• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

UMass Ski n' Board Club Sale this weekend!!

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
As an alum, I can't help but remind you all to check it out if you're close, - one of the best sales around, even worth a drive!

In the Student Union/Campus Center at UMass-Amherst

Thursday Nov. 20 11-8
Friday Nov. 21 11-8
Saturday Nov. 22 11-6
The sale is a huge event, local ski shops bring in $3 million of skis, boards, clothes and accessories and mark it down 50-70%. The ski sale helps to support the UMASS Ski and Board club

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
just to verify... these are local ski "dealers"... so it's not a ski swap type thing, we're talking the big boys bringing in their wares? so one could assume we'll see mostly new skis, this seasons models? perhaps a few of the lesser liked last years' models?

just trying to decide if it's worth a drive out to pick up a deal. bear in mind the type of deal i'd be looking for would be top of the line models for 200-300 or so. for example, say a volkl 5 star or something.

think there will be any really cheap (but really good quality) helmets?

i'm just hesitent to believe that the big boys will bring anything of quality and sell it cheaply. i'm hoping i'm wrong!!! i could really use a helmet and a shorter pair of bump/tree skis!

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
yes, all brand new "leftovers" - though you might find some of this year's models too - though realistically, not that much has changed from last year, except for those models with integrated binding systems.

in the past, i've gotten a top pair of Salomon slalom skis with the titananium bindings for about $400 - and a nale snowboard setup for $225 -

helmets would be worth a look. i'm sure they'll have some there, even if they're new models - but if they're leftovers, sizes and selection might be limited.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
just wanted to say thanks for the tip off on this event! i scored a pair of last years volkl p50 motion (183cm) skis for about 50% off. oops, didn't intend to spend that much... but eh, i needed a shorter power ski, heheh.

the sale was a little smaller than i thought it was going to be. i'd estimate about 5-6 vendors were there from the local area, although 25% of the gear was suspect. people were paying hundreds of dollars for 5-6 year old beginner/intermdeiate models!!

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
glad to hear you got something good. It's always better when you know exactly what you're looking for/at and have some knowledge of gear, so you don't get sold the wrong thing being awestruck by the 50% savings:)

sorry to hear that much seemed to be that old... seems to be a high figure.

i was soooo close to taking off friday afternoon for Amherst, too... with the combo of the sale, Antonio's Pizza by the slice and Bueno Y Sano, and UMaine at UMass hockey (1-1 tie) all calling my name friday night.... it would have been so worth it... of course, i would have come back reallly broke.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
indeed! i didn't think they'd have brand new upper end volkl's, i got the only pair actually. was one of only a handful of skis i would have considered buying and didn't think my odds were that good, so i lucked out.

another follower of hockey east, very nice. i graduated from umass lowell and was a rabid hockey fan while i was there. played with their hockey band for two years, before deciding being on the ski race team was more important ;) i haven't been to a game this year... first year without season tickets since 96! too bad umaine got by with a point!

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
<< too bad umaine got by with a point!>>

hey now... Yah, it's really great how UMass has turned around their program, but I'm from Maine, and a big black bears fan from the Shawn Walsh/Kariya brothers empire era of championships - so I when I was at Umass, I would go & cheer for Maine, cause we (umass) were just so bad then - the team would have a breakaway and trip for no apparent reason.

but good to see the team playing so well - i was torn when they swept Umaine last season...

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
i scored a pair of last years volkl p50 motion (183cm) skis for about 50% off.
Sweet deal. Congrats Steve! 8)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i'm just bitter cause tim whitehead did nothing for umass lowell but took umaine to the championships ;) actually, out of all the teams in HE, i usually root for umaine once umass lowell is out. and umass lowell is always out, hehe.

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
>>tim whitehead did nothing for umass lowell but took umaine to the championships

quality of players makes a huge difference. it's not like umaine has to work extra hard to recruit the best... they usually just go there based on the history of the program.