• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bashguards?

Do you use a bashguard on your MTB?

• Total voters

sLoPeS

hmmm, i have been considering throwing one on the C-dale. you all may have just convinced me to do so. thanks.

o3jeff

Picked one up at the LBS on my way home along with a derailleur hanger to keep in my pack.

I checked all the online bike parts places and must of missed the deal Woodcore got. Being impatient, I paid $30 and have it in my hands!:lol:

o3jeff

Nothing wrong with that!

No kidding, on line everyone starts out at $30-35 plus shipping. Installed it, now I'm just too afraid to slide the front derailleur and then figure out which one is the limit screw. Have to do some reading in the Zinn book.

bvibert

Staff member
Bah, just leave it. That's what I did, and I know which screw it is. ;)

If you move the derailleur down you'll probably have to readjust the cable too. As long as it's shifting fine why mess with it. The bashguard won't let you move past the middle ring, so you're not going to throw a chain or anything. It's probably not very good for your chain if you try to though, which I guess is the argument to adjust the screw.

Greg

Staff member
Sliding the der down is pretty cake. If you had the technical ability to install the bash guard, you can figure it out. It will be a good test and force you to learn to work on your bike. Anyone that's ridden with me knows how loud my drivetrain clunks around so obviously, I'm not very good at it... ;)

big oz

You shouldn't really slide the derailluer down more than a smidge. The feed ramp to shift from small to mid and mid to big is engineered so that you have a hair of clearance over your big ring. Dropping it any substantial amount changes the contact point on the chain plate / cage interface and can jeaporadize shift performance. The only thing you really need to do is to turn in the High stop screw so that it prevents over travel on the front derailluer. To ensure that you get crisper shifts and reduce any chances of dropping the chain put your bike in first gear and in the middle ring. Grab the lower part of your derailluer and swing it forward until it is almost parralel with your stay and zip tie it. Since you no longer have a big ring you can take out all this extra chain. Generally about 3-4 complete links. If you really want to spice it up, replace your rear derailluer with a mid cage XT when you trash the one you got.

Me personally, no bashguard unless the bike has well over six inches of travel front and rear. My SX Trail has a polcarbonate one, but I do some retarded stuff on that thing. My XC bike spends a lot of time in the big ring especially in places like the Rez and the long DHs at Nass.

o3jeff

Bah, just leave it. That's what I did, and I know which screw it is. ;)

If you move the derailleur down you'll probably have to readjust the cable too. As long as it's shifting fine why mess with it. The bashguard won't let you move past the middle ring, so you're not going to throw a chain or anything. It's probably not very good for your chain if you try to though, which I guess is the argument to adjust the screw.

Figured out the adjustment screw too.

Greg

Staff member
The bashguard looked good yesterday, Jeff.