• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any roadies thinking about trying MTB, or vice versa?

bvibert

Staff member
My wife, who recently bought a road bike so she could ride with me (a far superior road bike to mine, by the way), now thinks that we should take up mountain biking too.

So it looks like I'll be buying a mountain bike sometime before next spring.

:-\

You'll enjoy it!

bvibert

Staff member
My local haunt is about 20 minutes away, not bad at all if you ask me. It's just a tad closer than local skiing in the winter.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Bump.

Bought a FS mountain bike this spring, and I never had so much fun on two wheels. It's much more similar to skiing in terms of Line Selection, Anticipatory Balance, and attitude (not that Roadie attitude is pompous, but it's hard to be laid back when wearing spandex). Even though my wife are still learning (and have bruises all over our bodies to prove it), we're so psyched on the sport that we bought headlights to extend the season.

I've been trying to be more humble lately, so I wanted to say that Greg was right and I was wrong

bvibert

Staff member
Bump.

Bought a FS mountain bike this spring, and I never had so much fun on two wheels. It's much more similar to skiing in terms of Line Selection, Anticipatory Balance, and attitude (not that Roadie attitude is pompous, but it's hard to be laid back when wearing spandex). Even though my wife are still learning (and have bruises all over our bodies to prove it), we're so psyched on the sport that we bought headlights to extend the season.

I've been trying to be more humble lately, so I wanted to say that Greg was right and I was wrong

Glad you finally saw the light! :beer:

mondeo

I do both now, but still primarily a roadie. MTB just doesn't do the same for me as skiing does, though DH comes close. And it's still a lot easier to just hop on the road bike for an hour.

Now to find $3K before next summer to buy a bike with 7-8" suspension...

BackLoafRiver

I think I would like to try road biking out. It would be great to commute to work but for some reason I can't shake the fear of getting hit by a car.

My principal is an AVID cyclist and we talk about biking all the time. He is trying to get me on some skinny wheels :spin:

bvibert

Staff member
If I had money to dump into a road setup I'd give it a shot. I can hardly keep a MTB operational though, and I have no intention of dropping MTB for riding the road exclusively.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If I had money to dump into a road setup I'd give it a shot. I can hardly keep a MTB operational though, and I have no intention of dropping MTB for riding the road exclusively.
Given what I have read in the carnage thread, you might ride road biking cheaper! :lol: With exception of upgrades that were not "needed", I think I blew out two flats last year and one of which was my error. Otherwise, I sunk no extra money into the bike aside from cleaning the chain and two tune ups.

mondeo

Given what I have read in the carnage thread, you might ride road biking cheaper! :lol: With exception of upgrades that were not "needed", I think I blew out two flats last year and one of which was my error. Otherwise, I sunk no extra money into the bike aside from cleaning the chain and two tune ups.
+1

Other than the initial investment, I've spent very little money on the road bike. Same can not be said for the MTB. Hitting trees is expensive.

bvibert

Staff member

I have no doubt about that. However, I don't want to give up MTB, so I'll just keep dumping money into keeping something resembling a mountain bike rolling instead of just buying a road bike and being done with it. ;)

mlctvt

Yup road biking is very cheap once you have the bike. Over 4000 miles this year. Installed a new chain and a new set of tires before the season started. No flats and no repairs except for one broken spoke, my first broken spoke ever. Although the tires and chain will need replacment for next year.

gorgonzola

i won't ever do pure road but may get a cross bike at some point for our awesome rail trail / canal path network and make the longer beach rides more comfy. 30-40 miles seems to be about my tolerance on the hard tail mtb

drjeff

Really thinking about getting a road bike. It would be nice for me to go for a ride with my wife, without her much lighter, way lower friction road bike kicking my mountain bike's butt on the pavement! Plus, it would be nice for me to be able to pedal some smooth miles from time to time, especially if I'm healing up from a recent MTB crash :eek: And lastly, when I go for a MTB ride, it's anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes of drive time from either my house/office to get to my usual trails whereas I could start a ride right from my house or office and get some extra seat time in the evenings that way

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
... whereas I could start a ride right from my house or office and get some extra seat time in the evenings that way
Having been paving roads all over your corner of the state for the past ten years, you have some PRIME backroads riding right out your back door. I'm a "hills" kinda guy and cranking up and down some of that terrain in Eastford/Ashford/Pomfret etc. just calls to me. And traffic is pretty light as long as you're not trying to ride Rt 6 or Rt 44.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!! :evil: I've done both MTB and road, and there is NOTHING more exhilarating than flying down a paved mountain road at 50+ MPH. My personal best is 54 riding down Crawford Notch and 52 heading east on Rt. 2 in Florida, MA on the way down from the summit.

Although I should temper that statement to add: The only MTB I've done is on a rigid frame back in the 90s. Not even a front shock! :-o Talk about beating yourself up! My dad recently bought a FS Specialized when he retired and said there's no comparison.

SKIQUATTRO

both here, but been doing more road riding (actually, havent even taken the mtb out since last fall...and no real desire) i can ride at lunch right from my office, leave right from my house...no need to pack all my mtb gear, put the bike on top and drive somewhere....40min of my mtb rides are travel time r/t...i can spend that 40min riding road...

mondeo

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!! :evil: I've done both MTB and road, and there is NOTHING more exhilarating than flying down a paved mountain road at 50+ MPH. My personal best is 54 riding down Crawford Notch and 52 heading east on Rt. 2 in Florida, MA on the way down from the summit.
I've hit 56, somewhere just a bit east of Springfield. That's fun. But the proximety of trees gives downhills on MTB a much stronger sensation of speed, plus downhill turns are quite fun and it's rare to get a really good set of downhill twisties on a bike. They exist, but not nearly as often as downhill twisties on trails. Plus having your bike bounce around underneath you as you ride over rocks and roots adds a bit of a nice twist, too.

But DH MTB beats XC and road riding easily. 15 foot jumps with your feet floating off the pedals a little bit gets really interesting.