• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2009 Bike Friendly State Rankings

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
League of American Bicyclists 2009 Bike Friendly State Rankings
http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/bicyclefriendlyamerica/bicyclefriendlystate/rankings.php

Discuss.

1. Washington - Silver*
2. Wisconsin - Silver*
3. Maine
4. Oregon
5. Minnesota - Bronze*
6. Iowa
7. Arizona - Bronze*
8. New Hampshire
9. Delaware
10. New Jersey
11. Wyoming
12. Illinois
13. Colorado
14. California
15. Michigan
16. Maryland
17. Missouri
18. Utah
19. Massachusetts
20. North Carolina
21. Vermont
22. Hawaii
23. Virginia
24. Mississippi
25. Nevada
26. South Carolina
27. Kentucky
28. South Dakota
29. Indiana
30. Louisiana
31. Georgia
32. Florida
33. Kansas
34. Idaho
35. Rhode Island
36. Texas
37. Nebraska
38. Arkansas
39. Ohio
40. Pennsylvania
41. New York

42. West Virginia
43. Tennessee
44. Connecticut
45. North Dakota
46. New Mexico
47. Alaska
48. Oklahoma
49. Montana
50. Alabama
I'm pretty surprised the New Jersey is that high on the list.

I would think PA was near the top as apparently the Lehigh Valley and the Poconos are a mecca for M-Bikers..

thetrailboss

Staff member
What constitutes a "bike friendly" state? Is it that you are able to commute to work on a bike or that you have places to recreational ride?

I guess it's both....seems odd.

mlctvt

Florida better than Connecticut? No F**ing way.
I guess a bicycle death rate off the scales doesn't matter?
I think this rating system is more about what the state governments actually do for cyclists?

I've ridden in about 30 states and I'd say drivers in all New England states are much better than average.
The best and most friendly cycling area I’ve ever ridden is Pennsylvania. From just west of Allentown to Harrisburg to Lancaster. I think it might be due to the numerous Amish buggies, drivers are used to taking their time and don’t get upset about slowing down to get around cyclists.

Florida better than Connecticut? No F**ing way.
I guess a bicycle death rate off the scales doesn't matter?
I think this rating system is more about what the state governments actually do for cyclists?

I've ridden in about 30 states and I'd say drivers in all New England states are much better than average.
The best and most friendly cycling area I’ve ever ridden is Pennsylvania. From just west of Allentown to Harrisburg to Lancaster. I think it might be due to the numerous Amish buggies, drivers are used to taking their time and don’t get upset about slowing down to get around cyclists.

Plus there's the Velodrome..I took lessons there in middle school and the fixed geared bikes with no brakes are challenging..especially when riding on an inclined wall..

mlctvt

Plus there's the Velodrome..I took lessons there in middle school and the fixed geared bikes with no brakes are challenging..especially when riding on an inclined wall..

Yes the Trexlertown Velodrome, it's open to the public if there isn't anything scheduled. I rode my bike on it last summer! I did about 10 laps. I'd say I got about 1/2 way up the incline at about 30 MPH.
We also went to the tandem races there on a Friday night in July; I think it was called Tandemonium. Amazing watching these guys and girls too, they must be doing 50-60 MPH! If I lived in the area I'd definitely go to the events there. Olympians from many different countries come here for months at a time to train. This is the "Mecca" of bicycling in my opinion. The vibe in the area is awesome if you're a cyclist.
Also the Tuesday? night criterium races in the area attract category 1 and 2 riders; the speeds of these races are just incredible.

Yes the Trexlertown Velodrome, it's open to the public if there isn't anything scheduled. I rode my bike on it last summer! I did about 10 laps. I'd say I got about 1/2 way up the incline at about 30 MPH.
We also went to the tandem races there on a Friday night in July; I think it was called Tandemonium. Amazing watching these guys and girls too, they must be doing 50-60 MPH! If I lived in the area I'd definitely go to the events there. Olympians from many different countries come here for months at a time to train. This is the "Mecca" of bicycling in my opinion. The vibe in the area is awesome if you're a cyclist.
Also the Tuesday? night criterium races in the area attract category 1 and 2 riders; the speeds of these races are just incredible.

They had a crit in downtown Allentown that even went through a parking garage and right through the Allentown Brew-works..

roark

unless this is mtb I don't see how NH can be ahead of CA in any way. I don't think there is a single bike lane in this state. Curvy two land highways with little to no shoulder, the accumlation of debris on the shoulder, .... I ain't buying it.

KevinF

I'm not sure what goes into ranking a state for bike friendliness, but I have ridden in Montana on two separate occasions. I can't imagine why they are listed as number 49. There's nobody there! There is no way you could have a problem with Montana traffic, because there isn't any!

And Wyoming is number 11? I've ridden there too. The only difference between riding in Montana and Wyoming is that the wind blasts mercilessly in Wyoming, and you occasionally don't have a headwind in Montana. :smile:

bvibert

Staff member