• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Opening Day: 10/29/05

ga2ski

After skiing at opening day at Wildcat yesterday, headed to opening day Killington today with my wife and a friend (yup the same friend that worked yesterday instead of skiing the goods at the Cat).

Today was the second best opening day that I have ever had, only opening day at the Cat yesterday was better.

We arrived a little after 8:00 and got a great spot in the upper lot (thanks to some creative parking by my friend). We headed over to Snowdon as soon as the lifts started to turn at 8:19. Then up the North Ridge Triple (NRT).
Killington_102905_002.thumb.jpg

We skied Rime to warm up and hit the NRT again. We were hanging above the unloading platform when an alarm went off. The attendant ran underneath the lift to fix the problem and all we could hear was snomobiles on the way to fix the lift. We slid off the lift onto the part of loading deck that slopes down hill and climbed up the ramp to the snow-covered portion and we were off. Not knowing how long it would be before the lift was turning again we headed down Upper Double Dipper to Great Northern.
Killington_102905_021.thumb.jpg

Oh by the way Rime and Upper Dipper were in great conditions.

On the way to the down Great Northern we saw that Royal Flush was open. It was amazing all soft bumps and powder. Sorry no pix as I didn't have the camera.

We took several runs on the K-1 Gondola and then hit Snowden after a quick break. Great Bear and NorthStar were all tracked powder but very fun as shown below.

Killington_102905_026.thumb.jpg

Killington_102905_031.thumb.jpg

After multiple runs on Snowdon and on K-1 we did the limbo and skied Cascade. More tracked powder and only a couple rocky sections.

On our final run we limboed again to hit Highline. Once again great tracked powder. I took two great headers that might hurt tomorrow and we called it a day around 1:45.

So Day 2 was almost as good as Day 1. I hope the season continues like this.

Here are the rest of the pictures:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Greg

Staff member
One of you captions says it best, "Still can't believe it is October 29th". You're right. It looks like late February up there. I'll be there on the original anticipated opening of 11/11. Hope some of that base holds out. Really fantastic pics and your wife should be commended for some of those action shots. Two back to back openings.....very well done! I'm happy for you, but extremely jealous! :beer: