• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So... Sell me on MTB and Provide Newb Resources

SKidds

Consider that this advice comes from someone who is a little more novice than others around here, but I'd suggest considering the used route for your first bike. If you go with a quality bike, the fact that it is a few years old won't make a big difference and you can get a great frame and components for much less than you'd spend for new. If your interest in mountain biking takes off you'll be in a better position to really know what you want (do I want to invest in disc brakes?, do I ride hard enough to need a better crank set? etc., etc.) after a year or two, and maybe the need to upgrade to a full suspension will come into play.

I picked up a Fisher Hoo Koo that was 4 years old when I got it, but it was lightly used. While they may have moved into the second generation of their Genesis Hardtail aluminum frame on the new bikes by then, thrown on disc brakes, and replaced the Manitou Magnum with RockShox up front, many of the other quality components remained the same or comparable, and the stock components on the older bike were more than adequate for my beginner needs (oh, and the retail price for the new Hoo Koos had gone over a grand, while I paid $200 for a bike that set you back over $800 when it was new). Point being, you may be able to get better components and a lighter weight frame in a used bike than you'd be able to afford new, and when the time comes that you either need to upgrade or decide you aren't that into the biking, you haven't made a huge investment. It worked for me, but results may vary.

Ebay and Craigslist are good places to find a used ride. Once you do a little research into bikes you can see what's out there and go to bikepedia to look up the specs on just about any bike from any year to see if it has what you think you want. That could put your entry price at half what you were thinking while you get into the sport. Of course if you have the coin to drop a new leftover would be a nice thing to have.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
The used route can be a good one, especially if you want to do all your own maintenance. The good thing about getting a new bike from a shop is that they often include free tune ups and sometimes other maintenance for a period of time. So if something isn't working right you can just bring it back and they'll fix it up for ya. If you buy the bike used you'll have to pay for that service, if needed.

Greg

Staff member
A few other things to budget for in addition to the bike:

• Helmet. Duh!
  • Gloves. Most guys ride full fingered it seems. Better knuckle/tip protection.
  • Padded MTB shorts. This is a MUST. Seriously. It will make your riding much more comfortable. It will still take several rides for you to get used to the taint abuse, but without the padded shorts, it will be downright miserable vs. tolerable.
  • Eye protection. Most guys don't bother since they fog up so easily. I've been riding with $4 Walmart shooting glasses with mixed results this season.
  • Hydration pack. For a short ride, I think you need a bare minimum of a 50 oz. bladder, 70 - 100 oz. for anything over 90 minutes depending on how much you sweat and the temp.
  • I like synthetic shirts when riding. Sweaty cotton is not comfortable on a cool day. You probably have a lot of hiking/skiing gear that can double as MTB clothing.
  • Synthetic socks for the same reason.
  • Shoes. You can start out with any old junky sneakers since presumably you'll be riding platforms the first few rides. Once you dial in to your riding and terrain preference, you'll be able to determine what type of actual MTB shoes you'll want - ones with flat tacky soles for better grip on the platforms, or shoes that can accommodate cleats if you go the clipless route. Toe clips suck. I wouldn't even consider them.
  • Also, in the hydration pack, you'll need: a spare tube (preferably 2), tire levers, pump or CO2, a multi-tool, maybe some duct tape and zip ties. Beyond that some first aid supplies, snacks, painkiller, bug repellent, etc.
That should get you started. www.chainlove.com might become your favorite Web site!

Grassi21

• Helmet. Duh!
  • Padded MTB shorts. This is a MUST. Seriously. It will make your riding much more comfortable. It will still take several rides for you to get used to the taint abuse, but without the padded shorts, it will be downright miserable vs. tolerable.
  • Eye protection. Most guys don't bother since they fog up so easily. I've been riding with $4 Walmart shooting glasses with mixed results this season.
  • Hydration pack. For a short ride, I think you need a bare minimum of a 50 oz. bladder, 70 - 100 oz. for anything over 90 minutes depending on how much you sweat and the temp.
  • I like synthetic shirts when riding. Sweaty cotton is not comfortable on a cool day. You probably have a lot of hiking/skiing gear that can double as MTB clothing.
  • Shoes. You can start out with any old junky sneakers since presumably you'll be riding platforms the first few rides. Once you dial in to your riding and terrain preference, you'll be able to determine what type of actual MTB shoes you'll want - ones with flat tacky soles for better grip on the platforms, or shoes that can accommodate cleats if you go the clipless route. Toe clips suck. I wouldn't even consider them.
  • Also, in the hydration pack, you'll need: a spare tube (preferably 2), tire levers, pump or CO2, a multi-tool, maybe some duct tape and zip ties. Beyond that some first aid supplies, snacks, painkiller, bug repellent, etc.
That should get you started. www.chainlove.com might become your favorite Web site!

