• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone braving the slush this weekend?

Greg

Staff member
So...despite the monsoons last night, is anyone heading out over the next few days?

R

RJ

Although I'm heading to NH this weekend I will probably just pick up my ski pass and then go for a hike. I don't usually ski until the Christmas break, unless the conditions are excellent.

J

jlangdale

I got a new snowboard setup last night, so I'm thinking I want to try it out now. But I don't think anything is going to be open locally this weekend. Nor is anything open going to be worth driving to. I've got my hopes up Killington will have something doing and maybe a reduced ticket just so I can get on out one day for a little.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Slush and I don't agree! Though I do want to go, I don't want to ruin the rest of the season, so I will sit it out this weekend. Hopefully, I will get out there next weekend.

Max

You know, I haven't been downhill skiing for nearly the past 20 years. All this talk and excitement...I might have to rent some equipment and go out and give it a shot again. Ya think there's still hope for a 55 year old grandpa with rock-solid knees? I might not be able to keep up to you youngsters any more, but it'd be fun trying! :D

Max

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Max, If my sister-in-law could take it up as a beginner at 54, then there should be no problem at all for you returning at 55. You are NOT old, get that thought out of your head!

Grab some skis and come on out! The equipment is so much different than it was then though so don't be surprised to get boots that are not wicked uncomfortable and skis that are not as long as your extended arm. Trust that when they bring you a ski that is not even as tall as you that they are not trying to steer you wrong. I am 5''9" and my skis are 161cm long. (conversion is about 2.5cm to an inch). I used to ski on skis that met my fingertips with my arm extended, I know that is probably what you are used to.
Laurie

Greg

Staff member
Give it a try Max. My father-in-law is 56 and he still skis (he started in his 30's). The new equipment is great. I went from 190's to 205's to 190's to now 183's and I'm 6' 1". The new ski technology may feel more natural to you than you might expect. It can't hurt to try, right? Let us know if you do!

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
Definitely go for it Max!

it's just so easy with the new skis... I highly recommend though that you sign up for a guided demo with new shaped skis or a similar "refresher" type lesson - it's been my experience that people who haven't skied in a long time, or were very used to the old style of skiing on long straight boards, have a little trouble transitioning to the shaped skis, because they try to ski them the same old way.

Not everyone does this, but when they do, they're like, what's the big deal, i don't see how these are supposed to be better.... what you need to do is ski them with a wider, more athletic stance, not ankles together - and get used to the idea of "rolling" your ankles over to initiate carving.

i might head up to SR this weekend, get in a few turns to start breaking in the new boots before my trip to Killi & Colorado in DEC - even if the snow isn't great, it'll be worth some snowtime, and my friend's gotta do some PSIA onsnow training anyway.

J

jlangdale

Well. I definately want to go somewhere Saturday or Sunday. Question is where to go. So far on my list are Killington, Pokemo or Sunday River. Okemo looks to be the cheapest ticket for some potential good sunny slushy ski/boarding this weekend.

ChileMass

Go Max Go - !! I took almost 10 years off when I went back to college, got married, bought a house, etc, so you can get back to it, also. Just keep that head over your toes and you'll be fine......

jimme

Max said:
You know, I haven't been downhill skiing for nearly the past 20 years. All this talk and excitement...I might have to rent some equipment and go out and give it a shot again. Ya think there's still hope for a 55 year old grandpa with rock-solid knees? I might not be able to keep up to you youngsters any more, but it'd be fun trying! :D

Max

GO! I did the same thing. . .didn't ski for 20 years. Got back on the boards three seasons ago! The new equipment is absolutely amazing! Now, I can't get enough of the sport. The rental equipment is far better than whatever you used 20 years back. GO skiing tomorrow while it's warm. There should be some decent "spring" conditions on the few hills that are open.

Jimme

jimme

skiguide said:
Definitely go for it Max!

it's just so easy with the new skis... I highly recommend though that you sign up for a guided demo with new shaped skis or a similar "refresher" type lesson - it's been my experience that people who haven't skied in a long time, or were very used to the old style of skiing on long straight boards, have a little trouble transitioning to the shaped skis, because they try to ski them the same old way.

Not everyone does this, but when they do, they're like, what's the big deal, i don't see how these are supposed to be better.... what you need to do is ski them with a wider, more athletic stance, not ankles together - and get used to the idea of "rolling" your ankles over to initiate carving.

i might head up to SR this weekend, get in a few turns to start breaking in the new boots before my trip to Killi & Colorado in DEC - even if the snow isn't great, it'll be worth some snowtime, and my friend's gotta do some PSIA onsnow training anyway.

:D Maybe I used to ski wrong, because I didn't even have a clue about the "shaped" skis when I started up again a few years ago. By the end of my first day out after 20 years I could tell I was skiing better than I ever had in the past. You are right about the wider stance, and other points. Dang, it took me so long to "pencil ski", and now the stance has gone wide! :wink:

Jimme

Max

Wow, thanks for all the feedback and encouragement! If I had planned things better, maybe I could have gotten out this weekend. As it is, I'm headed out on Saturday for a hike, probably in the Presidentials. But I see some downhill skiing in the cards this winter. I really would like to try the new style equipment, I'm sure it'll be a big change from the 210 cm skis I used to use!

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
Max said:
Wow, thanks for all the feedback and encouragement! If I had planned things better, maybe I could have gotten out this weekend.

Nah, don't sweat it - everywhere's warm & wet slush from the rain & warm temps this week - you're not missing much.

Wait until there's a good snowpack for better grooming and colder temps, and you'll be cruising along.

have a good & safe hike!