Mountain Lions

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lions

Mountain Lions

I'm just curious about mountain lion sightings in New England. I have never seen one myself, but I just recently heard rumors about one that may have been traveling through eastern Connecticut and western Rhode Island.

Within the last 10-12 years, Connecticut has gained a stable black bear and coyote population and are just now accumulating some breading pairs of moose. It seems as though the wild animals have become adapted to areas of higher population. It would be unusual to think that mountain lions are migrating south as well.

At the same time, there was a rogue eastern grey wolf shot and killed in Mass, I think last year.

People are still debating whether they are in Northern New England. I'd say possible, but unlikely. I think we had a thread about this before.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Items for Sale

Suburban Sprawl becomes Rural Sprawl...

Suburbs, with large acreage yards...expanded, becomes rural sprawl.... The more woodlands cleared, the more animals have to move. What are now yards...used to be meadows/stashes for denning and/or food for the wild animals. I think most all the animals mentioned don't migrate to any great degree...just to different terrain.
    The NE mountain lion is pretty solitary...ie high and secluded terrain...(EDIT: ..just info that's evident in Maine)
    $.01
    Last edited by bigbog; May 7, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
    SteveD

There have been sightings in the Nassahegan area of CT (Burlington/Bristol line). My former boss also has seen one in the Salisbury/North Canaan region.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    There have been sightings in the Nassahegan area of CT (Burlington/Bristol line).
    Bobcats. Not mountain lions.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Bobcats in Southbury CT as well. There was also a supposed sighting of a MTN lion in the area as well.
    '04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21 View Post
    Bobcats in Southbury CT as well. There was also a supposed sighting of a MTN lion in the area as well.
    Bocats are fairly common. We have one in our neighborhood too. My guess is any mountain lion "sightings" are bobcats mistaken for a mountain lion. Bobcat - 25 lbs. Mountain lion - 150 lbs. BIG difference.
    I ski double black diamonds.

http://crankfire.com/forum/viewtopic...in+lion#p71543

ETA the other thread I was thinking of:
    http://crankfire.com/forum/viewtopic...=mountain+lion

And more specifically:
    http://crankfire.com/forum/viewtopic...tart=10#p63119
    Last edited by severine; May 6, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Bocats are fairly common. We have one in our neighborhood too. My guess is any mountain lion "sightings" are bobcats mistaken for a mountain lion. Bobcat - 25 lbs. Mountain lion - 150 lbs. BIG difference.
    I agree with you and know the difference. But the account I read from S'Bury said that the cat in question was quite large and had a long tail. Bobcats have those short stubby tails.
    '04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

There have been reports in South West RI about mountain lion sightings, and several horses have been killed by "something big". Vets in the area think it was done by a large cat, but the DEM does not want to acknowledge that because they would have to spend money on it!
    Dyslexics Have More Nuf !

Thread Information