Chainlove is a great spot. I have scored great deals on shorts, a bike rack, and other random stuff.

SKidds

The good thing about getting a new bike from a shop is that they often include free tune ups and sometimes other maintenance for a period of time. So if something isn't working right you can just bring it back and they'll fix it up for ya. If you buy the bike used you'll have to pay for that service, if needed.
True dat. Heck, if you do get a used bike you may even want to bring it in for a tuneup when first starting out. But even with that you still may come out far a head in terms of the price you pay for the quality you get. Unless someone really gets into it hard and fast how may "free" (the quotes because the cost of those visits is built into the price you pay) adjustments are they going to get out of their retail bike shop experience? And if they get into it hard chances are some of those visits might be for more than just adjustments, and unless a new bike comes with a bumper to bumper warranty every repair may not be covered, no?

I'm not dissing the bike shop approach. The advice, service and support may be well worth it. Also, if you go used you really have to do your homework and have an idea of what to look for when you inspect the bike. So you do have to be careful going used, while new from a shop is an easier overall experience. Your point about maintenance is a good one, too. So far maintenance has been light for me, although I haven't really pushed the bike extremely hard.

We did go the used route for my son's 20 inch MTB as well, picking up a nice Haro. I got the bike cheap, has a great frame and wheels, gears, front suspension, etc. (for a kids bike), and we've enjoyed swapping out other components together. Little father and son project (new tires, brakes, grip shift). We've actually had fun doing the work.....and when all was said and done we saved about $200 over the price a new one of the same bike would have cost.

bvibert

Staff member
True dat. Heck, if you do get a used bike you may even want to bring it in for a tuneup when first starting out. But even with that you still may come out far a head in terms of the price you pay for the quality you get. Unless someone really gets into it hard and fast how may "free" (the quotes because the cost of those visits is built into the price you pay) adjustments are they going to get out of their retail bike shop experience? And if they get into it hard chances are some of those visits might be for more than just adjustments, and unless a new bike comes with a bumper to bumper warranty every repair may not be covered, no?

I'm not dissing the bike shop approach. The advice, service and support may be well worth it. Also, if you go used you really have to do your homework and have an idea of what to look for when you inspect the bike. So you do have to be careful going used, while new from a shop is an easier overall experience. Your point about maintenance is a good one, too. So far maintenance has been light for me, although I haven't really pushed the bike extremely hard.

We did go the used route for my son's 20 inch MTB as well, picking up a nice Haro. I got the bike cheap, has a great frame and wheels, gears, front suspension, etc. (for a kids bike), and we've enjoyed swapping out other components together. Little father and son project (new tires, brakes, grip shift). We've actually had fun doing the work.....and when all was said and done we saved about $200 over the price a new one of the same bike would have cost.

I don't disagree with the used route at all, but I don't think it's for everyone. I love working on stuff myself, and bikes are so damn easy. My first bike getting back into it was a new bike shop purchase. The advice and knowledge was nice and they offered free repairs for a year, which I mostly just used for one tune-up. They did some other work on the bike, but that was covered by Specialized warranty. Now ride a FS bike that I got used (it was actually given to me so it was an easy decision) and do all the work on it myself.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com

• Helmet. Duh!

Taint abuse? stand up! although, i'll aknoledge the hair ripping... boo

hardware store saftey glasses work well. and when they get scratched you can chuck them.. i go with clear.

gloves, always. shin/knee gaurds a must if you enjoy ripping... they're a bit toasty but well worth saving the legs from pedal attacks

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
It's hard to say what bike is best...it depends on your riding ability and what you want to do with it. If I were on a limited budget, I think I'd look at used hardtails with nice components and disc brakes. I'd rather have a nice shock and disc brakes on a HT than low end components on a FS. Maybe look into getting a used Demo bike from a shop...a buddy did that and has one sweet Cannondale FS.

BigJay

Easy steps for you... right in your old backyard is the Kingdom Trails.

