• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

German carnage pics

Glenn

This event was so traumatic, it took me months to be able post about it. :-?

My wife called me on my way home from work back in mid February..."Someone hit the car in the parkinglot!" That's a pain, but something we can deal with. 5 minutes later I get a call and she's beyond frantic. She's on the side the road, the car had died and she's convinced it's something major. Long story short, it was something major. The threaded coupler that holds the oil filter housing the block came loose...then fell off. No oil, no oil pressure = one locked up Audi 3.0 V6....with only 46k I may add. So in one day, the car gets hit and the engine goes south. Oh, and a few weeks later, we found out "The Choice" denied our warranty claim because we were over their alotted time limit for oil changes. You've gotta be f-ing kidding me.My wife puts less than 10k a year on the car and I'm going to change the oil 4 times a year with synthetic oil? So if you ever need an aftermarket warranty, tell "The Choice" they suck at life and take your business elsewhere.

My dealer was awesome and really helped us out with this. We ended up with an engine out of an A6 that had 44k on the clock. We've had the car back for a few months now and it runs like nothing ever happened.

Some pics I took at the dealer when they were waiting for the new engine:

The tunnel:
IMG00051Medium.jpg

More tunnel:
IMG00055Medium.jpg

Old engine and trans:
IMG00054Medium-2.jpg

IMG00053Medium.jpg

Observant gear heads take note:
Audi put the transfer case on the back of the trans. A pretty cool design IMHO.
IMG00052Medium.jpg

Did you guys know I did a stint at an autobody shop once summer? It taught me that fixing this bumper would have cost a lot of money. I fixed it myself for about the price of what the Lockness Monster was trying to get from Chef's parents: tree-fitty.

Before:
IMG00080Medium.jpg

After. That's how we roll! Nothing says "Flatlander" more than a German car with CT plates and a Vermont"Euro" sticker.
IMG00081Medium.jpg

drjeff

I just wish this thread had sound associated with it so we could hear the sweet sound of that engine (once fixed)!

Like the bumper repair job too! (And the close up of the chrome tipped exhaust - love looking at those in my garage too! :) )

Glenn

I feel like such I hack for doing it that way. I'm a little OCD and I know that bumper would need to be replaced and the painted blended to the job 100% right. But after paying for the engine, right in the middle of buying the place up north, I figured that was a "good enuff 4 now" fix.

Jeff, that 3 liter sings nicely. I really enjoy getting on the parkway from a dead stop and just opening the car up. Even stock it sounds awesome; I could only imagine it with a nice intake and exhaust.

bvibert

Staff member
You should have had them throw a couple of turbos on the new engine while they were in there. :cool:

hammer

I was just talking to my mechanic yesterday and I asked him whether I should buy an Audi, BMW, or Infiniti. His basic comment...Audis are troublesome, and BMWs are better but they are very expensive to maintain.

He also mentioned that he's had customers who bought their BMWs after the lease was up because it was cheaper, but once the cars get about 80-100K on them things start breaking.

Between that comment and what I've read here (an engine fried at only 46K miles?), I think I'll be looking at the Infiniti. Real shame...the Audi and BMWs I test drove were nice cars...

HD333

I my have to use your bumber repair technique, my saab got clipped by a plow and I can't justify fixing the bumper to the tune of 500.

My repair will be a NH Euro though.

HD

drjeff

I was just talking to my mechanic yesterday and I asked him whether I should buy an Audi, BMW, or Infiniti. His basic comment...Audis are troublesome, and BMWs are better but they are very expensive to maintain.

He also mentioned that he's had customers who bought their BMWs after the lease was up because it was cheaper, but once the cars get about 80-100K on them things start breaking.

Between that comment and what I've read here (an engine fried at only 46K miles?), I think I'll be looking at the Infiniti. Real shame...the Audi and BMWs I test drove were nice cars...

If you reread the Glenn's original post, the engine failure was because of an issue with the oil filter coming loose, and if I remember correctly it was very soon after an oil change :(

My wife is on her 3rd Audi (an A4 then an A6 and now a Q7) and between the 3, she's put about 175,000 routine maintenance only(and the occasional body work for "inadvertant contact with inanimate objects" - read as the side of her garage door and the stone wall next to she side of the garage :rolleyes:) over the last almost 7 years.

drjeff

I my have to use your bumber repair technique, my saab got clipped by a plow and I can't justify fixing the bumper to the tune of 500.

My repair will be a NH Euro though.

HD

One of my hygienists Honda Accord sports a Dunkin Donuts Euro Euro sticker in almost the same spot on the bumper for the same reason - DD's colors were a nice compliment to her tan Accord :rolleyes: ;)

hammer

If you reread the Glenn's original post, the engine failure was because of an issue with the oil filter coming loose, and if I remember correctly it was very soon after an oil change :(
Here's the excerpt on what happened...

The threaded coupler that holds the oil filter housing the block came loose...then fell off. No oil, no oil pressure = one locked up Audi 3.0 V6....with only 46k I may add.

