• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Zip Lines

MogulQueen

Have you ever done a high ropes course or been on a tree top rope tour? I love rock climbing and challenging myself in high places on a belay. I want to know if others share the same thrill and if you would pay to visit a place that would cater to this kind of activity. I am a certified ropes course instructor and have always imagined opening such a place in the NW part of CT. Maybe I can partner with Sundown?? What do you think?

Greg

Staff member
I would try it. Going to Jamaica in September and might try zip lining down there. PM Chris Sullivan or ishovelsnow. It would be cool to establish some sort of summer scene at Sundown - zip lines, MTB, maybe alpine slide...

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
I would try it. Going to Jamaica in September and might try zip lining down there. PM Chris Sullivan or ishovelsnow. It would be cool to establish some sort of summer scene at Sundown - zip lines, MTB, maybe alpine slide...

Gravity carts are fun. We did them at bromely one year. They are like big wheels for adults. More fun and cheaper then an alpine slide. It does seem like a waste to have nothing going on at sundown for the whole summer.

Greg

Staff member
Gravity carts are fun. We did them at bromely one year. They are like big wheels for adults. More fun and cheaper then an alpine slide. It does seem like a waste to have nothing going on at sundown for the whole summer.

Hell yeah. Let's bomb Tom's Treat on these!

:lol:

MogulQueen

Looks like Catamount has a ropes course:

Yeah, I saw that. I would try to get an older more technical market than the birthday party crowd. That course does not appear to be very challenging. The zip lines are way too short.

Greg

Staff member
Looks like Catamount has a ropes course:

Yeah, I saw that. I would try to get an older more technical market than the birthday party crowd. That course does not appear to be very challenging. The zip lines are way too short.

So we're talking a radical ropes course? ;) Sounds right up Jarrod's alley, although I hear he's afraid of heights... :lol:

I'm trying the one at Sno mountain..the former Montage mountain this summer..looks mad steezy..like 500 vert..

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
A zipline is not the same as a ropes course but the small zipline we have had at the Bush the past two summers is busy on the three days it's run. Wildcat has a bigger double zipline which the couple of times I have been there to check it out seems busy on the weekends.

A zipline is more like an amusement ride where a ropes course requires alot of work. The zipline thing all started years ago with the famous multiple ziplines thru the treetops in Costa Rico. My kids loved doing those. Not surprised it's catching on in other resorts who are open in the summer.

campgottagopee

Have you ever done a high ropes course or been on a tree top rope tour? I love rock climbing and challenging myself in high places on a belay. I want to know if others share the same thrill and if you would pay to visit a place that would cater to this kind of activity. I am a certified ropes course instructor and have always imagined opening such a place in the NW part of CT. Maybe I can partner with Sundown?? What do you think?

Zipline, ropes course, tech rock climbing, splunking, you betcha!!!!

I was an outdoor rec major in college, so yeah, I've spent many an hour without touching the ground. :) In fact, when I was at Smuggs I help build and start there "Adventure Camp" that they run in the summers. Haven't been in years now but my fav places to climb where Rattlesnake Point (canada), The "Gunks" (near Newburgh NY) and Owls Head (adks)....................miss all that stuff. Thought I could make a living at it but nowadays it's tough unless you get involved on the cororate side of things and then I'd be dealing w/ people like myself---no thanks:smile:

MogulQueen

Zipline, ropes course, tech rock climbing, splunking, you betcha!!!!

I was an outdoor rec major in college, so yeah, I've spent many an hour without touching the ground. :) In fact, when I was at Smuggs I help build and start there "Adventure Camp" that they run in the summers. Haven't been in years now but my fav places to climb where Rattlesnake Point (canada), The "Gunks" (near Newburgh NY) and Owls Head (adks)....................miss all that stuff. Thought I could make a living at it but nowadays it's tough unless you get involved on the cororate side of things and then I'd be dealing w/ people like myself---no thanks:smile:

I hear ya. I used to be a full time adventure trainer. Tough to make the bills, but what a great life. There are a lot of technical climbers around here so I DON'T want to follow the new trend of zip line birthday parties. I would like to make something more technical and instructional than just lock in and launch. Some other ideas would be to show extreme sport movies and documentaries. Again, maybe at Sundown? I've seen some great films involving skiing(of course), mtb, kayaking, splunking, etc. Ever heard of the Banff Mountain Film Fest? If you haven't, find out the next time it's touring around you and see it. It is amazing!