Go back there to see friends... or stay at a nice B&B... bring the dog along... and rent bikes. Get a loop mapped out by the shop and enjoy your day... You won't regret it!

2 years ago, my girlfriend started mountain biking. I took her to kingdom trails on her first day. She loved it right away. After her first season, she got a new bike... and clipless pedals... she bought a whole bunch of biking gear in the past 2 seasons. Last summer we went on a 2 week trip together. This spring, she came on a trip to CO and UT for 8 days straight of mountain biking... in fact, she's the one who got me to organise the trip... she really wanted to go after seeing the pics from 3 years ago.

I'm telling you, if your wife enjoys being outdoors, she'll simply love mountain biking. You have riding around your place as well... i don't know your area... but southern NH as lots of good riding spots: FOMBA and Bear Brook come to mind... and whenever you feel like moving up (lol!), i'm sure that JD, From_The_NEK and I will find you great riding opportunities!

And you're lucky, Kingdom Trails opened last week!

See you on the trail!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Easy steps for you... right in your old backyard is the Kingdom Trails.

Go back there to see friends... or stay at a nice B&B... bring the dog along... and rent bikes. Get a loop mapped out by the shop and enjoy your day... You won't regret it!

2 years ago, my girlfriend started mountain biking. I took her to kingdom trails on her first day. She loved it right away. After her first season, she got a new bike... and clipless pedals... she bought a whole bunch of biking gear in the past 2 seasons. Last summer we went on a 2 week trip together. This spring, she came on a trip to CO and UT for 8 days straight of mountain biking... in fact, she's the one who got me to organise the trip... she really wanted to go after seeing the pics from 3 years ago.

I'm telling you, if your wife enjoys being outdoors, she'll simply love mountain biking. You have riding around your place as well... i don't know your area... but southern NH as lots of good riding spots: FOMBA and Bear Brook come to mind... and whenever you feel like moving up (lol!), i'm sure that JD, From_The_NEK and I will find you great riding opportunities!

And you're lucky, Kingdom Trails opened last week!

See you on the trail!

Riv,
If your interested in trying the KTs out in the near future before going out to buy new bikes, I have my old Raleigh M50 hardtail that you can borrow (its kinda beat but it works). My wife has a nearly brand new Trek hardtail that has only been riden a handful of times. I can't remember how tall your lady is, but if she is between 5'7" and 5'2" she should be comfortable on my wife's bike. My wife won't be riding as she is 7 months pregnant.
I'll take you on some beginner loops to see how you like it.

P.S. feel free to bring the dog over. My dog loves new friends :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Thanks for all the information. Especially those older thread posts, those helped a lot.

I got to rethinking things a big last night. I think I may have ruled out road biking too quickly. There actually are some good roads up here, I just happen to live off 175 which is terrible since it has no real break down lane. Just white paint and then a cliff. But Route 3 is good and there are a lot of quiet paved back roads up and over mountains. Waterville access road is great, etc. Just not the options I used to have at one point and just not right outside my immediate door.

I used to be a HUGE road biker. Spent a lot of time last night reliving some great memories. So I am not a complete bike newb. Got quite proficient at changing tubes on the road back then living in MA driving through pot holed filled roads. :roll: But the frame on that bike has been long since warped despite numerous rehabs and jury rigs from the LBS.

Any ways, local paths with the dog would be difficult as we have no way to transport two bikes and the dog. Pretty limited local options versus just being able able to peddle out the door without having to drive somewhere. Commuting to work was another consideration! While not a long commute at 4 miles or so each way, given two or three summers, the cost of the bike could eventually pay for itself... not to mention extending the life of my vehicle. Not to mention daily exercise.

I would suspect those that favor MTB would mention the thrill or excitement factor of MTB. Peddling fast is pretty fun too. I did really enjoy all those long distance rides. S favors road biking (though wants a hybrid style due to frame/body considerations). So that remains a factor as well.

More up in the air on that issue than I thought I might be after some fond remembrances.

Greg

Staff member
Damn. I thought we had you. Never rode road, but you gotta admit this looks like fun:

BTW, I have no idea where those are from, just a few neat vids I stumbled across after a quick search.

snoseek

I stongly urge you to accept the offer and check out trail riding in the Burke area. You will likely have a different view after riding those trails. There is plenty of fast smooth trails that anyone can enjoy.