What is the warranty on these cars? I thought that most new cars would be under warranty at 46K miles...

Also, if the engine failure can be traced to a bad oil change, then maybe it's time to go back to the shop that did the oil change and try to get them to pay for the new engine...

My wife is on her 3rd Audi (an A4 then an A6 and now a Q7) and between the 3, she's put about 175,000 routine maintenance only(and the occasional body work for "inadvertant contact with inanimate objects" - read as the side of her garage door and the stone wall next to she side of the garage :rolleyes:) over the last almost 7 years.
I'm glad that you have had a good repair history with your Audis...I guess I'd be more likely to get one if I knew how well they ran based on personal experience.

Unfortunately, overall statistics and a personal recommendation from a trusted mechanic don't agree with your experiences.

TheBEast

I'll stick with my Toyotas.......bad experiences with my wife's VW Jetta......

I do like the bumper repair! Very creative!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Observant gear heads take note:
Audi put the transfer case on the back of the trans. A pretty cool design IMHO.
IMG00052Medium.jpg

It's not a transfer case, it's actually a Torsen differential. I worked with one once on my college's Formula SAE car. They are really cool. The Hummer (H1) has Torsens for the front and rear diff's. Spendy though, and unfortunately to pricy and heavy to put as all three diff's, although that would be a sweet set up.

Used to have an S4. I bought it under CPO warranty and I'm glad I did. I'd have paid out a lot of money for replacement stuff if I hadn't. Also glad I sold it before the warranty was up (by about 4 months).

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

I totally agree the 47k cease-job is definitely an anomoly. But, you and your wife get a new car at or before the dreaded 80-100k mile marker. I wouldn't want to be commuting in an Audi with upwards of 100k on any regular basis with a decent commute.

(I'm on my 2nd audi...and enjoy them thoroughly...have had no major engine issues.....but have had some minor, annoying electrical issues......I'm thinking a loaded Subi outback will be my next car).

nice..looks like a baller ride..I always wanted an Audi but having VWs in the past meant expensive maintenence..I'm happy with my Subie for now..53,000 miles and still on the origional engine..lol

drjeff

I totally agree the 47k cease-job is definitely an anomoly. But, you and your wife get a new car at or before the dreaded 80-100k mile marker. I wouldn't want to be commuting in an Audi with upwards of 100k on any regular basis with a decent commute.

(I'm on my 2nd audi...and enjoy them thoroughly...have had no major engine issues.....but have had some minor, annoying electrical issues......I'm thinking a loaded Subi outback will be my next car).

There's a direct correlation between my wife getting a new Audi and the arrival our our kids ;)

No kids = A4 (still THE most fun car I've ever had the pleasure of driving for more than just the token test drive or weekend rental :) )

1 kid = A6

2 kids = Q7 - which is now just shy of 3 years old and 80k miles - and based on the speeding ticket my wife picked up in it yesterday, that engine can still put some smooth horsepower to the pavement :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

There's a direct correlation between my wife getting a new Audi and the arrival our our kids ;)

No kids = A4 (still THE most fun car I've ever had the pleasure of driving for more than just the token test drive or weekend rental :) )

1 kid = A6

2 kids = Q7 - which is now just shy of 3 years old and 80k miles - and based on the speeding ticket my wife picked up in it yesterday, that engine can still put some smooth horsepower to the pavement :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Well you have big freaking dogs as well..now it seems like all families with 2 kids or even 1 have SUVs..when I was a kid..we just had regular cars..lucky kids today get to watch Barney on the way to Grandmas house or Wallyworld.

drjeff

Well you have big freaking dogs as well..now it seems like all families with 2 kids or even 1 have SUVs..when I was a kid..we just had regular cars..lucky kids today get to watch Barney on the way to Grandmas house or Wallyworld.

Thanks GSS, almost forgot about the 160 or so lbs of Boxers we also cart around ;) (mine and my wife's "first" kids) ;)

What I'm finding now that really gets crazy is as the kids get involved with school field trips and/or team sports, what seems like a vehicle that has a TON of space when it's just me and either my wife or 1 kid in it, suddenly seems really small when you're carrying around 6 kids and their associated back packs/gear :eek:

Thanks GSS, almost forgot about the 160 or so lbs of Boxers we also cart around ;) (mine and my wife's "first" kids) ;)

What I'm finding now that really gets crazy is as the kids get involved with school field trips and/or team sports, what seems like a vehicle that has a TON of space when it's just me and either my wife or 1 kid in it, suddenly seems really small when you're carrying around 6 kids and their associated back packs/gear :eek:

Yeah and with seatbelt laws..you can't cram 4 kids into the backseat like in the past..

drjeff

Yeah and with seatbelt laws..you can't cram 4 kids into the backseat like in the past..

Nope, all I can do is belt 3 into the 3rd row seats, 2 in the mid row buckets and 1 upfront with me in my car. My wife can go 3 in the 3rd row, 3 in the mid row and 1 upfront with her - just one 1 more giddy screaming 3 to 7 year old kid for her driving pleasure over mine ;)