report". The place isn't open.
the fact that they posted the report on their site signifies they are vouching for the accuracy of the report. they are accountable for information posted on their site regardless of where the information comes from. that would be like a news source running a story based on an informent who later turned out to be a liar. the news source should have been responsible for verifying the facts before posting the story.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
why groom it? If the terrain if for advanced only, whats the point? leave the bumps and let us ski!!!
have you ever been to an opening day? ski areas can say advanced only all they want, the n00bs still come out to hack at the white gold. good for them, but it makes for dangerous conditions on limited terrain. all in good fun for most people, but i can't imagine the inexperienced skier having much fun getting buzzed by out of control whackos.
:beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
okay, i am finally done on catching up on posts for the day. man, you guys posting from work really can fill up a message board!

here is the scoop from the NEK:

snow flakes began mixing in with rain around noon time today at LSC. alternatining between the two off an on for several hours before settling on rain heading into the evening. the drive home was amazingly cool. i am unsure of the rain-snow line but it looked below 1000 feet but not much. snow caked trees at the top of the hills and lots of color at the bottom. some hills had fields of white up high with a field of green just 100 verts below. pretty cool.

very little wind amazingly enough and raining here in the valleys of StJ. who knows how things are above 1000 feet though. 34 degrees and falling quick, should be changing over to snow within an hour or two i would bet.

hard to make the call on where to go tomorrow. cannon is not updating their site and i am suspicious cannon might be the jackpot where elevation, precip, and cold air intersect the best. but they are an hour's drive from work whereas burke is in the back yard. jay is an hour too, but is a long shot to do a flat run out which would suck pretty hard in wet snow. also makes for a longer skin up and with a short 3-4 hour window, i am looking to make the best of things. unless jay reports light and fluffy, i'll be gunning for either burke or cannon. i can always hold out on cannon for saturday if the weather looks like the snow will hold a few days that way i can enjoy a full day with two or three runs instead of one. i believe burke locks the mid-lodge gate at 5pm which may also be an issue as skinning up from the sherburne will be tiresome both on the way up and the run out coming down.

*sigh* choices choices.

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
Will someone please remind me why I'm stuck here at work?
take a vacation day tomorrow!

I would if I had a couple left to take. As it is I have to miss out on meeting up with you guys at Killington on the 11th...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
update from StJ... since my last posting less than one hour ago, it has changed over to heavy snow coming down quick. accumulation beginning on cars and grass, pavement still holding out but was getting mixed in on the roads when i was out driving. looks like an inch an hour at this rate, gonna be at least 6" by the time this is done (my best guess, don't quote me). and that is at ~400 feet! will check back in the AM with updates.

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
okay, i am finally done on catching up on posts for the day. man, you guys posting from work really can fill up a message board!

here is the scoop from the NEK:

snow flakes began mixing in with rain around noon time today at LSC. alternatining between the two off an on for several hours before settling on rain heading into the evening. the drive home was amazingly cool. i am unsure of the rain-snow line but it looked below 1000 feet but not much. snow caked trees at the top of the hills and lots of color at the bottom. some hills had fields of white up high with a field of green just 100 verts below. pretty cool.

very little wind amazingly enough and raining here in the valleys of StJ. who knows how things are above 1000 feet though. 34 degrees and falling quick, should be changing over to snow within an hour or two i would bet.

hard to make the call on where to go tomorrow. cannon is not updating their site and i am suspicious cannon might be the jackpot where elevation, precip, and cold air intersect the best. but they are an hour's drive from work whereas burke is in the back yard. jay is an hour too, but is a long shot to do a flat run out which would suck pretty hard in wet snow. also makes for a longer skin up and with a short 3-4 hour window, i am looking to make the best of things. unless jay reports light and fluffy, i'll be gunning for either burke or cannon. i can always hold out on cannon for saturday if the weather looks like the snow will hold a few days that way i can enjoy a full day with two or three runs instead of one. i believe burke locks the mid-lodge gate at 5pm which may also be an issue as skinning up from the sherburne will be tiresome both on the way up and the run out coming down.

*sigh* choices choices.

Would you rather we actually worked at work?? :roll:

Tough choices there Steve. I say head for mountain that has verified snow for the after work run. Save Cannon for the weekend, unless you get some info that its no good. It would be nice if they would update their site, they still have the summer site up for crying out loud! They were nice enough to let us know that the season passes are now on sale... :roll:

awf170

riverc0il said:
hard to make the call on where to go tomorrow. cannon is not updating their site and i am suspicious cannon might be the jackpot where elevation, precip, and cold air intersect the best.

Nope it will be wildcat... I bet they will get two feet(well at least according to there snowreport :wink: ) Seriously though hermit lake had 14 inches at 6 pm so that means wildcat will have the same, so I say 2 ft isnt out the question. So my bet is that wildcat reports 8ft tomorrow :wink: