• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 10/25 - 10/26 Storm Discussion Thread

awf170

salida said:
just because hermit lake got 2 feet does not mean that wildcat did as well...

alright they might not get the same as hermit lake, actually they probably get a little less but it close enough...

dmc

salida said:
just because hermit lake got 2 feet does not mean that wildcat did as well...

True...
It's possible Wildcat got more...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
porter and i were chatting back channel before this started and agreed cannon and wildcat could be the two big winners from this storm. looks like the loaf is doing great as well. i still would like to have first hand verification on the 20" at the cat. that is an insane amount of snow so quickly.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
wow. just got back from an attempted drive down i93. wow. holy crap.

my g/f was supposed to pick up shovels this afternoon at walmart since i left mine at my old apartment. she forgot, so i drove around StJ and all the shops were closed. closest bet is walmart in littleton. figured it would be a slow but easy enough drive over there as the roads in StJ were not too bad.

wrong answer. the second i merged onto i93 i said "uh oh." music got shut off, blood preassure went WAY up, and i turned the heater onto cool air. white knuckle driving all the way. i knew right away i wasn't going any where and quickly began looking for an emergency turn around. passed a SUV in a ditch and tractor trailer truck pulled over but managed to get myself turned around within 2 miles. toughest two miles i have ever driven in my life for sure and i have driven through a lot of snow storms. lucky got myself behind a plow heading back to the StJ exit, still wasn't fun.

it's coming down HARD here. a few plows are out but at the current rate it will be hard for them to keep up. lots of heavy wet snow coming in quick. this is huge, i don't think the storm was hyped enough (pretty rare occurance). i think at this point it may be safe to say that this is much bigger than predicted and the mets were being too conservative. quite frankly, i just hope i can get my car to work tomorrow. more likely, i am hoping the college is closed so i can make other plans ;) i was planning on getting snow tires soon, never figured i would need them in october :eek:

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
wow. just got back from an attempted drive down i93. wow. holy crap.

my g/f was supposed to pick up shovels this afternoon at walmart since i left mine at my old apartment. she forgot, so i drove around StJ and all the shops were closed. closest bet is walmart in littleton. figured it would be a slow but easy enough drive over there as the roads in StJ were not too bad.

wrong answer. the second i merged onto i93 i said "uh oh." music got shut off, blood preassure went WAY up, and i turned the heater onto cool air. white knuckle driving all the way. i knew right away i wasn't going any where and quickly began looking for an emergency turn around. passed a SUV in a ditch and tractor trailer truck pulled over but managed to get myself turned around within 2 miles. toughest two miles i have ever driven in my life for sure and i have driven through a lot of snow storms. lucky got myself behind a plow heading back to the StJ exit, still wasn't fun.

it's coming down HARD here. a few plows are out but at the current rate it will be hard for them to keep up. lots of heavy wet snow coming in quick. this is huge, i don't think the storm was hyped enough (pretty rare occurance). i think at this point it may be safe to say that this is much bigger than predicted and the mets were being too conservative. quite frankly, i just hope i can get my car to work tomorrow. more likely, i am hoping the college is closed so i can make other plans ;) i was planning on getting snow tires soon, never figured i would need them in october :eek:

While I'm sorry to hear about your mis-advnture, that is exactly the kind of news I wanted to hear. Here's hoping that college is closed and you get in some good turns, and of course some sweet pics so that us poor rain drenched saps can live vicariously through you... ;) :beer:

Joshua

anyone know why Sugarbush doesnt update their site? they are still on summer

saw on a weather forum somone at Stowe reporting 12+ at base level, but dont know how accurate

wouldnt be surprised if more than a few peaks report 18-36 inches, may have several winners...and the upsloap precip hasnt even started yet, could get another 3-6 tomorrow night

skijay

I got ready for my 5:30am jog, and retreated back into my warm house. It was cold out there. There was a light mist and wind. The temperature was 36.

Did the Berks get any snow? I checked Ski Butternut's site this morning and they last updated the photo on 10/24/05, which was of sunny skies.

bvibert

Staff member
Birdman829 said:
I missed this thread when I posted the link to the loaf's website earlier so I guess I'll post it here too - http://www.sugarloaf.com/daily.html

Greg beat you to it ;)
Greg said:
It does indeed look pretty radical at the Loaf:

113026765210-25-05-Troy.jpg

113026761410-25-05-Snowmakers.jpg

http://www.sugarloaf.com/daily.html

Come on, folks. Get out and earn 'em!

Vano

This is all very exciting, but what does such heavy snows so early on in the season say for the long term winter outlook?

I am concerned that there is a roller coaster snow season coming our way with big swings in temps and precip. I am no weather expert, so please tell me I am wrong cause we are overdue for a good snowy winter.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Vano said:
This is all very exciting, but what does such heavy snows so early on in the season say for the long term winter outlook?

I am concerned that there is a roller coaster snow season coming our way with big swings in temps and precip. I am no weather expert, so please tell me I am wrong cause we are overdue for a good snowy winter.

This is New England (or, at least the northeast for you). Big swings in temperature and pricipitation are kinda the norm...

skibumtress

Is is true..... that K-mart has 2 feet of snow as of this morning and it's still snowing (on the RSN site)??!! :D
A couple of K-Zoners were headed up today to do a little hiking for turns. Man, I'm envious. My keyboard is all wet 'cause I was drooooling at the site of the photos.... not very ladylike to drool like that. :wink:

skibum1321

Vano said:

You can't predict anything about the future outlook based on this storm. Snow in October can't be seen as anything but good IMO. We will always have temp swings as Marc said. This will be good for base building as it is a heavy, wet snow.

thetrailboss

Staff member
bvibert said:
Here's hoping that college is closed and you get in some good turns, and of course some sweet pics so that us poor rain drenched saps can live vicariously through you... ;) :beer:

Man, I hope LSC closed...that hill is bad. But if they're anything like Vermont Law, they were open for the die hards. We had NO power at school and they still opened for morning classes. No lights, no hot water, no fans in the bathrooms. :roll: :blink: At least they closed for the afternoon.

Zand

Woke up to a dusting here. It never broke 40 today and it's supposed to get down to the mid-20s the next 2 nights. If K doesn't start snowmaking tonight, shame on them!