43. Tennessee
    44. Connecticut
    45. North Dakota
    46. New Mexico
    47. Alaska
    48. Oklahoma
    49. Montana
    50. Alabama
    I'm pretty surprised the New Jersey is that high on the list.

I would think PA was near the top as apparently the Lehigh Valley and the Poconos are a mecca for M-Bikers..

For road bikes, I love NJ, Bergen county is my favorite. Not a mountain biker but have found some really nice MTB trails as well up in Sussex.

Items for Sale
    What constitutes a "bike friendly" state? Is it that you are able to commute to work on a bike or that you have places to recreational ride?

I guess it's both....seems odd.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Florida better than Connecticut? No F**ing way.
    I guess a bicycle death rate off the scales doesn't matter?
    I think this rating system is more about what the state governments actually do for cyclists?

I've ridden in about 30 states and I'd say drivers in all New England states are much better than average.
    The best and most friendly cycling area I’ve ever ridden is Pennsylvania. From just west of Allentown to Harrisburg to Lancaster. I think it might be due to the numerous Amish buggies, drivers are used to taking their time and don’t get upset about slowing down to get around cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by mlctvt View Post
    Florida better than Connecticut? No F**ing way.
    I guess a bicycle death rate off the scales doesn't matter?
    I think this rating system is more about what the state governments actually do for cyclists?

I've ridden in about 30 states and I'd say drivers in all New England states are much better than average.
    The best and most friendly cycling area Ive ever ridden is Pennsylvania. From just west of Allentown to Harrisburg to Lancaster. I think it might be due to the numerous Amish buggies, drivers are used to taking their time and dont get upset about slowing down to get around cyclists.
    Plus there's the Velodrome..I took lessons there in middle school and the fixed geared bikes with no brakes are challenging..especially when riding on an inclined wall..

Quote Originally Posted by GrilledSteezeSandwich View Post
    Plus there's the Velodrome..I took lessons there in middle school and the fixed geared bikes with no brakes are challenging..especially when riding on an inclined wall..
    Color me shocked that you would know what a velodrome is. No offense intended or anything....
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Color me shocked that you would know what a velodrome is. No offense intended or anything....
    I live less than 10 miles away..

Quote Originally Posted by GrilledSteezeSandwich View Post
    Yes the Trexlertown Velodrome, it's open to the public if there isn't anything scheduled. I rode my bike on it last summer! I did about 10 laps. I'd say I got about 1/2 way up the incline at about 30 MPH.
    We also went to the tandem races there on a Friday night in July; I think it was called Tandemonium. Amazing watching these guys and girls too, they must be doing 50-60 MPH! If I lived in the area I'd definitely go to the events there. Olympians from many different countries come here for months at a time to train. This is the "Mecca" of bicycling in my opinion. The vibe in the area is awesome if you're a cyclist.
    Also the Tuesday? night criterium races in the area attract category 1 and 2 riders; the speeds of these races are just incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by mlctvt View Post
    Yes the Trexlertown Velodrome, it's open to the public if there isn't anything scheduled. I rode my bike on it last summer! I did about 10 laps. I'd say I got about 1/2 way up the incline at about 30 MPH.
    We also went to the tandem races there on a Friday night in July; I think it was called Tandemonium. Amazing watching these guys and girls too, they must be doing 50-60 MPH! If I lived in the area I'd definitely go to the events there. Olympians from many different countries come here for months at a time to train. This is the "Mecca" of bicycling in my opinion. The vibe in the area is awesome if you're a cyclist.
    Also the Tuesday? night criterium races in the area attract category 1 and 2 riders; the speeds of these races are just incredible.
    They had a crit in downtown Allentown that even went through a parking garage and right through the Allentown Brew-works..

Thread Information